CA Idling and Carb laws

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've been wondering what the new rules are in CA and was worried about going there. But, based on what I've just read on Layover.com, I think most of us will be fine so long as we voluntarily shut our engine down after 5 minutes of idling. It looks like even our APUs are fine for now. Here is what I read:

New California Idling Limits Begin January 1

Beginning January 1, 2008, truckers heading to California will have two new emissions regulations to contend with and another one on the way in December 2008.

As of January 1, truckers won't be allowed to idle for more than five (5) minutes when parked, and 2008 model year engines will be required to have an automatic shutoff functions. The shutoff function will warn a driver within 30 seconds of shutting off.

Also in California, drivers with a diesel-powered Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) attached to the truck that has a 2007 and newer engine must have a particulate filter installed on the APU.

Beginning in December 2008, reefers operating in California that have engines from 2001 or before will have to be retrofitted to reduce emissions by 50 percent. The regulation continually moves up required retrofits on a seven-year, phase-in schedule, with 2002-year reefer units needing retrofits by December 2009, and 2003 units by 2010. A new ultra-low emission standard will begin for engines by 2010.

Reactions: 1 person

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I looked at the CARB website, and got confused on just one point: it says that engines with a model year prior to 2007 can use APUs that are "federal or state certified" - but nowhere does it explain how to determine whether the APU on one's truck is certified.
I spent 2 days in Sacramento last week, using the APU on the truck, and while nobody paid any attention to it, I would like to know whether every APU is supposed to get certified, & if so, how?:confused:

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
If your truck has a Pre emission engine then you can run the apu. But if you have a truck with a new EPA engine then NO you can’t run the apu. CARB says the apu engine must meet the same standard as the truck engine. Only 1 flaw in that is that CARB has yet to certify any apu engine even though both rigmaster and thermo king have both sent engines to CARB for approval CARB has yet to test them. Their way of thinking is if we don’t test them then you can’t use them. CARB doesn’t care one bit about the driver they are wacko’s that have gone over the edge in a big way. Another reason to stop going to CAL

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Scuba, I may be mistaken but it is not if the truck has the 2007 emissions on it, it is if the truck is a 2007 model year or newer. There are trucks running with new 2007 emissions in them but they follow the model year of the chassis.

Also I hate to say this but if we are concern, write to your congressman and senator. Let them know.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
"I spent two days in (sunny and 70) Sacramento last week running my apu"

All these regulations are confusing. But, it seems people are noticing the sensless running of things and giving us what we asked for. Regulations. It's too bad, we'll just have to suck it up.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Well... Calfornication should've forseen this excess waste of fuel and pollution in their screwed up state. I mean... God forbid they don't get their truckloads of latte and other excesses THEY just "don't need".

What's wrong with them? I'd think they'd have watched enough Star Trek to perfect the transporter and replicator so they didn't need the dirty, evil trucks coming into their pristene regime. Get on the ball!!! Picard is waiting!

Don't forget, Col... if those Californicators didn't waste, they wouldn't NEED half of those trucks there. THEY reap what THEY sow too.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Col, do I detect a bit of disapproval in your inclusion of my statement in your post? If so, I wouldn't have run the APU at all, if this truck weren't wired so that I have to run the APU to use the main inverter. I'm afraid that all the power drains will kill the batteries - and I can jumpstart it, or even hotwire it if'n need be, but I'd rather not have to. Can't seem to do anything to the truck without requiring a complete change of clothes.:( Yes, I'm a pathetic rookie mechanic, I know, but I'm learning.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
greg334,
what good will it do to call my senator from wisc about carb laws? i need an explaination here. if it is to keep these stupid laws from spreading then yes i can. to complain about calif laws, why?

an apu with a retrofit dpf can be used in calif. landline thru ooida had a well written article about this subject. check there.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
greg334,
what good will it do to call my senator from wisc about carb laws? i need an explaination here. if it is to keep these stupid laws from spreading then yes i can. to complain about calif laws, why?

an apu with a retrofit dpf can be used in calif. landline thru ooida had a well written article about this subject. check there.

Jack,
Sorry but this is really a boring reply but may be interesting.

The issue is not about the instate truckers being effected, the issue is the inclusion of all truckers who operate on federal roads.

Anti-idle laws are one thing but to ban a truck because of emissions from using federal roads is another matter. The constitution is clear, the US government is there to regulate the commerce between the states, not the states to regulate commerce between the states (Article I, Section 8, Clause 3)and with the Tenth amendment this give the feds the right to stop this even if California wins the fight with the EPA in court.

In '95 the supreme court clarified what the Feds can and can not do, effectively making the California issue a non-starter if it is ever taken into the Supreme Court. They said in '95 that Congress had the power to regulate only
  • the channels of commerce (roads),
  • the instrumentalities of commerce(trucks), and
  • action that substantially affects interstate commerce (emissions and other items)
Upholding the interstate commerce clause and the 10th amendment over environmental laws is paramount to the power that we as citizens hold and who are protected by the constitution. It makes no sense that we, the very people that are affected by what a specific state does should sit silent and allow this to happen.

The Senate and Congress are there to do something about it regardless what the outcome of the lawsuit is and it matters that we do let them know what affects us and how.

And I am all for states rights over the federal government but not in this case. If it starts with this, it may end up with limited travel or even a Soviet style type of tourism, you need a permit to go camping in the state with your MH or tent.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
By the way It's not just CAL in Hammond Ind you can't idle OR run a apu at all so that is another place i wont go to. A cop came to where i was loading at and handed me a sheet of paper that lists the ordences for Hammond. NO APU'S PERIOD

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Cheri, yes you did. Bad truck!! Makes me wonder tho, if a simple rewire, or adding an isolated battery for entertainment things wouldn't make more sense? Economically. Problem I personally have with what I see running needlessly, is soon I won't be able to be somewhat comfortable the four or five times a year I NEED to, because I won't be allowed to.

R

riverrat

the CARB rules are starting to open a floodgate of anti idling laws across the country the latest is Louisville Ky. where the city council is now considering banning idling.
I would hope as this starts to cause truckers all across the country that they would finally ban together and do something about it.
Mark my words if we don't do something about this insane idea and Ca. gets away with this we will be open to all kinds of stupid,insane rules and regulations that any politition can make up and they will know that they can get away with just about anything and the trucking industry won't say a word.

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
perfect solution although easier said then done if louisville bans idling move the truck show out of town there are plenty of places in the midwest that would be happy to have all the moolah that is bought in by that show just a thought