Baltimore Rioting, Looting OK According to Mayor

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's a statement which ignores that there are more than five times more whites than blacks in America. When comparing death rates, blacks are about three times more likely than whites to die in a confrontation with police .

For one, blacks are statistically more likely than any other group to resist arrest.
You also left out a few things about the numbers you gave.
Article excerpt below:

Adjusted to take into account the racial breakdown of the U.S. population, he said black men are 3.5 times more likely to be killed by police than white men. But also adjusted to take into account the racial breakdown in violent crime, the data actually show that police are less likely to kill black suspects than white ones.

“If one adjusts for the racial disparity in the homicide rate or the rate at which police are feloniously killed, whites are actually more likely to be killed by police than blacks,” saidMr. Moskos, a former Baltimore cop and author of the book “Cop in the Hood.”

“Adjusted for the homicide rate, whites are 1.7 times more likely than blacks die at the hands of police,” he said. “Adjusted for the racial disparity at which police are feloniously killed, whites are 1.3 times more likely than blacks to die at the hands of police.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...tes-than-blacks-but-minority-d/#ixzz3ZPSsrQ2g

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For one, blacks are statistically more likely than any other group to resist arrest.
Blacks are certainly far more likely to be charged with resisting arrest, that's for sure. That doesn't mean they actually resisted. Since you're firmly a part of that 70% it's pretty evident what your opinion is on that one, though.

You also left out a few things about the numbers you gave.
I left out almost everything about the numbers I gave. I gave you a link, instead.

Article excerpt below:
SNIP

You quoted the opinions of a former Baltimore cop who came to his own conclusions after doing data analysis. Good job. He's also the guy who advocates the legalization of drugs, massive overhaul of the criminal justice system, and wrote a book advocating judicial corporal punishment (caning, like in Muslim countries, or lashes with a bullwhip, like in the good ol' days) in lieu of incarceration.

But in his book "Cop in the Hood" he also writes that a great deal of the problems of the inner city ghettos stem from over-policing by law enforcement. The quotes you selected were also cherry picked by the author of the linked piece, Valerie Richardson (a white conservative living in Denver) to use in her article trying to debunk Toni Morrison's views and the entire notion that racism still exists in America.

If you want to refute the numbers at the US News and World Report article I posted fine, have at it, but don't just go and find an article that you agree with, and has numbers in it, and go "See? Told ya!" Sheesh

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No you didn't. You saw officers in full riot gear with loaded weapons and holding shields throwing rocks at rioters. If they were doing that in self-defense, they are the most butt-stoopid cops ever.
Actually the officers who were throwing bricks in self defense didn't have riot gear except for one or two that were holding a shield and trying to provide cover for the other ones.
Better they throw the bricks then to open fire and kill the kids. And if the officer without the gear had his head crushed in, some would say he deserved it. Twisted I tell you.
http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/04/27/video-baltimore-protesters-throw-rocks-bottles-police

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Blacks are certainly far more likely to be charged with resisting arrest, that's for sure. That doesn't mean they actually resisted. Since you're firmly a part of that 70% it's pretty evident what your opinion is on that one, though.
They disproportionately commit violent crimes, so it would fall in line with resisting arrest(being violent)statistically more than other groups. You are clearly in the percentage that racist white cops are open season on blacks, regardless
what the facts really are.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They disproportionately commit violent crimes, so it would fall in line with resisting arrest(being violent)statistically more than other groups. You are clearly in the percentage that racist white cops are open season on blacks, regardless
what the facts really are.

That they disproportionately commit violent crime is a conclusion not supported by facts. Poor whites and poor blacks commit violent crimes at the sane rate, actually. And no, I'm not among those who think racist white cops think it's open season on blacks, I'm simply one that can view what's happening without putting a political or racial spin on things.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think what he's trying to say is, in conversation, particularly abstract hypotheticals, people can talk a good game, but in situations where you actually have to take a life, it's not as easy in the moment as it sounds.
Regarding the Baltimore police, we're not talking in terms of abstract hypotheticals; they were being attacked with deadly weapons by a crowd of violent criminals and they had a right to defend themselves by whatever means necessary. They also had a duty to protect the lives and property of law abiding citizens, and the incompetent mayor of Baltimore kept them from doing that duty.

Regarding the smartazz BS statement, it doesn't say anything or even make a relative point. I'm still waiting for an answer from it's author - or anyone else for that matter - as to what their plan of action would be if they found themselves under attack by one or more thugs with bricks, baseball bats, knives or any other means that would produce serious bodily injury or death. Could they defend themselves or just lay down and beg for mercy. And forget the joke about abstract and hypothetical, because it happens to innocent people all the time. Home invasions, street muggings, cowardly "knockout games", purse snatchings, carjackings, etc can be seen in any newspaper or seen on any local news, especially in a major metro area. Nobody said anything about the use of deadly force being easy. The point was that it's sometimes the last resort available to protect yourself and your loved ones from becoming a victim. Private citizens have a right to protect themselves from criminals and so do law enforcement officers. I, for one, am prepared to do whatever's necessary to avoid being a victim.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I wasn't talking about the Baltimore police in terms of abstract hypotheticals, I was talking about you specifically.

With regard to the Baltimore police, how many police officers, in Baltimore or anywhere else, have been killed during a riot by deadly brick weapons in, say, the last 50 years?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The facts support that blacks are involved in a disproportionate amount of crime. I have never seen a single report from anywhere that shows blacks making up 13% of the US population were only responsible for 13% of the violent crime. In fact from 1980-2008 they were responsible for 52.5% of homicides. There is a greater likelihood that cops will be dealing with criminals that are black which means that there is a greater likelihood of there being an altercation that could lead to a death.

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-black-americans-commit-crime/19439

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why do you suppose that is? There must be a reason.
It is not because they are unfairly discriminated against. From Paullud's link:

But academics have noted that the proportion of black suspects arrested by the police tends to match closely the proportion of offenders identified as black by victims in the National Crime Victimization Survey.

This doesn’t support the idea that the police are unfairly discriminating against the black population when they make arrests.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Lets see now, black folks usually do not own ski boats, some do, do not see many on motorcycles,do not see many at the lakes swimming in the summer, did meet one blackman who is an expeditor,not many are lawyers,not many are engineers, not many in science classes in college, but there are lots of Muslims in engineering here at Tech. You will most likely not see folks of color in HVAC , electrical,welding,electronics,aircraft airframe schools, trade school stuff is somewhat foreign to them.....I do see a lot of folks of color in 18 wheelers, but then again I was out there with my son some years back doing the big rig gig.... my 2 cents in the pond of life.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
An African American family moved onto my block in 1974. They turned out to be the kind of neighbors anyone would be pleased and proud to have :)

Dad was an HVAC professional :cool: ; the kids went on to colleges and good careers.

This proves Dr. King's statement about "content of their character" :)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lets see now, black folks usually do not own ski boats, some do, do not see many on motorcycles,do not see many at the lakes swimming in the summer, did meet one blackman who is an expeditor,not many are lawyers,not many are engineers, not many in science classes in college, but there are lots of Muslims in engineering here at Tech. You will most likely not see folks of color in HVAC , electrical,welding,electronics,aircraft airframe schools, trade school stuff is somewhat foreign to them.....I do see a lot of folks of color in 18 wheelers, but then again I was out there with my son some years back doing the big rig gig.... my 2 cents in the pond of life.

Sorry but I think you are off on a lot of this. Motorcycles are very popular, see plenty of all types of folks in expediting, I used to dispatch for a large hvac company and there were a number of minorities working there.

You do see some pink and chartreuse people driving 18 wheelers now and then, I agree with that.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
An African American family moved onto my block in 1974. They turned out to be the kind of neighbors anyone would be pleased and proud to have :)

Dad was an HVAC professional :cool: ; the kids went on to colleges and good careers.

This proves Dr. King's statement about "content of their character" :)
You mean those neighbors were just average, everyday people, who'd of thunk it.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Every Memorial Day weekend, thousands of black motorcycle riders descend on Myrtle Beach, SC. It used to be called Black Bikers Week. Now, it's just called Bikers Week. They come from as far away as Michigan and Texas to enjoy the scenery and atmosphere. Lots of beautiful bikes. Lots of noise for a few days. People come to enjoy themselves and visit with friends. It's an escape from the humdrum of everyday life. I could be wrong, but this annual event might be the largest congregation of black motorcycle enthusiasts anywhere to be found. It is an impressive armada.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Can you say minority? M-i-n-o-r-i-t-y. 13% of the population of the United States is African American. Think about it.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wasn't talking about the Baltimore police in terms of abstract hypotheticals, I was talking about you specifically.
So was I, and I'll say it again: If some thug tries to attack me with a brick or any other deadly object I'll resist with deadly force rather than accept the unacceptable alternative. Many people have this viewpoint nowadays, and the number of people applying for concealed carry permits is increasing exponentially because they refuse to allow themselves to be victims like the young woman in the following article who was beaten with a brick:

"The attack left Smith partially paralyzed on one side of her body, caused loss of hearing in one ear, required steel plates in her head and left her unable to organize her thoughts verbally or on paper."
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local-news/ut-appeals-attack-decision

Any claim that bricks can't be used as a deadly weapon is laughably absurd.

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question about self defense, specifically from attackers with bricks or something similar. So far, only crickets....

With regard to the Baltimore police, how many police officers, in Baltimore or anywhere else, have been killed during a riot by deadly brick weapons in, say, the last 50 years?

Fortunately none in this case. But how many deaths by brick throwers does it take to rise to a critical level - one, five, or maybe ten? They have a right to defend themselves from attack by criminals. The criminals have no right to throw bricks, rocks and bottles at law enforcement officers, and to trivialize this kind of anarchy is a bit over the top.

"Fifteen officers were injured, six seriously, Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said in an evening news conference. Those injuries are not expected to be life-threatening."
http://abc7.com/news/baltimore-cops-injured-by-rocks-bricks-at-mall/683988/

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Why do you suppose that is? There must be a reason.

There are a few reasons for it and I think it's a combination of theories and not just as simple as saying it's socio-economic or it's an acceptance of a violent culture. The claim was made that facts don't support that blacks don't disproportionately commit violent crime but the facts clearly do support that.

It seems like you guys are debating different topics in this thread and not actually on the same page.

Reactions: muttly