Become an Expediter, See the Country

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Freight prices have been under pressure up here for the last year or so. Our dispatch has turned down or lost a lot of runs based on pricing as they refuse to accept calls for low pricing. Nice idea but I've noticed these guys are not pricing consistently as I've done the exact same load 6 times and had as many as 3 different prices (2.10/mile - 1.79/mile and back up). One load I did that only went 50 miles was priced at .65/mile and their argument was "You're going there anyways so we gave the customer a deal". I was driving the flatdeck so no profit to drive that load. The joys of someone in the office just thinking of their end.
Rob

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I say get rid of the vacationers and of course, ban the van. Freeing the industry of these two pests will level the playing field for those poor truck O/O's who will haul a load for the price of fuel and a hamburger. Gotta keep those wheels rollin'. Do the Mud Shark Dance. Keep moving or die.

TonyG

Seasoned Expediter
As stated in a previous post most of any sightseeing is done through the windshield on the way to the shipper/customer, but just recently I was able to stop & be a tourist for a short time at Tombstone AZ and a week or so later at The Alamo.

Last edited:

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Yep it sure is my opinion, it is that same opinion that seems to be behind the help to others who have fallen for the same BS line that this is an easy way to make a living.

I wouldn't go so far to say Most who say they are glad they did this, maybe some but not most.

But put into context of what I and others seem to be saying - it isn't about the seeing the country but rather the problem when that becomes the one and only goal.

I think Highway seems to be saying it a different way but nonetheless - most seem to b*tch about cheap rates and while a lot of us hold the line on rates and struggle with rates that seem to be lower than they should be, a lot of others accept it as part of the great big vacation concept and enable the companies to continue to lower the rates. Just enough to pay the insurance and gas and that's it - who cares if the run is for 50 cents a mile, it is getting me to where I want to go - see the USA in my Chevrolet, literally.

I can't believe you are really that p'd off about this, nor that "sightseers" are bringing the rates down... I, like a few others, suspect some axe to grind. A pattern of this, by you, has been established in previous posts. Besides, the really low rates are being perpetrated by only a few carriers. The idea that the people out here are taking low rates just to see the USA is preposterous...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've talked to a few, all in vans, who are retired, and don't need the money - just want to be paid tourists. Probably not enough to keep rates down, but they're definitely out there.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Chef, business first, play later.

Promoting the obvious seems to step away from reality. Let's say it is an added bonus but not a reason to become an expediter, that is a foolish and rather dumb reasoning . . .

What you refer to as being "foolish" and "dumb" reasoning can also be viewed as intelligent reasoning. It is in line with the advise that many successful people have given to those who are searching for their "best" career path.

The advise is often:

Find something that you love to do

The reasoning is that you will be much more energized and passionate about something that you love to do. You will be more apt to work harder, learn more and become more successful.

This is something that I often see with successful business people in the trucking industry. Sometimes their initial reasons for entering the field are:

I love driving
I love seeing the country
I love trucks
etc.

The enjoyment they derive from their chosen career path allows them to mix pleasure with business and become successful at a level much higher than someone who puts business first at the expense of pleasure.

This is often emphasized by Warren Buffet:

"Buffett said that he did not see a good labor market for some time to come. Nevertheless, he said, he advised young people to "follow their passion" and do what they loved. If that did not provide a living, they should try something else."

Ben Stein dines with Warren Buffett - Dec. 18, 2009

If someone came up to me and said they were considering getting into Expediting because they would like to "see the country" I would never call them foolish or dumb. I would say that is an excellent reason.:D

. . .- to enter a business when you are putting in a bunch of money into a truck and equipment then go through the hassle to learn a business just to be a traveler. You know what I mean?

OR
The desire to be a traveler is an excellent reason to invest in a truck and eqipment then learn everything about the business without any hassle. ;)

. . . - it isn't about the seeing the country but rather the problem when that becomes the one and only goal.

I think Highway seems to be saying it a different way but nonetheless - most seem to b*tch about cheap rates and while a lot of us hold the line on rates and struggle with rates that seem to be lower than they should be, a lot of others accept it as part of the great big vacation concept and enable the companies to continue to lower the rates. Just enough to pay the insurance and gas and that's it - who cares if the run is for 50 cents a mile, it is getting me to where I want to go - see the USA in my Chevrolet, literally.

That hypothetical driver that invested the time and money to enter this business with "seeing the country" as their ONLY goal is a very rare breed that I have yet to run across.

I have found that many of the RV'ers in the hotels on wheels that you often refer to have the most credentials, most eqipment and stay out for longer periods of time.
They are often retired and have a pretty good business sense and a desire to remain profitable.

The bigger problem (assuming drivers can effect rates) is the naive unknowledgeable business person who enters this business with a minimum investment in equipment and education.
This is the driver who will accept rates below their operating costs because they have no clue what that is. They do not last long and the carrier is more than happy to replace them with more of the same.:(

That said. One of my favorite places to see in this country is the Redwood National Forest in Northern CA.
I took this pic while mixing business with pleasure.

th_intothewild.jpg

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
I have found that many of the RV'ers in the hotels on wheels that you often refer to have the most credentials, most eqipment and stay out for longer periods of time.

have a pretty good business sense and a desire to remain profitable.

You put the nail directly under the hammer. Aint it funny that those without got nutthin but bad to say about those with. The rv'ers aint here posting from sunup to sundown seven days a week either. Seems those people know how to generate income sufficient to pay off thos rv's. Those rv'ers write from real world experience and figured out sitting behind a keyboard at home aint gonna cut it.
You see those people are actually driving those rv's generating an income.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Most careers offer some type of side benefit. One could:

Join the Navy and see the world.
Enter politics, lie and get paid for it.
Become a gynecologist, practice medicine and meet women.
Buy a van, become an expediter and tick people off.
Couldn't have said it better myself (cept for being on a boat for 6 mos loaded with semen).
Love this job!
Pays the bills and family is soooo jealous:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Did any of you think I was really serious?

It's funny to see these posts. WOW!

I like ripping on this subject for some odd reason, but nevertheless it doesn't mean much to me what people do.

If they want to sign onto a company to see the country, great just watch out for giant balls of twine or that Zippo Lighter museum but if they are trying to make a living, it can be hard thing to do. When times are tough, a lot of people B*TCH about too many trucks and vans but when times are good, it is great to talk about the vacation that everyone has while on the road.

The bottom line is this is open to all, and it is equally great we can enjoy things while on the road.

Personally I would like to see more of what people actually do on the road, maybe an EO travel log of sorts.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would say the truth is somewhere in the middle. There was a time in the not too distant past that a few were heavily promoting a certain type of truck investment without really spelling out the risks. With a changing economy, much of that has changed.
I think it is a great benefit that travel is a component of the business. Certainly was one of the reasons that drew me to it in the first place. When done the right way, one can be pretty darn profitable running the "camping machines". You won't see me saying they are a bad idea as that is what our fleet consists of.
Panther even uses one of our trucks on the EO banner ad.
I would advise against that kind of purchase for someone that is new as I have done in the past.

But with that said, more have lost them than have kept them. Quite a few repoed and still sitting out there. Pretty much the reason you seldom see them on a dealers lot as new.

The ones running for the fuel and a burger to get to Granny's house isn't that large of a crowd. I would say the larger crowd is the ones with a employee mentality and have little knowledge of what it really costs to run their trucks. That group is slowly on the way out. But I would say, they are the most responsible for depressed rates with certain carriers.
Actually, rates have ticked up some but some carriers are giving them to their lease trucks at a reduced rate.
I say enjoy the travel, know what it really cost to run your camping machine, and don't dump the potty in the parking lot.
Not a good thing as summer and heat are approaching.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Many times, in a straight truck, we can not get to some of the interesting places that we would like to see. Also, we've seen things that we would have liked to have stopped at, but there was just no time. That being said, we will make a note of it, and we plan to return as a "tourist" at some point.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thank you for your interest in my blog. It has not been updated because my service provider made another security change that I need to adjust to before more posts can be made. Time has been tight and energy has been focused on running. Diane and I have been on a long run (Laredo to Windsor) after a long week (see blog). We just returned to the U.S. from Canada. I'll get to the blog after showers, sleep, truck resupply and a drive to Fort Wayne where the truck will go in the shop tomorrow. By the way, the camping machine produced $9,400 gross revenue since last Sunday's pickup (5/2/10 - 5/10/10).

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Retired guys in cargo vans are a companies wet dream. They will run the freight just as good as any other driver, but they won't become angry and jump ship when freight slows down. They can also run for lower rates and survive through rough econmoic times because they have a second income coming in.

If I ever start my own expedite company, i'm going to have drivers who do not need to get a lot of miles working for me. I think it is a wise choice for a carrier. Also, retired people have the funds to purchase newer/better looking, and more reliable equipment.

It's a win win situation all around. I'm not sure if the paid vacationer model can work in a straight truck; but it is definitely a reality in the cargo van arena!

chicagochris

Seasoned Expediter
Hello all,

I am new to the forums. I am 38, have a pure like the snow passenger car MVR and live in the Chicagoland area. I currently drive a van for a blood bank. I am getting tired of driving around only the Chicagoland area, and am wondering what steps I need to take to become an expediter? I know I need a CDL. I looked into the Illinois "Cyber drive" website. What else should I know before thinking and actually doing this! I want to see the country and am tired of the same old thing ;-)

Also, this may be a personal question, but how much can I expect to make as an expediter? Is there a company that gives out a 401k? Thanks!

whitewolf

Seasoned Expediter
They give benefits too .. vacation ( paid by you) nice view at work ... sometimes Walmart, Pilot, Flyingj
Enjoy food in your truck sleep when you can ... and no money (you don't have to be worry about someone robbing you)
And the most important no mortgage .. because if you have a house right now you'll lose it..if not don't buy because you don't get home very often
Good luck

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
I passed the million mile mark in July of 2003. Seventy five percent of my driving has been solo but did have an enjoyable 3 year team stint with a really good friend of mine. Ive yet to become tired of my view through the windshield. Its very hard to explain to 8 to 5'ers that driving a truck OTR can be fun. Yes, fun. By profession, I am a commercial driver.No one I personally know ever uses the word Vacationer when decribing our profession. Last time I looked, the word vacation is a 180° difference from what our job entails. Seeing the country as described by the OP is simply one of the great assets we experience by turning miles. Using words like traveling rediccilously describes our actual job decription. Once again, youll not chat with other professional drivers and ever hear them use words like,"im traveling".

Seeing the country has a tangible level of reward the some will experience. Some will not. By far this is the easiest job ive ever been involved in. Dosnt mean you dont have to work at it and most deffinatly requires decent amounts of substance between
the ears. You aint gonna succeed by mearly sleeping at the wheel. Does require the driver to maintain a sensible level of responsibility. But at the end of the day, this is quite simply, an easy job. So combine the part about seeing the country and making money without any type of advanced degree or trained vocation and I equate what I do as a blessed occupation. Yeah, and its fun too.

OMG, almost forgot the line about these so called vacationers skewing up the rates. How dumb was that of an idea? If youre gonna contend that you really know an industry, then id suggest getting involved and see first hand how our industry works. Preposterous statements like that make it easy to conclude the individual has no clue about how the industry works.

As Humble2drive also said. Id have no reservations suggesting to certain people that Expediting is a great choice to persue. Heck yes, seeing the country is a benifit thats really hard to ignore. And its not even an issue of mixing business and pleasure. Its actually a pleasure to do business.

People gotta be carefull getting into this business. But don't you gotta be carefull about getting involved in any occupation ? Of course you do. People arnt nearly as unqualified as some would suggest. Theres plenty of room out here and the views I see daily arnt going away.

Seeing the Country and getting paid to do it sounds good, and it is.