Another Milestone: Bob and Linda

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Congratulations, Bob and Linda. This is a true accomplishment that speaks well of you and gives good exposure to your carrier and the the expediting industry at large. That cover, I am sure, will find its way into a frame in your home and rightly serve as an earned and valued keepsake for the rest of your lives.

That said, remember too that fame is fleeting. The industry will stop talking about you almost instantly when you stop stirring the pot (board memberships, networking at truck shows, volunteer work, etc.), and few will remember you for long after that. Enjoy the fame and glory while it lasts but avoid falling into the trap of pursuing it for its own sake.

Fame and glory can be ginned up with a good public relations effort. Doing that is an exercise in frustration because you have to keep the gin going. If, on the other hand, fame and glory is an unintended consequence of good deeds done for good reasons, then it is properly placed and can be gratefully received.

Respice te, hominem te memento

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Todd Dills writes great articles . He goes out and gets detailed info from drivers and O/O's . He has done other articles on the expedite industry .
It's a shame they decided to combine Overdrive with Truckers News . The rest of the staff is really out of touch with the industry and thinks readers are interested in things like UShip and the tv show Shipping Wars . The old Overdrive would have never promoted this nonsense .
However Todd continues to write the few credible articles in industry media . He has a Facebook page and welcomes comments from drivers and respects all views .
Todd has published several comments from me that took a critical view of past Overdrive articles .
If you have a good story or want to be heard contact Todd .

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Congratulations. The rest of us are green with envy. A-Team eat your heart out.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Awesome! Positive exposure for expediting is always a win-win.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Congratulations. The rest of us are green with envy. A-Team eat your heart out.

There is no danger of that. Expediters know me as an expediter and I have had my share of recognition in this industry. But when I speak of fame and glory, and the right and wrong ways in which it can come, I know of which I speak.

In a previous career I had my fifteen minutes of fame that far exceeded anything any expediter will ever have. My name appeared on the front page of the Wall Street Journal. I was written about in depth in the New York Times and in newspapers nationwide, I have been written about in books, appeared on the CNN and Fox News political talk shows, had news crews fly in from foreign countries to interview me in my house, and more. And I walked away from that arena to become a truck driver.

I realized early on that fame is fleeting and that if it is pursued for its own sake, it is an exercise in frustration. I have seen it happen repeatedly among peers that the buzz of fame becomes too pleasurable to let go of. It's like a drug and there are a whole lot of people out there who slip into seeking it for its own sake. When that happens, people can do great harm to themselves seeking the spotlight when it would be better to focus on outcomes that are healthier and more financially sound.

My comments have nothing to do with eating my heart out. It has to do with the experience I have and the experience I share. I walked away from an arena in which I was a national figure. I am now about to walk away from expediting, where a certain amount of recognition came my way, into a fitness club franchise where the contractual obligations of the franchise will make me all but invisible outside the walls of the gyms I own. I've had more than my share of fame and glory, and knowing that it is fleeting, am more than willing to leave it behind.

Now, if we may, let's not make this thread about me. The Caffee's have legitimately received a moment of fame and glory. Let's congratulate them for it and wish them the best. I have done exactly that, and also shared a bit of advice that few people on this forum have the background and experience from which to share the same.

Congratulations, Bob and Linda Caffee!

Respice te, hominem te memento

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
MAzal TOv!!!!
correct me if im wrong, but didn't they specifically spect's the Caffcedia without an overdrive.?

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
In a previous career I had my fifteen minutes of fame that far exceeded anything any expediter will ever have.

That is an extremely presumptuous statement to make and untrue.
I am sorry to see you exit on such an assumption regarding the many extraordinary expeditors that shared the road with you.*:(

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Back to the thread at hand.

Congrats TC!!

Let us know when you are back in Jacksonville, FL and it will be a free lunch for you. :D

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Thanks to all of you. We were really honored when Todd asked us to do this project.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Yes congrats to EXPEDITING as its a great career, I worked long hours to get into this business myself and I aspire to become a CAFFEE LEVEL expediter. Todd Does a great job with articles and I too was honored when he asked me to add some info to the article, our company DMW was proud to be featured and represent this fine group. Thanks Overdrive for shining the light on our Business, its people and making us ALL look good.....

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Linda & Bob - congratulations!! You look great on the cover! We are so proud of you both for all the hard work you do and the help and encouragement you give others!! Way to go!!

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is no danger of that. Expediters know me as an expediter and I have had my share of recognition in this industry. But when I speak of fame and glory, and the right and wrong ways in which it can come, I know of which I speak.

In a previous career I had my fifteen minutes of fame that far exceeded anything any expediter will ever have. My name appeared on the front page of the Wall Street Journal. I was written about in depth in the New York Times and in newspapers nationwide, I have been written about in books, appeared on the CNN and Fox News political talk shows, had news crews fly in from foreign countries to interview me in my house, and more. And I walked away from that arena to become a truck driver.

I realized early on that fame is fleeting and that if it is pursued for its own sake, it is an exercise in frustration. I have seen it happen repeatedly among peers that the buzz of fame becomes too pleasurable to let go of. It's like a drug and there are a whole lot of people out there who slip into seeking it for its own sake. When that happens, people can do great harm to themselves seeking the spotlight when it would be better to focus on outcomes that are healthier and more financially sound.

My comments have nothing to do with eating my heart out. It has to do with the experience I have and the experience I share. I walked away from an arena in which I was a national figure. I am now about to walk away from expediting, where a certain amount of recognition came my way, into a fitness club franchise where the contractual obligations of the franchise will make me all but invisible outside the walls of the gyms I own. I've had more than my share of fame and glory, and knowing that it is fleeting, am more than willing to leave it behind.

Now, if we may, let's not make this thread about me. The Caffee's have legitimately received a moment of fame and glory. Let's congratulate them for it and wish them the best. I have done exactly that, and also shared a bit of advice that few people on this forum have the background and experience from which to share the same.

Congratulations, Bob and Linda Caffee!

Respice te, stnem te memento
I am not to sure if being associated with a lunatic, is any more legit than being a solid working stiff.. and only people that have and ego maniacal side to their personality allow a chance brush with fame consume them.. Congats to the Caffees and their check on their bucket list..

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Last paragraph of a total of 5 and you don't want to make this thread about you? Okay, I'll go along with that.

Congratulations Linda and Bob. I guess I'll have to pick up a copy of Overdrive. Will you autograph it for me? In the early days of Overdrive Linda would be pictured stretched across the hood of a truck wearing a bikini and of course Bob would be the brains and the driver, no mention of Linda as one half the team. You've come a long way baby, so has Overdrive and the trucking industry in general. Keep up the good work, you too Bob!

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Bob & Linder: you are honored, yes - and no one deserves it more. Both of you have worked very hard to better not just yourselves, but the entire industry, and we are quite proud of your accomplishments. [I remember when Linder was scared to speak to a roomful of strangers, lol]
Job well done.
;)