Can you make a living as a single van driver?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I would like to meet the Wal Mart employee taking home $500.00 a week.

Nice to meet you, I was clearing $500 a week. I worked at the Garrett, Indiana distribution center, and was making $15 and hour and I was not maxed out on pay raises. I just couldn't take being in a closed in warehouse for 10 hours or more hours 4 days a week.
What people don't understand about Wal-Mart is that they do their research and pay a competative wage. For the retail stores they pay what all other retail and grocery stores pay, for distribution centers they pay what the other dist. center pay in the area. The problem with Wal'Mart since they are so large is that they could be a leader in pay but instead they are a follower.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I heard the people workin in that Garrett dist Center that were in the "COLD STORAGE" area made close to $22 bucks an hour...yes / no???

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
the recruiter at panther said "The average driver makes between four to six thousand a month and his highest paid driver made eleven."

Be sure you know what 'makes' means to the person saying how much a person 'makes'. The recruiter and/or carrier will not know what the OOs and/or drivers 'make' (end up with after expenses), since everyone's expenses are totally different. They will know some of them, the ones which they take right off the top, but they won't and can't know the rest, and even the ones they know may be different for each of those drivers. When someone is talking about 'how much money they make', this will, or should, mean 'net income', and not gross revenue.

When people are talking numbers, you can never be sure what exactly they mean, or if it is exactly true, or how exactly they do their math. Someone might completely believe they're speaking the truth, when you may find out that it's not what you thought, because your and the other person's understanding of the words spoken might be different.

If someone has a vehicle loan payment of $1000 which comes out of their bank on the 1st of each month. Say their insurance is deducted on the 1st of the month, and their monthly cellphone bill, and their qualcomm, and their bank charges, and whatever other expenses they had, and say that first week of the month was really slow and they 'made' negative $2000. Then say the 3 other weeks of the month they ended up with $1000 on the plus side after expenses. That's great, but is someone going to tell you they average $1000/week because 3 out of 4 weeks netted $1000? Or are they going to take into account that they were under by $2000 the first week, which means for that month they really only averaged $250/week ($3000 gained less $2000 lost = $1000 net divided over 4 weeks)?

Same with the people who may have paid the full cost of their van up front. Are they going to include a monthly amount as an expense over the life of the van? Or are they going to pretend that number doesn't come into the equation of their monthly averages? If someone needs a $4000 repair on their van one month, is it expensed against that one month so that perhaps that month they had a negative income, but the rest of the months look good? It's all a matter of the different ways we can do our math and look at things, and even trick ourselves sometimes to make things look better (or worse) than they actually are.

The language differences that I'm talking about really came to light for me when one time a recruiter stated unequivocally that the carrier paid 100% of the FSC to the driver. But when the details were actually revealed, what the recruiter meant was that the drivers get 100% of their 69% of the FSC. They were on a percentage and the same percentage was applied to the FSC. In my language, 100% is not 69%, but in the recruiter's language, it was absolutely 100%, even with a straight face. :rolleyes:

I believe in your case the recruiter was telling you what the average driver earns in gross revenue, and those numbers would be totally in line for a van. Now start deducting all of your expenses to see what the drivers might 'make'. Then decide if you'd rather be a supervisor at Walmart or an expediter. Many would still rather be an expediter, many would rather stick with Walmart.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I heard the people workin in that Garrett dist Center that were in the "COLD STORAGE" area made close to $22 bucks an hour...yes / no???

Yes, that is probably true, I was working in the freezer -10 and ice cream freezer -20
my job was a hauler to move the skids off the receiving dock into the freezer. Like I said I left there making close to $16 but was not maxed out on pay raises they give you a raise every 90 days till your maxed out takes about three years. I would recommend walmart to anyone looking for a warehouse job, they treat their employees well, we were always getting safety awards and they fed us all the time.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sorry all of you but I don't see what the purpose all these posts are.

What I mean is that something seems to be missing - why does someone need to make a consistent income but have to be in this business (don't laugh at the consistent income thing)?

What are the goals?

Paying bills?

Has anyone mentioned that right now it is a good time for all of us but at the end of the year it may be not such a good time with another economic downturn expected?

Did anyone mention having a budget to offset the ups and downs of this work?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yea i think i said a few post back that he might want to have 3-4 months of expense money in the bank before he starts to pay the bills while he BUILDS UP CASH FLOW.....:rolleyes:

Cash flow would entail money for expenses when things are slow... but then again, i don't use this income to pay for anything other then this business, not my home bills...so i guess i am in a different realm then those trying to pay household bills and busines expenses....to be honest thi business could never pay my household expenses to begin with and if i had set this business up and changed my families lifestyle to do so, id already be out of business and in divorce court.....

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Greg,

Speaking for myself, I'm addressing the op's original goals that he posted. Some people are lifestyle oriented, but this poster seemed to be locked in to being able to meet a certain income level and appeared to being using possible gross income as his expected net income. A budget really isn't going to help if there is not enough money in the equation from the start.

eb

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
That's exactly why I said I don't keep track of my hours anymore. If I did Walmart might look better LOL. With that being said, I am home every night and am happy with that. I put in about 12 hours a day Monday thru Friday give or take. not to mention the half hour drive to my house. If I were to look at my take home pay as opposed the my last job at a courier company, I made more in less hours there, but I am happier now then I was there.

I figured the hourly rate at one time, and it came out to something like 16-19 cents per hour. I was driving a different vehicle then and was bringing home twice as much money as I do now. eeeek.

eb

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I understand EB but I got to mention it.

It seems I ran into a few like him in the past month and got all kinds of looks when I told them how to do this without falling on their a** and every one of the said the same thing "I talked to a guy that said I can make ..." Everyone was set on entering the business to make money because they were either unemployed or underemployed. Talk about underemployment, at $3.53 an hour, what is that if it is not underemployment?

I'm ready to load up the reefer with Tomatoes, Oranges and Watermelon to bring home, that should pay my bills for a while.

I do think when people bring up hourly stuff, they haven't been around enough.

I think for a lot of us, next year is going to repeat last year except worst. I'm looking at the forecasts beyond the political cheerleaders and listening to the people who kept quiet for while after they predicted the 'greatest economic crisis since the depression' that was looming on the horizon in 2007.

I already see one company's talked about changes becoming fact, and another seems to think things will last till March and they are pushing hard to keep their trucks moving to help their contractors but for those starting out, maybe it might be wise not to.

Want to buy some watermelon?