After 18 years no longer with Fed Ex Custom Critical.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
People are free to think that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, and for some such as A team it is. I never really ran into the issues A Team described and no one over in green really bothers me. So i'm good.

Some people are fine settling in at a company and never going after more or lack the skills to do it. There are other people that want more and have the skills to accomplish it. Everyone needs to make the choice that works for them and their abilities.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Some people are fine settling in at a company and never going after more or lack the skills to do it. There are other people that want more and have the skills to accomplish it. Everyone needs to make the choice that works for them and their abilities.
For others it's not even about not wanting more or not having the skills, it's more about not knowing about what's different about another place. ATeam, for example, didn't think the grass was all that greener... until he left. He spent his entire trucking career with FedEx and knew it well, but was utterly clueless about how things operate outside of that FedEx bubble. People could tell him that things were different, and they often did, but he couldn't comprehend what they were talking about because he had no frame of reference. They might as well have been speaking to him in a foreign language, because everything they said was taken within the context of his experiences at FedEx. But after he left, his eyes were opened, he saw the light and heard the angels sing.

Deville

Not a Member

I suppose. I think it's a pretty much well established fact that if you are making your bottom line number every week, every month and are well versed in the way the industry works, the entire industry not just the expediting part of it than why would you make a move. Why ruin a good thing for the sake of doing something just to do something. I don't agree with what a lot of the OP posted....that being said people need to do what's right for them and their business.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's been pointed out many times that a good carrier for one person might be terrible for someone else.

I've heard good things about LS but I'm sure there are plenty if people who tried their system and found it wasn't for them. Obviously the same can be said for the Fed. Or every other carrier out there.

To everyone out there who is happy with their carrier I say congratulations.

To everyone else I say, What are you waiting for.

Life is too short to just settle for a miserable job. Make a change. There's lots of choices out there.

Reactions: TeamPaul

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Uncle Bob great post!

Everyone has to make their own decision and staying at a carrier you are happy with and making the money you need is a great decision. Why change?

After being at Landstar for a few months like inthewind said there is a lot more here at Landstar we are responsible for then we were at FXCC. We are happy with our move and we are happy taking on the additional responsibility at this time in our lives. I believe 100% that if we had made this move nine years ago we were not ready for this type of company. It is easy to see why Landstar requires experience and will not take on new people.

Three of the people I know that are posting on here did VERY well at FXCC and were able to purchase trucks and pay them off in record time so the money was very good. We all have our reasons to make a move and they are not all the same.

We spent ten wonderful years at FXCC and we look back with a lot of fondness and now we are looking forward to the new challenges we are facing. We made the change when it was right for us and we are still living our dream and enjoying our days as Expediters.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeamPaul

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I suppose. I think it's a pretty much well established fact that if you are making your bottom line number every week, every month and are well versed in the way the industry works, the entire industry not just the expediting part of it than why would you make a move. Why ruin a good thing for the sake of doing something just to do something. I don't agree with what a lot of the OP posted....that being said people need to do what's right for them and their business.

It's not ruining a good thing just to do something. Any move from one company to another is something that should be considered carefully. When a business owner sees an opportunity to improve business or their life then they take that risk. It's no different than taking the risk of moving from a company driver to an owner operator. People that take the risk of buying a truck do so in hopes of improving their lives. Why wouldn't they try to get the most that they can for taking that risk?

Landstar is FAR from being a company that is for everyone and I highly doubt that it would be the right company for more than 15-20% of owner operators. That's a complete guess but based on my experience and what I have seen in the industry. The biggest issue would be missing skills that revolve around sales and marketing. That's not a slam on drivers because most people don't have those abilities or the confidence needed. ATeam had a great post on describing what they did to market themselves and their truck to Landstar agents. It's just not a company that I would encourage everyone to go to but if you have the abilities then the benefits can be incredible.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I celebrated twenty years in expedited freight last month starting out with Roberts Express. As times change, so do carriers. I spent almost fourteen years with Roberts Express/FedEx Custom Critical and made a good living. We left FedEx in 2008 and moved our trucks to Panther Expedited Services and grew our fleet to almost 20 trucks in less than four years. Panther Expedited services has been a great company for us as we have grown our business so much. We made the choice to become a broker/freight agent for Sunteck Transportation back in September. Mayfield Express is now powered by Sunteck Transportation and we now able to sign on owner operators.

Some people leave carriers not because they are bad, because they may want to change the way their business operates. Carriers change the way they operate all the time, which may or may not upset the contractors they have. Our business plan has changed and that is why we are leaving our current carrier, not because they are a bad company. Sometimes you want the freedom to do your own thing. I will say this, being a dispatcher is not as easy as you may think. Finding freight for trucks and covering loads can be very stressful at times. As a driver I have more respect for the job that dispatchers do.

Life is to short to and you have to do what makes you happy. Did I ever think I would leave FedEx? Nope, I had planned to retire from there. I never thought I would leave Panther either as they have been so good to us. We wanted to do something different that Panther didn't offer and they understood that. I wish you the best of luck with your new beginnings at Landstar as they to are a great company.

NTHEWIND

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks everybody that took the time to write some very thoughtful replies without going into a bunch of 'company bashing' . Like I stated in my opening line it was good while it lasted. Most people agreed that companies and people change. Is it not GREAT that we live in a country that we have the freedom to change jobs, companies and even start our own company. God bless AMERICA!

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've tried a change back in '96, switching from big truck to a cargo van leased with Roberts. I didn't like it and one week later I went back to my truck. Then again in '99, this time with a big truck. Lots of disappointments during the first month, topped with the last dispatched run from KY to CA. As soon as I left the truck stop, they cancelled the run. I cancelled any other thoughts about driving for them...

Exit99

Rookie Expediter
It's been pointed out many times that a good carrier for one person might be terrible for someone else.

I've heard good things about LS but I'm sure there are plenty if people who tried their system and found it wasn't for them. Obviously the same can be said for the Fed. Or every other carrier out there.

To everyone out there who is happy with their carrier I say congratulations.

To everyone else I say, What are you waiting for.

Life is too short to just settle for a miserable job. Make a change. There's lots of choices out there.

Amen...making our vocation a vacation!

Attachments

• MOV.jpg
    MOV.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 37

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Landstar is FAR from being a company that is for everyone and I highly doubt that it would be the right company for more than 15-20% of owner operators. That's a complete guess but based on my experience and what I have seen in the industry. The biggest issue would be missing skills that revolve around sales and marketing. That's not a slam on drivers because most people don't have those abilities or the confidence needed.

While it is true that running successfully with Landstar (decentralized dispatch system) requires a different skill set than what is required to run successfully with a carrier that has a centralized dispatch system, it is also true that expediting of any kind is a business and business skills are required if prosperity is to be achieved.

Diane and I saw it again and again in expediting; drivers blaming their carrier for their woes when the real problem was their own lack of business skills and their unwillingness to develop them. While an abundance of hours of layover time are theirs to enjoy, they do not use that time to study the business and learn how to succeed.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
For others it's not even about not wanting more or not having the skills, it's more about not knowing about what's different about another place. ATeam, for example, didn't think the grass was all that greener... until he left. He spent his entire trucking career with FedEx and knew it well, but was utterly clueless about how things operate outside of that FedEx bubble. People could tell him that things were different, and they often did, but he couldn't comprehend what they were talking about because he had no frame of reference. They might as well have been speaking to him in a foreign language, because everything they said was taken within the context of his experiences at FedEx. But after he left, his eyes were opened, he saw the light and heard the angels sing.

That is a fair characterization.

It is also worth noting that until FedEX Custom Critical changed their system in ways that undermined our business (thus prompting us to leave), we continually spoke with many expediters and many different carriers. None of them were able to show that we could have done better there than with FCC.

We may have been clueless about how other carriers operated but we were fully dialed in about the money. It simply never happened that we met other teams from other carriers who were more successful with their carriers than we were at FCC.

We did not leave FCC because Landstar Express America or any other carrier suddenly got better. We left FCC because they changed their systems for the worse.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I see landstar drivers seem to be happy as far as things are run ive always wondered thhose who set sail to landstar if they are staying busier as far as freight goes and pay are they making more as for me thats what makes me happy

In our case, it could be said we were less busy at Landstar. But we were also more profitable. Our revenue per total miles driven (all miles; personal, deadhead loaded) increased dramatically at Landstar. In other words, we drove less and made more.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In our case, it could be said we were less busy at Landstar. But we were also more profitable. Our revenue per total miles driven (all miles; personal, deadhead loaded) increased dramatically at Landstar. In other words, we drove less and made more.

......that's a good thing!!

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That is a fair characterization.
And I don't think it's a characterization that is unique to you. I think it fits a lot of people who have been at one carrier their entire career, and have learned to work within the carrier's system to be successful. They aren't really motivated to learn the details of other carriers an view them in a light that would reflect negatively on their current carrier, since they've been successful at what they've been doing. It's virtually impossible to be objective about the details when you've only got the one frame of reference, especially when that frame, and it's success, engenders a certain loyalty.

It is also worth noting that until FedEX Custom Critical changed their system in ways that undermined our business (thus prompting us to leave), we continually spoke with many expediters and many different carriers. None of them were able to show that we could have done better there than with FCC.
Yeah, there's got to be a motivator to leave. Leaving just for the sake of leaving doesn't make any sense. Carriers are forever changing things, and for many people one of those changes, or an aggregate of them, can often prove to be that motivation.

I am also of the opinion that if you can be successful at one carrier you can be successful at pretty much any carrier, even if those carriers are as different as night and day. There's a learning curve and adjustments to be made, but if you've been successful at one place then you've learned how to deal with those. I learned the business, within a narrow frame of reference, at Con-Way NOW, and when I suddenly found myself at Panther it was quite different. I was determined to deal with the learning curve and make the adjustments and be successful. And I was. But they too eventually made enough changes that motivated me to leave.

We may have been clueless about how other carriers operated but we were fully dialed in about the money. It simply never happened that we met other teams from other carriers who were more successful with their carriers than we were at FCC.

We did not leave FCC because Landstar Express America or any other carrier suddenly got better. We left FCC because they changed their systems for the worse.
And fortunately you were able to take your success at FCC and translate that to Landstar, despite the leaning curve and adjustments it required. At the time it happened, though, I found it very interesting, and somewhat amusing, how the FCC narrative changed, not only because of the changes they made to their business, but how everything looked once the rose colored glassed came off. I wasn't surprised, though. My thought was, "Welp. there it is. There ya go." :D

guido4475

Not a Member
I do have higher Then normal personal miles because where I live..

Oh, bull-sh#t, Ken. You don't go home that often to begin with, but you are trying to cover up you're excessive jumping around, trying to be #1 in an area, instead of just sitting and waiting you're turn. Stop with the B-S already by trying to justify you're decision to go with everything you have preached against in the past.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok guys this is a thread about the fed let's call a truce and let it return to what it was meant to be.

My apologies to the op.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
And fortunately you were able to take your success at FCC and translate that to Landstar, despite the leaning curve and adjustments it required. At the time it happened, though, I found it very interesting, and somewhat amusing, how the FCC narrative changed, not only because of the changes they made to their business, but how everything looked once the rose colored glassed came off. I wasn't surprised, though. My thought was, "Welp. there it is. There ya go." :D

When the company was rosy, the narrative was rosy. When the company changed, the narrative changed. My perception was accurate the whole time. The change in narrative had nothing to do with eyewear, it had to do with actual changes in the company (new top management, demoting FCC from a stand-alone company in the FedEx family to a component of FedEx Freight, changes in the dispatch system, running newly purchased company-owned equipment in direct competition with the company's contractors, rate cuts, fleet owner rules changes and more).