Bad experience

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
:mad:A week ago one of my cargo vans broke down near Cleveland .The van was under a load going in Canada. The alternator quit. 2AM. Both the driver and Panther called me to tell me the situation. I told Panther dispatch that I will fix the van in the morning it is no way to find an alternator at 2 AM ,so I suggested or to wait until the morning or to swap the load. They said that no way to swap and we have to fix it now! The dispatch insist that they have a company 14 miles away who has alternators and they can fix it. I ask how much ,she called me back that $ 50 after hour charge $90 per hour plus the part. I said OK ,can not be more then $500. They came out ,without the part . After they checked the old alternator they went away and came back with an other one in 3 hours. In 45 minutes they replace it.Panther sent them the check and the van was ready to continue his run. The total was $865!!!! Part 265 ,rest labor. I called Panther that I was over charged ,they said call the company who did the repair because this things are happening a lot . I called the company ,they said that is nothing wrong in the price and Panther called them for the service. Did anybody has a bad experience like this?

P.S. Next day the driver went to Auto zone and and bought a new alternator with life time warranty. At least now we have a spare alternator just in case.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Never get Panther involved in a breakdown situation. Would you call your dentist with an alternator problem?

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
In the first place panther should of gave you the phone number to call yourself.
at least you would have been smart enough to say hey I got a truck down that needs an altenator it this type truck do you have one you can bring me.and whats the charge.

panther did the same thing to me several years back with a waterpump in VA on a weekend.
bottom line over 3k in charges.didnt have one run and got one its the wrong one had to go on sunday to get another one all kinds of bs.

I am not saying its panthers fault it isnt its just these shops know when it says expedited service on the side of the truck and there happens to be a load on then that just tells them it's ok if they double or tripple the price they will still get paid.and what can panther do they got the load and the truck its on

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd keep them in the loop but ultimately it falls on the owner to have the truck repaired.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Never get Panther involved in a breakdown situation. Would you call your dentist with an alternator problem?

I did not call them. It was 2 Am and the dispatch was very stressed about the load she said that we can't wait and if we not do something she will order a tow-truck to tow the van to the delivery.I know I did a mistake ,but was 2AM and I new that I cant find an alternator at that hour. She said that this company carry alternators...Was a no win situation.I knew it that I will pay more but I did not think that the total can be $865...Don't understand me wrong I don't want to say that was Panther fault or something.So what would you have done in my place? Thanks

Last edited:

Camper

Not a Member
I did not call them. It was 2 Am and the dispatch was very stressed about the load she said that we can't wait and if we not do something she will order a tow-truck to tow the van to the delivery.I know I did a mistake ,but was 2AM and I new that I cant find an alternator at that hour. She said that this company carry alternators...Was a no win situation.I knew it that I will pay more but I did not think that the total can be $865...So what would you have done in my place? Thanks

Is the van currently under a bumper to bumper warranty? If so, you might be able to get reimbursed for part of the repair, probably not the full $865.

moose

Veteran Expediter
...So what would you have done in my place? Thanks

Well, the best thing is learn the lesson, and be prepared for the next breakdown,(which will NOT be an alternator,since you now have one onboard...LoL).
do a google search, or even an EO search, and find a nationwide emergency repair service, like :

Locate Quality Truck Service & Repair Vendors Near You! - TruckDown

if all possible, become a member of a 'prepaid' club of some sort, like AAA.
most Van manufacturer have an emergency 800 you can call, i used the Ford (we called it the fraud service :D ).
what ever it takes, just do not keep all your eggs at your carrier basket.
thanks for venting out, we can all learn from what have happens to you.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I did not call them. It was 2 Am and the dispatch was very stressed about the load she said that we can't wait and if we not do something she will order a tow-truck to tow the van to the delivery.I know I did a mistake ,but was 2AM and I new that I cant find an alternator at that hour. She said that this company carry alternators...Was a no win situation.I knew it that I will pay more but I did not think that the total can be $865...So what would you have done in my place? Thanks
Third shift dispatchers getting stressed out and freaking out while looking for the most expedient solution to a problem is the norm. I'd have done what you did, probably, but I would have called the shop to make sure they had the alternator in stock and brought it out with them. Get it fixed and back on the road.

The alternative in lieu of a swap would be to tow the van to the consignee, which you would pay a ridiculous price for, after which you'd then be on your own to then have it towed again to a mechanic for repairs. The cost to tow the van from Cleveland to Canada would have been at least twice what you paid for the roadside repair. $5 to $6 a mile minimum is what it would have been.

All Panther cares about is getting that load delivered on time, and in order to do so, money is no object. It's not even an afterthought. They couldn't care less. This, of course, becomes an exceedingly easy position to take when it's not their money.

Then again, I've seen them spend $375 on a cross-dock fee for a swap that never should have happened, so they're pretty stupid with their own money, too.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think all dispatchers are trained to come up with 1 solution and run with it,I broke down under a load The repair shop that towed me had a towmotor and would transfer the skid to another truck for FREE,but dispatch instead had me tow it to a dock 60 miles away adding 200.00 to my tow bill and them paying for the dock.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Who has final approval on the work done?

The owner or Panther?

or the driver?

I approved the work ,but when I approved they said that the labor is 95 per hour.At 2 AM what other options I had? The dispatch told me that if we not fix it she will order a tow truck and tow the van in Canada. One more time I don;t want to say that is Panther fault.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The truck down link that moose provided is good. Without having resources like that there wasn't a whole lot you could do.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The only mistake you made was not confirming if this place had the alternator. Outside of that, your choices become limited.
Having it towed to the consignee or going the repair route you did is likely the outcome. Your other option as mentioned, is to facilitate the whole repair yourself. Sometimes cheaper, and sometimes not.
As mentioned, Panther will do what is good for Panther. There is no incentive for them to save a dime for your repair.
On the other side of that is, "we don't run bargain freight, and yes, that mini is going to cost $500".
Have to put it all in prospective.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I approved the work ,but when I approved they said that the labor is 95 per hour.At 2 AM what other options I had? The dispatch told me that if we not fix it she will order a tow truck and tow the van in Canada. One more time I don;t want to say that is Panther fault.

That's a good lesson if your a fleet owner. If your a fleet owner a company on call for repairs anywhere anytime is a must. Their are dozens. Sooner or later it happens to everyone in the business. Be ready. The larger the company your contracted to the less they will do. Never ever give a company control of your business, you will pay just like you just did.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Experience sure can be an expensive teacher - but you learn, and it's better the next time. Carrying spares of everything you can is smart, and having access to 24/7 roadside assist of YOUR choice is great. Because no matter how well prepared the vehicle, stuff still happens. Usually at 2 am. :(

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I did not call them. It was 2 Am and the dispatch was very stressed about the load she said that we can't wait and if we not do something she will order a tow-truck to tow the van to the delivery.I know I did a mistake ,but was 2AM and I new that I cant find an alternator at that hour. She said that this company carry alternators...Was a no win situation.I knew it that I will pay more but I did not think that the total can be $865...Don't understand me wrong I don't want to say that was Panther fault or something.So what would you have done in my place? Thanks

I type again for y'all to see........NEVER own more truks than you can drive yoursef, at the same time!!

fastrod

Expert Expediter
The dispatch told me that if we not fix it she will order a tow truck and tow the van in Canada. One more time I don;t want to say that is Panther fault.

I would have let her know real quick that I owned the van and she was not having it towed anywhere.

Camper

Not a Member
I would have let her know real quick that I owned the van and she was not having it towed anywhere.

You might own the van but when you lease it on to a carrier, you're essentially granting certain rights of possession.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You might own the van but when you lease it on to a carrier, you're essentially granting certain rights of possession.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

With most leases the carrier has certain rights with regards to the freight, but not the vehicle. Unless of course they own or lease it.