Can you make a living as a single van driver?

guido4475

Not a Member
As far as tows go, I have the towing/roadside assistance package through AT&T for $2.99 a month, and it does cover my van as well, I called and explained it to them, to make sure I was covered.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not to brag,but I have had quite a few weeks bringing home over $1,250 a week after expenses

Yes, definitely some weeks can do quite well. The question is whether you can take home $1250 a week over a 52 week period after operating and living expenses on the road.

guido4475

Not a Member
I think that would be entirely impossible.Those good weeks I make sure the van is mechanically perfect, and bills are caught up and even have a cushion to carry me through the slower weeks.

guido4475

Not a Member
I bought one of those expense record books at a truckstop where u can itemize all ur cost and pay, now that record will open ur eyes where all ur money goes, Ive have learned not to do any impulse buying and or trinkets . Only food, gas , oil as needed, and limited, I mean limit any junk buying. PS, pray for no breakdowns and tows, amen

I do that as well, one page for incoming money, the opposite for outgoing.I get a receipt for every little thing. I want to know where my money goes, and where I need to cutback as well.It also helps me to keep track of my average pay for all miles traveled as well as the average pay per loaded mile, and if it drops below a certain level, I am on the phone wanting to know why to the carrier.I am anal like that in a sense.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I call my company now and ask who what when where are some more loads when its slow, and tell them I putting will work for food signs on my van,,,did that last week and got a 1300 miler in just 2 hrs,, I was a tired puppy.

guido4475

Not a Member
A long time ago a bunch of Roberts Express drivers put a big cardboard sign in front of their trucks in a truckstop that read "will work for food". Somehow, the company heard and got ahold of that picture and was not too happy with them about it.

fedexhatch

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks everyone! I dont need that much,I would like that much. that's about what I use to make in the car buss. can I make 52 without much problem?

fedexhatch

Seasoned Expediter
everyone has been a big help! I know im not going to get rich but I would like to bring home 1000 a week just so I wont hear (" I told you so from the wife!"

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
My ex doesnt tell me that,,,no more,,,thank goodness.
what I like best out here, u can come and go when u want, no one tells u when u can go on vacation, nor do they tell u when u have to work, or go on a lunch break or come in and do inventory or hear the bosses son tell u what to do, or anyother S- bird in a company. ok,,im in a mood. lol:rolleyes:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I did $64,000 or so in a van with FedEx but that was another time and when vans were being paid real money.

Don't forget taxes.

fedexhatch

Seasoned Expediter
which company is the best to work for overall? I dont want to make a mistake and go with the wrong one if I can help it.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks everyone! I dont need that much,I would like that much. that's about what I use to make in the car buss. can I make 52 without much problem?

You can fool yourself into thinking your averaging a grand a week after expenses..... for a while.

You can have weeks that you do very well but your also going to have weeks out here that you spend days sitting and end up grossing a few hundred bucks. Maybe if you upset your wife enough that you stay in service and do not go home for a year straight you might pull it off but I still have my doubts.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
which company is the best to work for overall? I dont want to make a mistake and go with the wrong one if I can help it.

There is no best company, what works for one person doesn't always work for the next person.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
if you dont make money why do it? whats the use?

Everyone has different reasons for doing what they do and money is not always the main one. Some people just like the lifestyle, others don't like a boss breathing down their neck etc. I think you will find a lot of vanners who are successful have more than one source of income. One person can live a great life and be happy with 500 bucks a week while the next person might need a grand to feel the same success is achieved.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
if you dont make money why do it? whats the use?

But you said you needed 1200 a week CLEAR..

to make 1200 you'd need approx 2000 miles a week every week...at 85 cents a mile and 18mpg... you aren't going to make 2000 a week every week...not going to happen.

800 a week is more realistic....so you need to trim your budget.

you must be a 1 income family to need that much...

fedexhatch

Seasoned Expediter
I guess thats true, but I feel my time is worth alot more then 500 bucks a week and to be out here for three weeks in a row I better be getting more then If I worked at wal mart.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Avg a Grand a week, week in and week out...not so much, but a grand avg for WEEKS WORKED over a yrs time probably... now that doesn't mean 52 weeks in service because that ain't going to happen unless you have hired a divorce lawyer...I avg 21 days a month out here (my wife loves it and does a happy dance when i leave after bein out of service) and i am averaging over a grand a week, bit i don't work 52 weeks a yr and have no plans of doing so.

One thing that you didn't say or ask about is being out here alone for weeks on end. You better like yourself alot, and enjoy talking to yourself and answering yourself... lol ...yea its funny but its also true, this job isn't for everyone and no amount of money can make that way. As was said above there are great benefits to being self employed and being out here and not answering to a time clock or boss (well you still answer to the wife) and those things can be there weight in gold, but it can't be all about money either...me i love the road, the countryside, and the tresures of small town America and the people you meet....

Oh and if you really want to do this, beyond having a van to start, have a small fund of maybe 3 months worth of "fixed" expenses in the bank just to pay for the bills in the 1st few months as you build a cash flow....

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I guess thats true, but I feel my time is worth alot more then 500 bucks a week and to be out here for three weeks in a row I better be getting more then If I worked at wal mart

WAITTTTT.....if you are looking at what you think your time is worth, well then make sure you figure in maybe waiting for a load for up to 3-4 days in slow times and even more if you are a guy like TJP and sit inLaredo for 9 days....lol

Really if we fiugured ut what we make a hours in service...we would all quit and go to work at Wal-Mart....

If everyone here is hinest they will tell you "it ain't all about the money".....

Hmmm maybe thats a topic for the main forum....:)