Baltimore Rioting, Looting OK According to Mayor

witness23

Veteran Expediter
I'm still waiting for an answer to my question about self defense, specifically from attackers with bricks or something similar. So far, only crickets....

Your comment was in the context of the police, in riot gear, having bricks thrown at them. My "bullsh*t" comment was because you wouldn't have shot anyone in that context.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So was I, and I'll say it again: If some thug tries to attack me with a brick or any other deadly object I'll resist with deadly force rather than accept the unacceptable alternative.
Actually, what you said was, "...if someone tries to attack me with a brick they're gonna get shot." That's big talk and sounds good, and in an ideal world that's how it would happen. But you're just as likely to piss your pants and shoot yourself in the foot in a panic as you are to shoot an assailant.

Many people have this viewpoint nowadays, and the number of people applying for concealed carry permits is increasing exponentially because they refuse to allow themselves to be victims like the young woman in the following article who was beaten with a brick:

"The attack left Smith partially paralyzed on one side of her body, caused loss of hearing in one ear, required steel plates in her head and left her unable to organize her thoughts verbally or on paper."
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local-news/ut-appeals-attack-decision

Any claim that bricks can't be used as a deadly weapon is laughably absurd.
Well, I never claimed that bricks couldn't be used as a deadly weapon. Bricks obviously can be used as a deadly weapon. So can a #2 pencil. In the case of police during a riot, bricks never have been used as a deadly weapon. And in the example you listed above to prove just how deadly bricks are, the girl ain't dead.

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question about self defense, specifically from attackers with bricks or something similar. So far, only crickets....
That's because in fine logical fallacy fashion your question attempts to create a straw man argument in the general context of self-defense to prove the specific context of police in riot gear and deadly bricks argument as false.

Fortunately none in this case. But how many deaths by brick throwers does it take to rise to a critical level - one, five, or maybe ten?
I think one would suffice in order to call something deadly in riot situations. Calling something a dangerous weapon, even a potentially deadly weapon is one thing, but flatly stating that something is deadly when it never has been is unnecessary hyperbole.

They have a right to defend themselves from attack by criminals. The criminals have no right to throw bricks, rocks and bottles at law enforcement officers, and to trivialize this kind of anarchy is a bit over the top.

"Fifteen officers were injured, six seriously, Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said in an evening news conference. Those injuries are not expected to be life-threatening."
http://abc7.com/news/baltimore-cops-injured-by-rocks-bricks-at-mall/683988/
Of course they have a right to defend themselves. I nor anyone else never said any different. Nor is anyone trivializing the anarchy of riots.

Reactions: witness23

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There are a few reasons for it and I think it's a combination of theories and not just as simple as saying it's socio-economic or it's an acceptance of a violent culture. The claim was made that facts don't support that blacks don't disproportionately commit violent crime but the facts clearly do support that.
People can look at statistics and draw whatever conclusions they like. I've seen facts that support blacks commit more crime and I've seen the same facts support just the opposite.

It seems like you guys are debating different topics in this thread and not actually on the same page.
As with any discussion of a complex issue, there are many facets that to be discussed.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's not really about who posted what or keeping score, it's about the issues themselves.

Posting silly memes and self-portraits doesn't really help, though.

Reactions: Moot and witness23

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

That's because in fine logical fallacy fashion your question attempts to create a straw man argument in the general context of self-defense to prove the specific context of police in riot gear and deadly bricks argument as false.

I think one would suffice in order to call something deadly in riot situations. Calling something a dangerous weapon, even a potentially deadly weapon is one thing, but flatly stating that something is deadly when it never has been is unnecessary hyperbole.
But we know that some officers involved in the brick melee didn't have riot gear on and were under assault . An assault, which showed at one point ,kids moving toward the officers,(some without riot gear )and throwing bricks. We also know that two of the fifteen officers sustained a head injury and a shattered knee cap, spending time in a trauma center.
The injured officers could have easily found themselves immobilized and sustained life threatening injuries from the advancing riot. The only other recourse at that point would be to use their gun to defend themselves. It could have easily turned deadly.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I've seen facts that support blacks commit more crime and I've seen the same facts support just the opposite.

Please share this info. It would be interesting to see another side because I have never seen any statistics or studies showing anything different.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'll throw bricks at you and I guarantee you that you would not shoot me.
From 15 yards away you're right. It's likely you can't throw one that far anyway and even in that case I've probably got time and distance to get away or take cover. On the other hand, if you're throwing bricks at me from a 5 yard distance you're gonna have a problem. First of all you're guilty of a number of felonies, not the least of which is assault with a deadly weapon, and I COULD and WOULD shoot you from a position of self defense.

It might be a good idea to make yourself familiar with the statutes of your state regarding one's self defense.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Actually, what you said was, "...if someone tries to attack me with a brick they're gonna get shot." That's big talk and sounds good, and in an ideal world that's how it would happen. But you're just as likely to piss your pants and shoot yourself in the foot in a panic as you are to shoot an assailant.
That might indeed be the case for someone unfamiliar with firearms and who has very little or no training with handguns. I'm still waiting to hear how others - especially BS Boy - would defend themselves from threats of serious personal injury or death.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
And like turtle said earlier, you'd be just as likely to pull a "Nugent" on yourself than actually shoot someone.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Please share this info. It would be interesting to see another side because I have never seen any statistics or studies showing anything different.
There's really no point. Conclusions drawn from statistics are opinions. If I post something that states the opposite of what you believe the statistics to mean, you'll either dismiss it or find some fault with it. But when you see the raw statistics of the crime rates in poor back neighborhoods versus poor white neighborhoods, and see they're virtually the same, traditional conclusions must be questioned. Factor in the white bias of already believing that blacks commit a much higher percentage of crime than they actually commit, and that will influence the conclusions drawn from statistics. Further factor in the biased policing that goes on in black neighborhoods and the statistics begin to show something other than the traditional conclusions. But here's a study from The Ohio State University for you to discredit or dismiss.

As is noted in this piece, "There is no way in this country to discuss crime statistics without including in that discussion the myriad ways in which those statistics are informed and influenced by the systemic effects of racial distortion." And that's hard to do when 70% of white Americans believe the criminal justice system is color blind, and that there are no racial biases whatysoever in law enforcement, much less any kind of systemic bias.