Baltimore Rioting, Looting OK According to Mayor

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, I completely understand the context of imminent threat.

You're missing the context of pissing in your pants in a panic. :D

And I'll well aware of the Tueller Drill. It's something that's been ingrained in police work for nearly 30 years, almost without question, and now it's being challenged by the police themselves. Here's an article from the Times you might find interesting.
Police Rethink Long Tradition on Using Force

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No, I completely understand the context of imminent threat.

You're missing the context of pissing in your pants in a panic. :D
Not hardly; I'm simply aware of what it takes to survive and be able to go home and throw my pants in the washing machine after being attacked.
And I'll well aware of the Tueller Drill. It's something that's been ingrained in police work for nearly 30 years, almost without question, and now it's being challenged by the police themselves. Here's an article from the Times you might find interesting.
Police Rethink Long Tradition on Using Force
From the article: "Today, crime is at historic lows and most cities are safer than they have been in generations, for residents and officers alike."
Regardless of your encyclopedic knowledge of any and all subject matter that might be discussed on this forum (thanks to internet databases), I'll bet you never heard of the Tueller Drill until about 15 min. ago. Judging from past posts you're clearly out of your element when it comes to firearms and self defense, and referring to this liberal BS article in the NYT is typical of the new liberal mindset that doesn't work with criminals. Ask the French police how effective unarmed police were in the Charlie Hebdo terrorist attack.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/07/unarmed-paris-police-retreated-from-terrorist-gunmen-video/

What works is putting serious criminals in jail and cleaning up the problem areas like they did in NYC several years back.

http://nypost.com/2014/08/24/how-the-broken-windows-strategy-saved-lives-in-nyc/

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The liberal BS article from the NY Times contains actual quotes from actual police officers who deal with this on a daily basis. You can take them at their word or not, up to you.

And the Tueller 21-foot rule has hardly been a secret,for at least the last 20 or so years I've been aware of it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not hardly; I'm simply aware of what it takes to survive and be able to go home and throw my pants in the washing machine after being attacked.
OK, so I'll ask again... How many times have you been attacked and then defended yourself with lethal force?

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK, so I'll ask again... How many times have you been attacked and then defended yourself with lethal force?
I've never been attacked with lethal force. None of my five sisters have ever been attacked with lethal force. None of my 13 nephews and nieces have ever been attacked with lethal force. None of my who the heck knows how many great nephews and nieces have ever been attacked with lethal force. My mother and father were never attacked with lethal force. None of my uncles and aunts were ever attacked with lethal force. None of my cousins have ever been attacked with lethal force. Nobody that I know has ever been attacked with lethal force.

Am I somehow unique in this world? I really don't think so. Most people will never be attacked with lethal force.

You're far more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than by being attacked.

Could I be killed tomorrow by an armed robber sure. Am i concerned about it, no. Should I be concerned about it. No. It's just not very likely to happen. I'm always aware of my surroundings and what's going on. I'm not going to let senseless fear dictate how I lead my life.

I'm not some fool that has rose colored glasses on. People are attacked and injured or killed every day. If you live in a high crime area you are statistically more likely to be injured or killed. If you are involved in risky behaviors such as drug use you're more likely to be injured or killed. If you go out looking for trouble you're more likely to be injured or killed. If you hold a convention to make fun of someone's religion you're more likely to be killed.

If you feel the need to have a gun to defend yourself and it makes you feel safer good for you. but I doubt if it really is going to make any difference in your life. except for carrying around an extra few pounds steel all the time. That should help build up your muscles.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've never been attacked with lethal force. None of my five sisters have ever been attacked with lethal force. None of my 13 nephews and nieces have ever been attacked with lethal force. None of my who the heck knows how many great nephews and nieces have ever been attacked with lethal force. My mother and father were never attacked with lethal force. None of my uncles and aunts were ever attacked with lethal force. None of my cousins have ever been attacked with lethal force. Nobody that I know has ever been attacked with lethal force.
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but the question wasn't about being attacked with lethal force, it was about using lethal force in defending oneself.

If you feel the need to have a gun to defend yourself and it makes you feel safer good for you. but I doubt if it really is going to make any difference in your life. except for carrying around an extra few pounds steel all the time. That should help build up your muscles.
Setting aside the right to keep and bear arms, something I personally believe that having to register and obtain a permit for is an unnecessary infringement on that right, while defensive gun use may occasionally occur successfully, it is rare and very much the exception – it doesn't change the fact that actually owning and using a firearm hugely increases the risk of being shot.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Zero...so far; and odds are that number will stay the same. FYI, that includes me in the vast majority of not only civilians who own and/or legally carry guns but also law enforcement officers who carry them as part of their job. About 5 percent of LEOs have fired their weapon in the line of duty, and most go through an entire career without ever having to even draw it from their holster. The following article is an old one but makes some points that are still timely.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/01/11/w...don-t-shoot-the-culture-of-cops-and-guns.html

However, that question is irrelevant. I never claimed to have used a gun in self defense, only that I was prepared and able to do so. That being said, I'll repeat my question to you or whomever else might want to answer: How would you protect yourself if attacked or threatened with deadly force by somebody who's intent on harming you or your family? It seems so far that the unstated answer is "odds are it's unlikely to happen, so I don't have to worry about it." Of course the same attitude could be applied to having insurance on your truck. If you're a good driver you're unlikely to be involved in a traffic accident, so why waste the money?

http://www.prep-blog.com/2013/10/10/fbi-self-defense-shooting-stats/

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but the question wasn't about being attacked with lethal force, it was about using lethal force in defending oneself.
That's wrong. In case you missed it, the point all along has been about defending oneself against an attacker using a lethal weapon (starting with BRICKS).

How ironic the way this discussion has evolved; In post #184 I chose to agree with the statement by Teana Walsh and paraphrased part of it for emphasis. The point was that if attacked by some criminal or thug with a brick or other deadly weapon I'm prepared to defend myself in kind - which seems entirely normal; I have a CCW permit and quite often carry a concealed handgun. For this I've been personally ridiculed by individuals who know nothing about me and labeled as a cowardly pants-pisser and challenged by a good Christian who seems to have missed those verses in the books of Matthew(26:52-54) and Mark(7:1) about defending oneself and being judgmental.

As for Chest Thumper - or any other expedite driver for that matter, don't tell me the hobgoblins haven't entered your mind as you've driven through certain parts of Detroit, Memphis or Hoboken at night and told you "You don't want to have to stop here, much less break down". But what if you did and the worst-case scenario developed?

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
... while defensive gun use may occasionally occur successfully, it is rare and very much the exception – it doesn't change the fact that actually owning and using a firearm hugely increases the risk of being shot.
That's an incorrect and overly broad conclusion drawn from a jaded study of urban Philadelphia. Using the same logic one could also say owning and driving a motor vehicle hugely increases the risk of being involved in a traffic accident. The conclusion of the study offers a better picture of what the authors were trying to determine.
On average, guns did not protect those who possessed them from being shot in an assault. Although successful defensive gun uses are possible and do occur each year,33,57 the probability of success may be low for civilian gun users in urban areas. Such users should rethink their possession of guns or, at least, understand that regular possession necessitates careful safety countermeasures. Suggestions to the contrary, especially for urban residents who may see gun possession as a surefire defense against a dangerous environment,61,67 should be discussed and thoughtfully reconsidered.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Zero...so far; and odds are that number will stay the same.
Well that's good. But since you've never been attacked and had to respond in any way at all, you don't really know what your response will be. You certainly know what you want it to be, what you hope it will be, but not what it actually will be.

However, that question is irrelevant. I never claimed to have used a gun in self defense, only that I was prepared and able to do so.
No, you didn't claim you were prepared and able, you flatly claimed that you would, as an inevitable, foregone conclusion. You claimed that (A) you are aware of what it takes to survive (despite never having been attacked) and (b) "If some thug tries to attack me with a brick or any other deadly object I'll resist with deadly force rather than accept the unacceptable alternative," and prior to that, "Personally, if someone tries to attack me with a brick they're gonna get shot. Period. End of discussion, end of problem." You've never actually been in that situation, so you don't know for sure exactly how you would react. That's why the question is most definitely relevant.

That being said, I'll repeat my question to you or whomever else might want to answer: How would you protect yourself if attacked or threatened with deadly force by somebody who's intent on harming you or your family? It seems so far that the unstated answer is "odds are it's unlikely to happen, so I don't have to worry about it." Of course the same attitude could be applied to having insurance on your truck. If you're a good driver you're unlikely to be involved in a traffic accident, so why waste the money?
In 1975 I and a girlfriend were attacked in the Pogue's parking garage in downtown Cincinnati by a man (from Toeleedo) intent on robbing us. He had a hunting knife, which he stabbed me in the shoulder with (rather minor cut, tho) and placed it to her throat with him standing behind her. During the money exchange he dropped the knife from her throat and she stepped away. As he looked at her I managed to roundhouse him in the nose and he fell back, dropping the knife, which I picked up. He then got up and fled. The police picked him up a few hours later and the next day we identified him from a collection of Polaroids. He plea bargained a 12 year sentence. I do not recall the exact charges.

In 1987 as I was leaving the restaurant at 2:00AM, I was just getting into my car as someone rushed up and stuck a gun in my face and asked for the bank bag, which was inside the restaurant, where 6 other people were still working cleaning up. He wanted me to go back inside to get it. I slammed the door on his arm and he fled, with the gun.

That's wrong. In case you missed it, the point all along has been about defending oneself against an attacker using a lethal weapon (starting with BRICKS).
What do you mean that's wrong? I'm the one who asked the question. It's not wrong. I know what I asked. You even started the above post by answering that very question.

How ironic the way this discussion has evolved; In post #184 I chose to agree with the statement by Teana Walsh and paraphrased part of it for emphasis. The point was that if attacked by some criminal or thug with a brick or other deadly weapon I'm prepared to defend myself in kind - which seems entirely normal; I have a CCW permit and quite often carry a concealed handgun. For this I've been personally ridiculed by individuals who know nothing about me and labeled as a cowardly pants-pisser and challenged by a good Christian who seems to have missed those verses in the books of Matthew(26:52-54) and Mark(7:1) about defending oneself and being judgmental.
No one, least of all me, has criticized or ridiculed you for carrying a gun, concealed or otherwise. Nor did anyone label you as a pants-pisser, cowardly or otherwise. I ridiculed you for being a chest beater in beating your chest with machismo bravado over a hypothetical situation in which you've never been. I'll say it again, "That's big talk and sounds good, and in an ideal world that's how it would happen. But you're just as likely to piss your pants and shoot yourself in the foot in a panic as you are to shoot an assailant. " And I stand by that.

As for Chest Thumper - or any other expedite driver for that matter, don't tell me the hobgoblins haven't entered your mind as you've driven through certain parts of Detroit, Memphis or Hoboken at night and told you "You don't want to have to stop here, much less break down". But what if you did and the worst-case scenario developed?
I'd probably piss my pants and shoot myself in the foot.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well that's good. But since you've never been attacked and had to respond in any way at all, you don't really know what your response will be. You certainly know what you want it to be, what you hope it will be, but not what it actually will be.
That was pretty slick: you created the straw man to lay the groundwork for your narrative and I missed it the first and second time I read it, and even responded to it - incorrectly. I'll bet most others missed it too - obviously Unclebob did because even he was talking about lethal force attacks. The topic of conversation throughout this thread has been being attacked with a deadly weapon and what one's response should/might be. You changed the terms to simply being attacked, which is a totally different situation. As I previously stated, you're out of your element here because anyone who has taken even the most elementary course for a concealed weapons permit or self defense knows you can't respond with deadly force unless your life or that of others is threatened with lethal force or serious bodily injury. Anyone who remembers the "stand your ground" laws discussed in the recent past will remember the concept. So with that in mind, no - I haven't been attacked by someone threatening lethal force, and no - I certainly won't respond with lethal force to a simple attack. You decided to change the parameters of the discussion instead of staying on topic; nice try.
No, you didn't claim you were prepared and able, you flatly claimed that you would, as an inevitable, foregone conclusion. You claimed that (A) you are aware of what it takes to survive (despite never having been attacked) and (b) "If some thug tries to attack me with a brick or any other deadly object I'll resist with deadly force rather than accept the unacceptable alternative," and prior to that, "Personally, if someone tries to attack me with a brick they're gonna get shot. Period. End of discussion, end of problem." You've never actually been in that situation, so you don't know for sure exactly how you would react. That's why the question is most definitely relevant.
Wrong again; check the last sentence of post #226 and notice the word prepared. Also refer to post # 246. I'm reluctant to go into the details of my experience and training with firearms, but suffice it to say I've taken a number of classes over the years in handgun fundamentals, techniques and defensive strategies. Some people play golf or fish; I go to the range several times every week, not only to shoot skeet but also to practice with other items. I know what to do if I'm attacked by someone with lethal force. I'm sure this will be interpreted as more chest thumping, but so be it.
In 1975 I and a girlfriend were attacked in the Pogue's parking garage in downtown Cincinnati by a man (from Toeleedo) intent on robbing us. He had a hunting knife, which he stabbed me in the shoulder with (rather minor cut, tho) and placed it to her throat with him standing behind her. During the money exchange he dropped the knife from her throat and she stepped away. As he looked at her I managed to roundhouse him in the nose and he fell back, dropping the knife, which I picked up. He then got up and fled. The police picked him up a few hours later and the next day we identified him from a collection of Polaroids. He plea bargained a 12 year sentence. I do not recall the exact charges.
That's cool; an attack by a knife-wielding thug dispatched with the ease of Jack Reacher. So cool that you don't remember the charges to which he pleaded? Most people remember every detail of a traumatic event., especially the punishment of their attacker. I'm impressed!
In 1987 as I was leaving the restaurant at 2:00AM, I was just getting into my car as someone rushed up and stuck a gun in my face and asked for the bank bag, which was inside the restaurant, where 6 other people were still working cleaning up. He wanted me to go back inside to get it. I slammed the door on his arm and he fled, with the gun.
Chest thumping?? Nah - surely not.;)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That was pretty slick: you created the straw man to lay the groundwork for your narrative and I missed it the first and second time I read it, and even responded to it - incorrectly. I'll bet most others missed it too - obviously Unclebob did because even he was talking about lethal force attacks. The topic of conversation throughout this thread has been being attacked with a deadly weapon and what one's response should/might be. You changed the terms to simply being attacked, which is a totally different situation. As I previously stated, you're out of your element here because anyone who has taken even the most elementary course for a concealed weapons permit or self defense knows you can't respond with deadly force unless your life or that of others is threatened with lethal force or serious bodily injury. Anyone who remembers the "stand your ground" laws discussed in the recent past will remember the concept. So with that in mind, no - I haven't been attacked by someone threatening lethal force, and no - I certainly won't respond with lethal force to a simple attack. You decided to change the parameters of the discussion instead of staying on topic; nice try.

Nope, that's not at all what he did. He specifically mentioned the brick [possible deadly force, depending on one's perspective - and in the event, that's all that matters], whether or not the words 'deadly' or 'lethal' force were used.
The point is exactly what I said back in post 243: you can thump your chest till the cows come home, but until you've actually had to defend yourself, saying what you would do is not terribly persuasive, no matter how much practice you say you've had.
Bigger men than you have turned out to be weenies when it counted, and that's a fact.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That was pretty slick: you created the straw man to lay the groundwork for your narrative and I missed it the first and second time I read it, and even responded to it - incorrectly. I'll bet most others missed it too - obviously Unclebob did because even he was talking about lethal force attacks.
No, I didn't create a straw man. What you claim I did there isn't even a straw man at all. It's clear you don't know what a straw man argument logical fallacy is, otherwise you wouldn't use them as often as you do. A different context is not a straw man, and you're the one who created the different context in the first place.

The topic of conversation throughout this thread has been being attacked with a deadly weapon and what one's response should/might be. You changed the terms to simply being attacked, which is a totally different situation.
No, I didn't. My question was asked specifically within the context of "with a deadly weapon," and more specifically within the context of a brick, since that's the context in which you made your statement. I broadened it to attacked in general, because anything, including a brick or a #2 pencil, can be used as a deadly weapon. You flatly stated, and I'll quote it here again for you, since you can't seen to remember it, "If some thug tries to attack me with a brick or any other deadly object I'll resist with deadly force rather than accept the unacceptable alternative." So when I asked you, " How many times have you been attacked and then defended yourself with lethal force?" It was directly within the context of "with a brick or any other deadly object." You responded by saying that you've never been attacked at all, which makes your "Personally, if someone tries to attack me with a brick they're gonna get shot. Period. End of discussion, end of problem." statement all the more ridiculous since you have no idea whatsoever how you'll respond if attacked, with or without a deadly weapon.

As I previously stated, you're out of your element here because anyone who has taken even the most elementary course for a concealed weapons permit or self defense knows you can't respond with deadly force unless your life or that of others is threatened with lethal force or serious bodily injury. Anyone who remembers the "stand your ground" laws discussed in the recent past will remember the concept.
For one, you don't have to have completed a CCW permit course or a self-defense course to know that. Two, in addition to the above, all you have to have in the moment is a genuine (or plausibly believable) fear for your life. That's how people get shot while they're unarmed or fiddling with screwdrivers.

So with that in mind, no - I haven't been attacked by someone threatening lethal force, and no - I certainly won't respond with lethal force to a simple attack. You decided to change the parameters of the discussion instead of staying on topic; nice try.
Again, no, the parameters were always within the confines of you being attacked with a deadly weapon or object. Nothing changed.

But to make sure there is no misunderstanding whatsoever, how many times have you been attacked by someone with a deadly object or weapon, where your life or the life of someone else might be in danger, real or imagined, and you responded with deadly force?

Wrong again; check the last sentence of post #226 and notice the word prepared. Also refer to post # 246. I'm reluctant to go into the details of my experience and training with firearms, but suffice it to say I've taken a number of classes over the years in handgun fundamentals, techniques and defensive strategies. Some people play golf or fish; I go to the range several times every week, not only to shoot skeet but also to practice with other items. I know what to do if I'm attacked by someone with lethal force. I'm sure this will be interpreted as more chest thumping, but so be it.
226 and 246 were long after your original chest-beating claim. But the above paragraph isn't chest beating at all. Educating yourself and knowing what to do isn't chest beating. But knowing what to do and actually being able to do it are two different things. Until you are put in the position of actually having to do it, you can't know how you'll respond.

That's cool; an attack by a knife-wielding thug dispatched with the ease of Jack Reacher. So cool that you don't remember the charges to which he pleaded? Most people remember every detail of a traumatic event., especially the punishment of their attacker. I'm impressed!
I really don't giveacrap whether you believe me or not. And no, it wasn't Jack Reacher by any stretch, I got lucky, pure and simple. What I did was quite stupid. And no, I don't remember all of the charges to which he pleaded, because not all of them concerned the incident in the parking garage.

Chest thumping?? Nah - surely not.;)
No, not even close. After the fact is different from predicting the future. But notice he fled with the gun. I got lucky that time, too. Instead of running he could have easily done something else, especially considering the the position I was in was one of total defenselessness. I had zero options.

Last edited: