9-13-2011 the day my life was saved

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Thanks to the Dr's at Leesburg Medical Center i am alive today. 9-13-11 was my 50th birthday i spent it in cancer surgery. I went in for a checkup on my colon and they found a tumor 2 1/2X 5 1/2 it broke through the colon wall but after looking at 28 lymph nodes from the surrounding area it showed that the cancer did not spread. So for any of you that have been putting it off please get it done. It saved my life and now i have two reasons to celebrate my birthday because it is also the day my life was saved.

jrcase

Seasoned Expediter
That is wonderful. I am so glad you decided to get a checkup. Were there any symptoms?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What an excellent birthday present! Here's to another 50 years. Also great advice on the colonoscopy.

jrcase

Seasoned Expediter
That's great news. I am glad you had the check up and found it. Did you have any symptoms?

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I am glad tht it was caught and hadn't spread. Having gone through a similar situation, it is scary when you hear the c word, when least expecting it. Wishing you the best in your recoveries and if we can do anything please let Nick or myself know.

Monty

Expert Expediter
When I was 50, (a long time ago), I went for my first exam, they removed 9 pollups, back in 3 years, they got 4 more, 3 years later only 2 ... and just a few weeks agon ... 4 more!

Dr says, "See you in 3 years!"

Had I not had the exam, the Dr said those first 9 would have been colon cancer by now ....

Go for the exam! That includes the ladies among us also!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Congrats and my hat is off to all of you that have had this procedure..i am 60 and have been putting it off for too many yrs...my 1st grandson was born this yr and his sister is due after the 1st of the yr...guess i really should make that appointment....Again Congrats...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Glad you are ok. Good advice for folks entering that age bracket.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Ken I'm glad your still here with us brother. Also when you going to come dive in our lake? I would really like to dive with you in our lake. Be safe out on the road.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
That is great news. My veterinarian boss had this exact same scenario happen to him when he was 78, when technology wasn't as advanced but getting there. He went through the preventive treatment after surgery, never a recurrence, went back to work until he passed away from natural causes last year...at the age of 94.

Now you too have alot of years left! Go get 'em...!

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
That C word is a scary word. You are in our thoughts and prayers at my house; That your recovery is swift and complete

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
That's great news. I am glad you had the check up and found it. Did you have any symptoms?

I had a lot of gas and pain from the gass but i thought it was just from the hernia that i also had. I went home to have my hernia repaired and they decided that they should scope and thats when they found it. The Dr says it has been growing most likley for years because of the size. So no my 3 sons will have to start getting checked at age 35.

Thank you all for the well wishes