A&E shipping wars LOL

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
lol more action ... u got a contract deal with a&e lol when white lines and tail lights are in i can have the camera men lol ... 2 load and unloads a bunch for me in a day 3 would thow me therw a loop lol

I only work 3.5 hours a night with a 1 hour lay over..

Most weeks we throw in a over nighter on Saturday or Sunday night. Or a few dash and backs that I can do in 10 hours or less (I gotta sleep and be back for the route)

And yes.. It pays my bills well.. The 5 night a week route covers all my expenses, home and truck. Anything on top of that is fun money :)

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
sounds nice ... home most nights ... i always dreamed of being an otr driver and im lovein every minute of it ... u work hualin from an airport dont ya (i think we talked bout it when i was in monroe) sounds like a fun job u ever drive on the tar mac

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
sounds nice ... home most nights ... i always dreamed of being an otr driver and im lovein every minute of it ... u work hualin from an airport dont ya (i think we talked bout it when i was in monroe) sounds like a fun job u ever drive on the tar mac

I drive right up to the plane to load/unload. :)

Some days I wish I was out on the road.

Say, for those that watched the show, or know..

They say the bids all end at a certain time like feebay. I can't say I have ever found anything like that on uship.

I have hauled exactly 0 loads from uship mainly because the few times I have bid, I have watched it get down to the "WTF" levels.

But I suspect once in a blue you find a good one.

AET2010

Active Expediter
Well, I watched the first show (until I fell asleep). I thought it was quite boring. Same character mix you see on similar shows such as "storage wars", "auction wars", "pawn stars"....I guess the situations are portrait to entertain and not be representative of the industrie. What more to say, it's TV!
Tom

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I watched the show for the first time last night and found it to be inspirational.

It inspired us to change the channel.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Seemed like a big infomercial for uship...

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What I have seen is a skid being loaded unto a pick up truck..the old guy was related to the plant manager or some higher up and was supplimenting his pension....now that is one load lost to our industry...

bobgrantham

Active Expediter
This looks like good area to post this. I am an experienced O/O out of San Antonio. Selling the big truck and trying to decide to buy a Sprinter and go into expediting. If you are an experienced expediter, would like some feed back on companies and the industry in general.
Presently, gross income is running around $125K with the big truck. Is this feasible with Sprinter, how long do you stay out at a time, and what area of the country is expediting the best? I am almost sure it's not Texas. Need any solid info you can give. Standing by.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
This looks like good area to post this. I am an experienced O/O out of San Antonio. Selling the big truck and trying to decide to buy a Sprinter and go into expediting. If you are an experienced expediter, would like some feed back on companies and the industry in general.
Presently, gross income is running around $125K with the big truck. Is this feasible with Sprinter, how long do you stay out at a time, and what area of the country is expediting the best? I am almost sure it's not Texas. Need any solid info you can give. Standing by.

Don't expect to make close to the same money if you make any at all, there are guys that do well but the majority fail. I just got back into a truck myself because things just weren't moving enough to pay the bills. There is a decent amount of expedited freight moving in Texas, a lot of it is auto parts moving back and forth over the border.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Brisco

Expert Expediter

That's exactly what it was....................:mad:

3 of the guys on the show last night were actual Legit truckers. The long haired goofball (an Ex-RV Transporter), the boat hauling couple, and the guy with the 18 wheeler all had their own authorities and such.

The guy with the Van and the Cargo Trailer was an ILLEGAL as all HELL "For Hire" carrier, period. He is the problem we have with U-Ship. If the guy actually had to pay for insurance and run legal, he would NOT be bidding at the prices he was bidding.

I hope to hell this finally opens up the doors for an investigation into U-Ships illegal practice of operating a "Freight Brokerage" website without the proper Broker Authority or "accessible bond".

As far as the 3 "Legal" Haulers on last nights 2 Episodes..... Next time "cheap freight" rates ticks you off....let those idiots have it when you run across them at a truck stop or rest area while on the road. My opinion, those guys are placing "Targets" on their backs with what they're willing to run for. I'm quite sure they won't be welcomed too well from other truckers while out there on the road.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
That's exactly what it was....................:mad:

3 of the guys on the show last night were actual Legit truckers. The long haired goofball (an Ex-RV Transporter), the boat hauling couple, and the guy with the 18 wheeler all had their own authorities and such.

The guy with the Van and the Cargo Trailer was an ILLEGAL as all HELL "For Hire" carrier, period. He is the problem we have with U-Ship. If the guy actually had to pay for insurance and run legal, he would NOT be bidding at the prices he was bidding.

I hope to hell this finally opens up the doors for an investigation into U-Ships illegal practice of operating a "Freight Brokerage" website without the proper Broker Authority or "accessible bond".

As far as the 3 "Legal" Haulers on last nights 2 Episodes..... Next time "cheap freight" rates ticks you off....let those idiots have it when you run across them at a truck stop or rest area while on the road. My opinion, those guys are placing "Targets" on their backs with what they're willing to run for. I'm quite sure they won't be welcomed too well from other truckers while out there on the road.

And to think. if dude with the cargo van had signed on with a carrier.. He could live in his van and make money ;)

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
@cableguymn thats pretty sweet i went to school to be a a&p (air frame and power plant) tech but got and in trouble so im not able to pass the life time background to work for most airlines ... so in other words i love aircraft ... if your payin your bills id be happy but honistly i love the road to much as long as my bills are paid and foods on the table im more then happy ... the opening state ment said its shot and sponsered by uship of course there gona hype it and all the blatent illegal actvity buy a cargo van on there expect to be checked more offten and pulled over for inspections

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
@cableguymn thats pretty sweet i went to school to be a a&p (air frame and power plant) tech but got and in trouble so im not able to pass the life time background to work for most airlines ... so in other words i love aircraft ... if your payin your bills id be happy but honistly i love the road to much as long as my bills are paid and foods on the table im more then happy ... the opening state ment said its shot and sponsered by uship of course there gona hype it and all the blatent illegal actvity buy a cargo van on there expect to be checked more offten and pulled over for inspections

Funny you should say that.. I just got the anal inspection leaving my drop.. thank god it's during my lay over.

My van passed with flying colors. All paperwork UTD, nothing mechanically wrong with the van that he could find. (or that I know of) didn't scale me because I am empty and it would be pointless.

Asked him why the DOT would all of the sudden pull a unmarked cargo over.. "just checking, we saw you at the dock" was his answer. There is a TT depot across the street so I suspect he was bored.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
What little of the show I saw one guy didn't have the proper paperwork to haul and the rest was just a bunch of idiots. Talking smack like they are the best in the world of trucking.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
What little of the show I saw one guy didn't have the proper paperwork to haul and the rest was just a bunch of idiots. Talking smack like they are the best in the world of trucking.

One thing is true. They are hauling the crap no one else would.

armin88

Expert Expediter

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

That's all it is,the owner of uship Matt,is a money hungry jerk and can care less if you are legal or not.They also take favors over some TSP also,they started a system where after you book and log 12 shipments you can't no longer accept COD!Now with that being said,I think about month or two after I heard rumors the TSP members stop using uship and it was around 15%,so now I hear they are not doing that no more.When I started using uship in 2010,I can get anywhere from .95 cpm to $1.50 per mile on my 1 ton dully.I was of course legal with DOT and MC and carry insurance then people who couldn't find jobs starting towing boat and hauling fright cheap!I only haul boats and I was charging anywhere from .95 to $1.50 a mile even tho I try to get at lease $1.90 a mile but rare.Now forget it,I see boats being tow for .35 to .50 cpm! That's nuts!I haven't used uship for year now and never will again!:mad:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
When I started using uship in 2010,I can get anywhere from .95 cpm to $1.50 per mile on my 1 ton dully.I was of course legal with DOT and MC and carry insurance then people who couldn't find jobs starting towing boat and hauling fright cheap!I only haul boats and I was charging anywhere from .95 to $1.50 a mile even tho I try to get at lease $1.90 a mile but rare.Now forget it,I see boats being tow for .35 to .50 cpm! That's nuts!I haven't used uship for year now and never will again!:mad:

Honestly, with what you just said above, you ARE a problem to other "legitimate" trucking individuals by only charging .95 to $1.50 a mile pulling stuff with a 1 Ton Dually. You may not have realized it at the time, but you always have been a "Cheap Freight" hauler. Even with a 1 Ton Dually, hauling for those rates under your own authority and insurance just is not a money making venture whatsoever. Especially since you said you were doing it in 2010 when Diesel Prices were still in the $3.75 PLUS a gallon price range.

I used to run at those rates ($1.00 - $1.50 a mile) when Diesel was .99 cents to $1.49 and so. Made real good $$$ doing it too. Parked my 2007 Dually in 2007 when I paid $3.49 a gallon for Diesel while under load with a Trailer that was paying $1.30 a mile. (After delivery of course ;) ) Have not been on the road since.

Guess some of us are little smarter than others when it comes to running Smart, know what I mean. :cool: