Any recent emergency loads?

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Have any of you had any "emergency" loads lately, in addition to your regular expedited emergency freight? Such as Toyota recall repair parts, or Haiti disaster relief supplies, or pre-marked ballots for now Senator Brown of Massachusetts? :):)
Did any of you haul loads of empergency supplies for New Orleans (Katrina) or New York City (9/11)?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've hauled maybe 3 emergency loads in the entire time I've done this, the 2 I remember and allowing 1 more as a possibility I either didn't know was "emergency" or maybe forgot. Any premarked ballots would have been for the democrat, not Brown.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I hauled a load of revisioned accelerator pedal assemblies from Mississauga, ON to TMMI about a week or so ago ..... dunno if you would call it an "emergency load" tho' ...

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
there was this 450 lb box of screws and nuts that had a jobsite shut down because the ltl carrier dropped the ball or box in this case. had 30 people at 50 bucks an hour waiting. place we deliv to then direct loaded into their truck to the jobsite.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Had to haul butt from Lynchburg,Va to Oak Grove,Oh.2 gaskets,nuclear plant was on forced shut down due to a leak.They we're losing $250.000 per hour.Took us 10 hours to get there,the 2 gaskets we're in a manila envelope,they rode on the bunk nice,and comfey.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Umm...not an emergency, because we can't deliver until Monday at noon, but 1 pallet of PVC glue from Cleveland to Oregon? Can't complain about the pay, but good grief, what these people have paid to ship this stuff is amazing! I'm thinking they would have been able to hit every Home Depot or hardware store in a 100 mile radius and bought it for a heck of alot cheaper.

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
We p/u fans and dehumidifiers from two different Sun rental stores in Texas just after Katrina hit New Orleans,they were used to try and dry out Tulane university.

guido4475

Not a Member
Umm...not an emergency, because we can't deliver until Monday at noon, but 1 pallet of PVC glue from Cleveland to Oregon? Can't complain about the pay, but good grief, what these people have paid to ship this stuff is amazing! I'm thinking they would have been able to hit every Home Depot or hardware store in a 100 mile radius and bought it for a heck of alot cheaper.

Corporate stupidity and policies never cease to amaze me....And we wonder why multi-billion dollar companies go under.LOL.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Nope, cannot say that we have run any "emergency" loads of late. Most of our work is planned in advance. I know, we are not true expediters!! :p But Hey!!! That's ok!! It pays great!! :D

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
we just delivered a load day late do to weather in LA.the interstate was shut down do to ice,but the time we delivered turned into emergency
sat 5 days waiting on CDC run to load,the detention time was great,but turned into a dry run,5000 bucks for 600 miles,all dead head,home to pick up to layover

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Judy,are you delivering the pallet of glue to the Pipe Fitter Contractor Hall of Fame in Bend, Oregon?

LOL, no this one is going to a distribution center in Woodburn. A distribution center, I might add, that has "bankers hours" :rolleyes: