Can you make a living as a single van driver?

fedexhatch

Seasoned Expediter
thanks Chef! I just want to pay my bills clearing 750 to 850 will do that. I just dont want to waste my time. I spent 14 yrs managing car dealerships having anywhere from 30 to 90 employees and that will drive you nuts! talk about talking to your self!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Pantherhatch wrote:

I spent 14 yrs managing car dealerships having anywhere from 30 to 90 employees and that will drive you nuts! talk about talking to your self!

LOL, been there dine that....New car, used car, truck sales and manager...GM for a large Chevy store.....God bless you when he cut you loose for that....LOL, yea i still remember talking to myself about "gross per unit" and advertising per unit on my way home after a 12 hour long night....that is one of the reasons i love it out here.....

One other thing to think about, the 2 companies you mentioned will limit the miles you drive per load, whole others will not. Now that might not be an issue during the good times when freight is all over and moving...when it slows down, you will want those long runs to fill the piggy bank....you might think about just who you are contracted to......

fedexhatch

Seasoned Expediter
I always gave them six days a week and never took a day off. when they went to open seven days a week I said i've had enough! handed them the keys and said good by!:)

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I did the same thing in a Lincoln Merc dealership...lol one of my used car salesmen had a few brothers in tyhe road excavating and paving business, he told the owner that there would be no driveways to get into the dealship if they opened on sundays and to prove his point he had his brother drop a D6 Cat dozer off across the street in a closed shopping center parking lot...we all had a hell of a laugh whhen he walked over and fired it up and backed it off the lo-boy,,,the owner got the message, but more then a few left....6 days a week in any business and especially the car business is enough....

As to which companies will let you run, you will find they are the MID size companies... call recuriters....

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I have been offered a job with Panther and also FedX. my question is ( can I truly make a good living as a single van driver) I know all you drivers out there dont have anything to gain so i'll get the truth and not a bed of roses! thanks

I dont mind hard work i've worked all my life and im 56 I just need to make it home clearing about 1250 a week to pay my bills. I hope thats a number I can reach.:)

Thanks everyone! I dont need that much,I would like that much. that's about what I use to make in the car buss. can I make 52 without much problem?

everyone has been a big help! I know im not going to get rich but I would like to bring home 1000 a week just so I wont hear (" I told you so from the wife!"

I guess thats true, but I feel my time is worth alot more then 500 bucks a week and to be out here for three weeks in a row I better be getting more then If I worked at wal mart.

OVM you have been out here for a long time. can I clear 1000 a week with watching what I spend and work hard?

thanks Chef! I just want to pay my bills clearing 750 to 850 will do that............

Welcome to the world of expediting! Your expectations have already come down from clearing $65K/yr to $39K/yr in 2 short days! Now reduce it again to average out by number of weeks 'worked', as 'Chef' stated, so say about 45-48 weeks/yr x $750 and you're down to $33,750/yr. Keep working at it. Do the math! Calculate all your expenses. Pick an average rate to base your annual fuel price on, and your vehicle's fuel mileage on. Don't forget to calculate an estimated average deadhead on every mile you're paid for, and the fuel that will be required to run those miles (could be 30-35%). Have a good read of the archives here at EO, there is lots of relevant information!

You ask a valid question for a newbie, 'why do it if the money is no more than working at Walmart'? This is like any self-employment venture, where you cannot know your earnings in advance, you cannot rely on clearing a certain amount on a regular basis to help with your mandatory household bills, you cannot count on only working a set number of hours per week, your 'holidays' will be chosen for you like it or not, based on your customer's needs, rather than your own. There are regular downtimes in this industry and they may not be when 'you' might choose to have a week off. Things will happen that are totally not in your control which will affect your ability to earn. You may be ready and willing to run run run, but your carrier will limit you for safety reasons and to share the wealth amongst all their contractors.

Like any successful entrepreneur, you've got to be mentally prepared and financially able to work contentedly within this huge unknown. You'll revel at your earning-ability when you get a good streak of luck here and there, and you'll cry when things seem to be in a slump. And then it can change again at the drop of a hat. Walmart people would rather know what they're going to make, they'd rather have structure, a supervisor telling them what to do, regular business hours, be told what to wear, take a regular lunch break, no stress, no calculating, no big decisions, etc.

Pretty well every dollar you earn at Walmart is going to be taxed, whereas your expediting income will be offset so that most or all of it (after expenses) will be yours. You'll have some writeoffs that you would not have if you worked at Walmart. So if you ended up clearing an average $500/week after expenses in expediting (do Walmart people make $500/week?), most of that $500 is going to stay with you. The Walmart people are going to be taxed on top. So in effect, you can make much less in expediting, and end up with the same in your pocket, because of the taxes.

With all that said, you will find that many expediters are in a position, for one reason or another, of not HAVING to bring home a certain amount of cash for household expenses, ie they may be single and live on the road, or they may be a couple and live on the road, or they've whittled down their household expenses to very little (ie no car loans, no mortgage, no cable required, none of the usual trappings of suburbia, etc), perhaps they might have a home address shared with other family; They might also have another more reliable income source (such as a pension of some sort, or a high-earner spouse) to rely on to pay the mandatory bills, whatever.

A recipe for failure would be to enter this business knowing that you MUST bring home $2000/month (or any other amount) clear for the household bills on a regularly scheduled basis. And just like any other self-employed venture, never calculate your earnings by the hour. You'll read it in the archives and you'll see it come up again, this is a lifestyle, and not a job. :D

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I would like to meet the Wal Mart employee taking home $500.00 a week.

Me too...... but as far as I know, we're comparing (or the OP is/was) Walmart weekly wages to expediting earnings after expenses... so this would be Walmart gross wages before taxes (and not take-home pay), compared to expediting revenue less expenses (also before taxes).

fedexhatch

Seasoned Expediter
thanks for your help and advise. there are many managers at wal marts all over the country making 500 or alot more. life is short and I believe in making every day count. alot of drivers say you cant make 1000 clear a week some say you can. some are positive and some are negative. Im sure there are pitfalls as in any job. im sure there are days you cant get a load.I like the freedom. but I also Like money. I will give it my best everyday and if I fail I wont look back and ask myself what should I have done. give it 100% everyday and you have nothing to hang your head about. I started out in a wash bay of a huge multi location dealership and became the GM for nine of my fourteen years with ninty employees. I will give it my best! after all thats all we can do! right? have a great and safe day drivers!

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
thanks for your help and advise. there are many managers at wal marts all over the country making 500 or alot more. life is short and I believe in making every day count. alot of drivers say you cant make 1000 clear a week some say you can. some are positive and some are negative. Im sure there are pitfalls as in any job. im sure there are days you cant get a load.I like the freedom. but I also Like money. I will give it my best everyday and if I fail I wont look back and ask myself what should I have done. give it 100% everyday and you have nothing to hang your head about. I started out in a wash bay of a huge multi location dealership and became the GM for nine of my fourteen years with ninty employees. I will give it my best! after all thats all we can do! right? have a great and safe day drivers!

Best of luck to you. Have a solid exit plan to minimize the damage. On the one hand you talk about maximizing every day of your life and on the other you talk about wasting time trying to do the impossible.

Now that you have drivers opinions, try calling the recruiters and see if they claim that they can provide what it takes for you to meet your goals. I would love to hear what they tell you.

eb

fedexhatch

Seasoned Expediter
the recruiter at panther said "The average driver makes between four to six thousand a month and his highest paid driver made eleven."

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
the recruiter at panther said "The average driver makes between four to six thousand a month and his highest paid driver made eleven."

Sounds like he is talking gross not net and always keep in mind he is a recruiter. I would guess the highest paid if factual was a team, they do speak in terms of pay to the van not the person.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The Panther recruiter, and all the rest of them, are going to paint the most optimistic picture possible. Those numbers would be gross and the van that made $11k would be a once in a lifetime week for a team with some sort of special circumstances.

fedexhatch

Seasoned Expediter
Im sure! I would thing ok 4 to 6 ok but when he said 11 I thought that had to be a team. I want to do ok I just dont want to do something stupid. thanks guys!

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like he is talking gross not net and always keep in mind he is a recruiter. I would guess the highest paid if factual was a team, they do speak in terms of pay to the van not the person.

And I'm sure that $11,000 only happened one time, one month. And from my own experience in february and march I was out of service the whole time and had $8000 in repairs.

eb

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

WAITTTTT.....if you are looking at what you think your time is worth, well then make sure you figure in maybe waiting for a load for up to 3-4 days in slow times and even more if you are a guy like TJP and sit inLaredo for 9 days....lol

Really if we fiugured ut what we make a hours in service...we would all quit and go to work at Wal-Mart....

If everyone here is hinest they will tell you "it ain't all about the money".....

Hmmm maybe thats a topic for the main forum....:)

That's exactly why I said I don't keep track of my hours anymore. If I did Walmart might look better LOL. With that being said, I am home every night and am happy with that. I put in about 12 hours a day Monday thru Friday give or take. not to mention the half hour drive to my house. If I were to look at my take home pay as opposed the my last job at a courier company, I made more in less hours there, but I am happier now then I was there.