Annoying banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I understand that ads are paying for the site, but some are just too distracting, particularly the new Express 1 "What's this?" banner.
It's intrusive as all get out, and I don't like it! :mad:

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
since the subject came up, does anyone else have to mute thier computer so "Julie" doesn't scare the bejesus out of them when she randomly pops up?
As with annoying commercials on TV, the ad has a negative affect after a while, but that's just me.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
When you X out - it should close the banner. It appears that there is a browser issue in some browsers. We are working on this now.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I never see Julie, just bookmark the forums and go straight to them Or do the same with some other page. And yes the red banner is rather annoying. If it would remain a tab once you clicked the x would help but popping back up each time you go to a new page is a little much. Advertising is only a good thing when it works not when it annoys.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
They should advertise like the rest of them do. Doing it like this is only going to Irritate people and they won't even read the stupid thing! :mad:

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
I hate the Bolt ad.It reminds me that i NEVER GOT THE GPS I WON AS A DOOR PRIZE AT THE WORKSHOP LAST YEAR!!!!!!!! THANKS MARK!!!!!!!!!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ad Muncher Usage Statistics for v4.9 Build 32300/3271
Adverts removed by Ad Muncher: 311,885 (805.9 avg per day)
Approximate bandwidth saved: 2.436 GB
Counter last reset: October 26, 2009
I'm just sayin'

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When advertising provides information, it's quite useful. Information is a good thing to get, no question. I like getting information - but -
when advertising competes for attention with other content one is attempting to absorb, it becomes counterproductive.
Ad designers are going to ever more intrusive ways [flashing, moving objects, speaking voices, etc] to draw our attention, and ignoring the inconvenient fact that most of the target audience does NOT appreciate such tactics.
If it has to be shouted, the message gets doubted, IMO. :mad:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I guess I don't understand - if I don't plan on ever clicking on any ads on EO, what would be the difference whether I blocked them or not ?

Additionally, most of the original content here on EO - at least most of the content that I look at - are member contributions that are supplied gratis, with no expectation of anything in exchange ..... save for being able to use the forum .....

Not to take anything away from the OTM staff, but in my estimation, it is, to a very large degree, these very contributions that makes the site what it is - a destination for folks seeking info on this industry ....

If EO were a site where there was no member-supplied content, and only contained content supplied by OTM staff, it's not hard to imagine how much different of a place it would be .....

To suggest that EO members have some sort of obligation to view ads would seem to discount the contributions that EO members make, often on a daily basis ..... (for which they receive no remuneration, other than being able to use the forum for no monetary fee)

One can talk about ad-blocking as "bandwidth theft" as much one wants, but unless one is also willing to look at the above user contributions in terms of providing a (essentially) free resource which someone can then leverage and exploit to generate revenue, one is only looking at half the equation ....

If an individual has any doubt as to the truth of the above, I would suggest that OTM management simply shut off the forums as far as posting is concerned for about a month or so ..... and see what effect that has on EO as far as being "The Expedited Freight Information Center" ...... :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't block any of the ads ...... but the slow load times when I'm on the road and have limited bandwidth can be, and are, at times, very annoying ....

Little piece of advice: if you want advertising to be well tolerated, then avoid making it annoying ....

Last edited:

aileron

Expert Expediter
I have no problem stealing some bandwidth. :)

I did not block adds for a long time, but it got really annoying seeing and hearing Mark all the time. No more.

It is no problem at home, but on the road, when the connections are slow, it is just unbearable. And like RLENT said, I never care about the adds anyway, the advertisers dont lose anything by my blocking them. Long live adblock +.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
While there are some assumptions that are incorrect, your criticisms are appreciated and contribute to what make us better! Thank you!

As the next generation of EO is in development - our dev team is working hard to make the next version...the best yet! Please share your ideas by dropping an email to [email protected]

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: Annoying banter

Count me as another member sick and tired of all this annoying banter. I log on to E.O. to view the advertisements and don't appreciate all this chit chat about band width and ad munchies.

Talk to me Julie!

Reactions: 1 person

greg334

Veteran Expediter
While there are some assumptions that are incorrect, your criticisms are appreciated and contribute to what make us better!

Lawrence, what are those assumptions?

I would like to know.

I don't think there is anything wrong with blocking ads by users who are regulars, and understand you derive your income by those ads but sometimes it makes no sense why some regulars can't turn off these ads with a level of participation. Isn't it the participation that makes this site attractive?

Bandwidth stealing?

Really?!? Who came up with that? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.