Cargo Van Tips

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
BG 44K Performance Enhancer (Fuel System cleaner) every 10,000 miles. - Improves mpg's.

Mobil 1 5-30W Truck & SUV Blend - Improves mpg's.

Meguiar's NXT Car Wash - Cleans off the bugs and road grime. Prepares finish for NXT Tech Wax.

Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax - Improves mpg's. Reduces drag across surface areas.

FIA Bug Screen - Keeps bugs, leaves and other debris out of radiator. Prevents stones from chipping away anodizing on radiator. Keeps engine running cooler.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
BG 44K Performance Enhancer (Fuel System cleaner) every 10,000 miles. - Improves mpg's.

Mobil 1 5-30W Truck & SUV Blend - Improves mpg's.
"Improves mpgs" by how much, exactly?

Meguiar's NXT Car Wash - Cleans off the bugs and road grime. Prepares finish for NXT Tech Wax.
Does this product cost more than other wash products, and if so, is it worth the difference?

Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax - Improves mpg's. Reduces drag across surface areas.
Same questions as above.

FIA Bug Screen - Keeps bugs, leaves and other debris out of radiator. Prevents stones from chipping away anodizing on radiator. Keeps engine running cooler.
Does this bug screen not add surface drag?

A better decision could be made if one knew the cost of the products, and the increase in mpgs that you attribute to their performance. In other words, spending dollars to save cents, doesn't make sense., but if the products actually pay for themselves, that would be good to know.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
True.

Meguiar's products are on par with most others and actually less expensive than many others.

Meguiar's® expertise in ESP technology has led to the development of a completely synthetic car wash concentrate that loosens and emulsifies even the toughest dirt and road grime with xtreme sudsing action. This pH balanced, non-detergent formula won't strip off wax protection and is gentle on all painted finishes as well as rubber, vinyl, and plastic components. Meguiar's NXT Generation® Car Wash is the first step to an amped up shine, and prepares your paint for an application of Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax. G12619 18 oz. $4.99

NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 is a scientific breakthrough that introduces a new dimension of gloss and protection. This better-than-ever formula produces unbelievably deep, vibrant color and a dramatically clear wet-look. New Hydrophobic Polymer Technology provides relentless water beading and protection against oxidation, corrosion, UV rays and surface degradation. Hydrophobic means water-fearing and this new breakthrough technology builds such incredible protection and surface tension that water beads up and just glides off your paint finish, wash after wash! G12718 18 oz. $17.39

NOTE: My first bottle lasted two years. Waxed the van twice a year. Every person that bought one of my vans couldn't believe how new it looked. That translated into a much better selling price. You'll have to determine what that is worth to you persoanlly.

The Fia Bug Screen was added to my first van after driving it for approximately 6 months. I saw no change in mileage after adding it to the truck. It is a custom-fit product and only covers the air intake areas. It does not disrupt the airflow over the hood. A traditional bug deflector (designed to prevent bugs from hitting the windshield) does disrupt the airflow and decreases mileage. I had one of those, but removed it after I read a few articles regarding the drag they create. I suggest you visit the Fia website and make your own decision based upon the info provided. Considering the cost of replacing a radiator, and the subsequent down time, I am more than satisfied with the Fia Bug Screen.

As far as mileage improvements...well, my dynamometer is broken so can't place the van on it to give you the exact specs you are seeking. How about simple physics instead? A smoother surface decreases drag. Or basic economics? Pitch the cost of a radiator replacement against $34.00 for the Fia Bug Screen. How about increasing the resale value of any vehicle? How about just make your truck easier to keep clean because you have a good coat of good wax on it and you can wash of the grime with a great washing product?

Oh, if you really want to know about Mobil 1 and the benefits of synthetic oil, ask Greg Sucher, ASE Master Technician, owner of the Vandalia Auto Clinic. He only has 30 years of experience and hosts a weekly radio program.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't vouch for the 5w30 but in my Duramax (in a pickup) I have seen a near consistent 2% improvement with Mobil Delvac 1 (5w40 diesel oil). Thought I'd test it out and I admit I'm surprised at the fuel saving. Now if I can get the drain interval out far enough that it and the fuel saving will pay for the $7 a quart cost........

Right on with the Megauriers products. They really do have better stuff as they are a company filled with and owned by collector car nuts!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1/4 inch galvanized hardware cloth attached with some cable ties to the back side of the grill works great for bug and rock protection. Cheap too!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm with you on the Meguiar's as it's some really good stuff. And the bug screen (even though I don't have one yet).

But recommending a particular oil in blanket fashion can be dangerous. The benefits of long-change interval synthetic oil should be obvious, but you have to take into account what the engine manufacturer says about oil, not to mention what kind of oil has been run in the engine previously. Each brand and viscosity of oil will wear an engine differently, and changing oil types will result in excessive engine wear. It's best to pick whatever oil you want to use from day one, and use that oil for the life of the vehicle. If you've been using a dino oil for a year or three and want to change to synthetic, that'a fine, but you should probably use the synthetic equivalent of whatever brand you've been using.

I use Mobile 1 0W-40 fully synthetic in my Sprinter, because it's recommended by the manufacturer, and it was the initial fill oil at the factory. As long as I own the van, it's highly unlikely that a different oil will ever be used in it.

Incidentally, a fuel system cleaner should be used every tank, not just after x number of miles. The key to not only keeping engine wear at a minimum, but keeping the "cleaning process" from causing abnormal wear, is to keep the fuel system clean as you go. If you run a gasser and use Top Tier gasolines, a fuel system cleaner is largely unnecessary, as that's what a Top Tier gasoline does in the first place.

I use Howes Meaner Power Cleaner in every tank for diesel. Most Pilot's have that currently on sale as $3 off the regular $14.99 price, and the Iowa 80 in Wolcott has it for a flat $10 a bottle (I bought several).

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
1/4 inch galvanized hardware cloth attached with some cable ties to the back side of the grill works great for bug and rock protection. Cheap too!

That's brilliant. I like it.

Now, where to get some 1/4 inch galvanized hardware cloth...

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Good point on the fuel system cleaner.

The BG 44K line of products are intended to work in conjunction with what is done on a daily basis. It is like brushing your teeth. Toothpaste does are a good job for our daily use, but we ocassionally go to the dentist for a cleaning with higher quality products and more sophisticated equipment. You might review their site regarding the Induction System Cleaning Process.

Another advantage of the Fia Bug screen is that they offer a Winter Front too. Especially beneficial for diesel engines.

Just unsnap the Fia Bug Screen and snap on the Fia Winter Front. It has two openings that can be opened and closed as needed. The openings are held open by Velcro fastners.

GM master techs recommend Dino oil for the first 10K and then switching over to synthetic. I don't push the upper limits on the extended oil change aspects of synthetic oil.

I do like the GM Engine Oil Monitoring System because driving in extremely hot weather or hauling a lot of heavy loads can markedly change the life of the oil; therefore, the change cycle can not be based solely upon the number of miles driven.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thank you all for elaborating: "increased mpgs" just isn't enough information to be persuasive, so I had to ask.
Another question: by how much would mpgs decline, if a traditional bugcatcher is used? Does anyone have any idea? :confused:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's brilliant. I like it.

Now, where to get some 1/4 inch galvanized hardware cloth...

Any hardware store or home store should have it. A small local hardware store will probably cut it to size for you. If not you will need a snips or nibbler to cut it.

As for the Meguiar's products... Turtle I am shocked! Your species makes some excellent car care products.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I use Mobile 1 (5W20) fully synthetic oil. which is about 50$ for an oil change at Wal Mart. Isn't it almost the same as the other? Pretty good tips except I have to get a load so I can pay for some of this stuff. I consistintly seem to be getting about 17.5 mpg out of my Ford E350 van. Is that good? Also going to fill my tires with Nitrogen but need to find a place. Anyone know if Walmart does it? Thanks

Booker

Expert Expediter
If you are at home go to the Goodyear store in Salem. I had nitrogen put in my car tires last year at this facility.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
If you are at home go to the Goodyear store in Salem. I had nitrogen put in my car tires last year at this facility.

The Tire Barn's in Indiana do the Nitrogen as well. For a passenger car/cargo van tire the charge is $4 per tire. Not sure of the charge for the larger truck tires. If you buy your tires there they automatically come with Nitrogen.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hello Falligator,

Terry's Tire Centers in Alliance installs Nitrogen.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Yeah, I wasn't at home when I made that pm...I'm home now. I'll give them a call. From experience, that place (goodyear) there on E. state st. is pretty expensive.........:confused:

Just bought that wax...going to see how good it works...have to wait until it cools off a bit before I get out to my van.....

Last edited:

flattop40

Expert Expediter
I consistintly seem to be getting about 17.5 mpg out of my Ford E350 van. Is that good?

I have an E350 also. Was getting same mpg as you until I did 3 things. 1st bought a K&N air filter. 2nd stopped using fuel with ethonol. 3rd NEVER let the rpm's exceed 2k even on starts. With this I get 19-21 depending on load, traffic, and weather.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use Mobile 1 (5W20) fully synthetic oil. which is about 50$ for an oil change at Wal Mart. Isn't it almost the same as the other? Pretty good tips except I have to get a load so I can pay for some of this stuff. I consistintly seem to be getting about 17.5 mpg out of my Ford E350 van. Is that good? Also going to fill my tires with Nitrogen but need to find a place. Anyone know if Walmart does it? Thanks

I got my nitro at Belle Tire chain....free.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Actually, Kendall GT 1 is a 229.3 oil (MB Specs)
Mobile 1 0W-40 is 229.5

Not really the same properties. Not that big a deal in a Ford, like it would be in a Sprinter, but there's a difference in the properties (other than merely the weight and viscosity). The MB Specs, while mainly meaningless to a non-Mercedes vehicle, do apply to the oil itself moreso than the vehicle, so they can be very helpful in determining what a particular oil can and cannot do, what it's properties are, far beyond the simple weight and viscosity numbers and API classifications.

Kendall GT 1 is a higher ash oil, for example, than Mobile 1 0W-40 or Mobile 1 5W-40 (Delvac). The Kendall oil has the same properties as some of the Mobile 1 SuperSyn oils, like the SuperSyn European Car Formula 0W-40, and the SyperSyn 5W-40 and 5W-50 oils.

Basically, all oils that meet the same MB specs, regardless of brand, will be priced about the same. It's not really about advertising (contrary to popular belief, that's not even how advertising budgets work, anyway), it's more like all 229.3 oils will be priced the same, and all 229.5 oils are priced similarly. The SuperSyns and the Kendall are priced about the same, for example.

Main thing is, since engines wear differently with different brands and types of oil (I cannot stress that enough), pick an oil that will do what your engine requires, and stick with it. Don't be changin' oils just to be changin' oils, or worse, 'cause one is cheaper. You will get what you pay for.

Kendall GT-1 is a very good oil, and will give you about a 1% increase in fuel economy over a dino oil. So will all other 229.3 oils. The 229.5 oils will give you about a 1.8% increase in fuel economy, tho.

I'm a big proponent of synthetic oils for a lot of reasons. They give better fuel economy than dino oils. They have significantly longer invervals between oil changes (229.3's like the Kendall are rated for 15,000 to 20,000 miles between changes, and the 229.5 oil can go up to 25,000 depending on gas or diesel), therefore, the longer you can go between changes, the fewer chances there are of any of your oil finding its way into a landfill somewhere. Not to mention that the longer you go between oil changes, the less foreign oil you will be using.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I use "Howes Lubricator" in both my F 250 & E 350, I guess at what is an ounce or two at each fill up. The E 350 gets 20 mpg with 2400 lbs in it, to about 23.5 empty as long as I stay under 65 mph.
P.S
on today's front page under News Items head lines
"Bolt Express introduces new cash advance program" the article doesen't tell or explain anything. I work for Bolt and have heard nothing about it. Anyone out here with knowledge of this program?