An open letter to Flying J corp.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If these three chains are all involved, that would help. But if it's just Denny's, which is all I've seen so far, noooooo...

That would be a win-win-lose, and the diner's are on the short end of the stick. Flying J and Petro were the bright spots in the industry, and since Petro doesn't have an expediter shower/frequent fueler loyalty card for showers, that left the Hook. I can't say I've never had a bad meal at a Hook, but they've been the exception to the rule.

I can't say that I ever had a good one at the "J" or any of the major truck stop chains for that matter. The best that I can say is that a meal was not bad. They are all low quality, at least in my opinion, too much salt, little other flavors. Far too expensive, portion sizes are silly, other than that they are sorta ok. At least Denny's, while not all that much better, has a fairly good senior breakfast menu, smaller portions and lower prices. That is assuming that they carry that into the truck stops.

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Truck stop food has been good for me. I started driving a year ago and weighed 240, now 12 months later I am down to 192 and still losing about pound a week. At this rate I should completely disappear in another four years. The best part is I am not really trying to lose weight, it's just an aversion to truck stop food and being away from Sweetie's kitchen at home.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't forget- That rice and fat thing at the J will become a Subway, and the TV rooms will be Windy's, Mac's and others!

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Have you ever noticed that people don't ever say "we went to Denny's"? They always say "we wound up at Denny's". As though that's not at all where they really wanted to go.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Have you ever noticed that people don't ever say "we went to Denny's"? They always say "we wound up at Denny's". As though that's not at all where they really wanted to go.
I also hear the reason the breakfasts are called Grand Slams is because after eating one, you get the runs four times.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The only thing I have eaten at the "J" is there pizza and the Chocolate cake and a glass of milk....While Dennys does nothing for me at all, I'll just have to get my pizza somewhere else.....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It's funny, people think this is a way of life that just has to remain static.

I mean things change, J and other truckstops 5 years ago may not been like they are today and even 30 years ago didn't exist like they do 20 years ago.

Gone are the mom and pops on the national scene, replaced by big box truckstops where you are just a number - number 188372372928392893823 your shower is now ready. "Oh we don't accept driver rewards points for that item, go to the website and on page 51 of the Drivers Rewards redemption item list, you won't find anything we have in the store"

Come on, Denny's?

What's worse?

Buffets where you don't know what was thrown in the food or how old it is?

I had a good one happen the other day. I am at a T/A where I have a gazillion points on my card and want some pseudo Mexican. So I wait in line for 15 minutes, place my order and hand them my credit card. Opps the credit card machine isn't working. So the idiot behind the counter asked if I have a rewards card and pointed to the sign. He said "go get a coupon for $5 and that will take care of the bill" so I did. I stand in line again, then get up to the front and hand him the coupon. He looks then tries to ring it up, called the shift supervisor over and she looks at it, then turns to me and tells me I have to buy something else. So I ask her "with what?" she gave me a lame excuse that they can't redeem the point without a purchase and I pointed to the sign and asked her what does it say. She insisted I buy something else and I refused. I told her to charge something and then adjust the inventory but she was clueless to what that meant. I took back the coupon and went to the manager of the T/A. He said he never heard of this crap and handed me cash to pay for the meal. I later learned that the agreement with T/A says that have to accept it for full payment for the meal.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is amazing the expectation that some drivers have just because they purchase some fuel...they think everyone should give them discounts and pander to their every need...like the TS should kiss their butt an bless the ground they walk on...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM,
You sure they were Amish?

I seen only Mennonites at the buffet.

Honestly I can't tell the difference...

But for people who are known for their frugality and healthy lifestyle and work ethic..it endorses the J as a good value for the price by an esteemed group...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I'm going to have a buffet I'd much rather have golden corral. I'd take a denny's breakfast for six bucks over a j buffet at ten bucks but I really like breakfast at any time of day.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I'm going to have a buffet I'd much rather have golden corral. I'd take a denny's breakfast for six bucks over a j buffet at ten bucks but I really like breakfast at any time of day.

I have the seniors breakfast at the J...enough for me...4.99 minus seniors discount....

guido4475

Not a Member
It is amazing the expectation that some drivers have just because they purchase some fuel...they think everyone should give them discounts and pander to their every need...like the TS should kiss their butt an bless the ground they walk on...

I must say I disagree with your comment, there, buckaroo !.Nobody can tell me that truckstops do not make a decent profit off of fuel alone,I have a freind leased to Landstar and he showed me where what Landstar BCO's pay for fuel after the Landstar discount is 2 cents above the price what the truckstops buy the fuel for.His price paid was 49 cents below the pump price.So when I had my straight truck, and it took 350 gallons to fill it back up, there was obviously a handsome profit there.I know vans dont add up to much at one time like that, but it does add up in the long run.It is our choice where to go and fuel, shower,eat, etc.Let everyone buy fuel, etc at one truckstop chain for each day of the week, and let's see how the truckstops start whining.They are after our money, nothing else.Let them earn our business instead of offering us some shower program that makes no sense at all.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
well crap guido, I put 100 gallons in my truck last week at the T/A in Monroe and it was 40 cents less per gallon than the pump cash price. I know they are still making 10 cents on each gallon coming out of the pump.

They act as if they are losing money when it comes to service but it could have fooled me with their mark up of oil - their cost is $17 but they are selling it at --> $32. On one gallon of oil they are making $15.

We are a trapped consumer. We are at the mercy of these companies who act as they are doing us a favor.