Can you make a living as a single van driver?

fedexhatch

Seasoned Expediter
I have been offered a job with Panther and also FedX. my question is ( can I truly make a good living as a single van driver) I know all you drivers out there dont have anything to gain so i'll get the truth and not a bed of roses! thanks

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Well 1st neither Panther or FedEx or for the most part no Carrier will EMPLOY you as a driver....An Owner of a van that is Contracted to those carriers will but not the carrier. Now, from the wording of your post, i take it that a Owner has offered you the chance to drive a van...again you are not an employee, you are a self employed driver in someone elses van.

As to making a living, that depends on what you are looking at. 1st as a driver in someones else van you will only get a percent of what the van makes each month, that amount will be decided between you and the owner. From there you will need to decide if based on projections if you can make enough to cover what it is you feel you need.

Now if you have your own van and everything the van makes is yours...yeap if you want to work hard and travel all over the country you can do pretty darn good...

fedexhatch

Seasoned Expediter
thank you! I just bought a 2009 express with 43000 miles I paid cash for it at 13500.00 with a 6.0 your sure right! I would be self employed!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Ur fuel alone will be a large part of ur expenses, maybe $300 a week on a so so week, at 15 to 16 mpg. So if u get 2000 miles a week and 95 cents a mile, 1800-300=1500-100food-deadhead milescost say -100,-cellphone'-insurance ,and misc expenses u mite say ur income to you would be maybe, 1000 to 1200 dollars to u if u dont run into back luck and do not buy impulse junk and eat n ur van if u can at least 2 meals a day, eating out will run u 30 bucks a day on the high side. Now the above is my opinon and close estimate after only 2 years out here, other people will have better experience and judgement**********************Im still learning.......................

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ur fuel alone will be a large part of ur expenses, maybe $300 a week on a so so week, at 15 to 16 mpg. So if u get 2000 miles a week and 95 cents a mile, 1800-300=1500-100food-deadhead milescost say -100,-cellphone'-insurance ,and misc expenses u mite say ur income to you would be maybe, 1000 to 1200 dollars to u if u dont run into back luck and do not buy impulse junk and eat n ur van if u can at least 2 meals a day, eating out will run u 30 bucks a day on the high side. Now the above is my opinon and close estimate after only 2 years out here, other people will have better experience and judgement**********************Im still learning.......................

A better base target would be around 1200-1500 miles a week for budget purposes...if you get more then you are better off...because 2000 is a very good week and sometimes it won't be achieved either thru positioning or load selection or PM work.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Another rough rule of thumb I use is that the first week of pay goes to vehicle payment or savings towards next vehicle. Second week goes to fuel. Third week goes to maintenance and fees. If everything gets paid then the last week is yours. Can you prosper at that kind of rate? It's a lot about where the money is going.

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another rough rule of thumb I use is that the first week of pay goes to vehicle payment or savings towards next vehicle. Second week goes to fuel. Third week goes to maintenance and fees. If everything gets paid then the last week is yours. Can you prosper at that kind of rate? It's a lot about where the money is going.

eb

seems the 4th week of your system is the week I bomb out...*LOL* funny how that works..:p

fedexhatch

Seasoned Expediter
I dont mind hard work i've worked all my life and im 56 I just need to make it home clearing about 1250 a week to pay my bills. I hope thats a number I can reach.:)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's $65,000 a year and not something you'll take home as a solo van driver unless you hit home runs every time at bat. You're looking at somewhere around 35-37cpm operating cost when getting paid fsc and 42-43cpm without fsc help. Depending on the carrier that's about 40cpm for you meaning to have $1250 you'd need over 3000 miles a week 52 weeks per year. I don't think a van team would do that as a certainty but definitely don't think a solo van can count on it. Now, you could go to a different carrier that pays more but you're still looking at a very high weekly mileage requirement and no time off at all. Get the free OOIDA spreadsheet and work the numbers to see if you think it can work. Good luck.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I dont mind hard work i've worked all my life and im 56 I just need to make it home clearing about 1250 a week to pay my bills. I hope thats a number I can reach.:)

I'm gonna be blunt here. Clearing 1250 per week on an average just is not going to happen. If you need that much just to pay bills you are not set up at home to succeed in expediting with a van.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm gonna be blunt here. Clearing 1250 per week on an average just is not going to happen. If you need that much just to pay bills you are not set up at home to succeed in expediting with a van.

Blunt works for me...

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
$1250 a week clear, after gas, food, breakdowns,miscellaneous,sleep, waiting, weather, family problems,holidays, ((( AINT GONNA HAPPEN ))), u will need a team driver to even get close and don't pay them either, lol:)

PS: Now all that said, take it easy, don't expect great things to happen out of the starting gate. Some days u will sit for 2 or 3 days, its just happens. 2000 miles a week, u will be a tired camper and if u got 3ooo miles a week,,u will want to take a few days off, its not healthy to run yourself to death. I'm 64 and a 1300 miler is rough on me, 800 mile run is enough for me.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Are you talking 1250 total for the week before expenses? That would be possible 1250 a week after expenses? I don't even think straight truck drivers make that
If my truck makes 8 grand for a month I am lucky to take home 3 grand after expenses, taxes etc

I quit keeping track of all my hours out there, because frankly it is depressing. Don't get me wrong I am doing what I love, but I am not getting rich.

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
Not to brag,but I have had quite a few weeks bringing home over $1,250 a week after expenses with All-State in my van.Some as high as $1,950.00.Anyone in doubt meet up with me, and I will be glad to show you my books. November 2009 averaged 1,150 a week all month long by itself.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I bought one of those expense record books at a truckstop where u can itemize all ur cost and pay, now that record will open ur eyes where all ur money goes, Ive have learned not to do any impulse buying and or trinkets . Only food, gas , oil as needed, and limited, I mean limit any junk buying. PS, pray for no breakdowns and tows, amen