22 vs 24 vs 26 foot box

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
How many times have you wished you had a bigger box?

Obviously a bigger box in general means more opportunities ( within reason as it is dependent on your carrier and your market to some degree as well), but this question may be more relevant now with companies like Fedex and Landstar integrating their operations, meaning more opportunities for general LTL freight.

Have any of you thought of giving up that extra sleeper space for extra cargo room?

I had believed for many years that the most profitable unit was a C Reefer with say maybe an 18 foot box (when you were hauling nothing but expedite) but with the recent integrations of operations at the above mentioned companies that may be begining to change.

What do you think?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
In the past 5 years we have only wished for a bigger box a couple times. Our dry box is almost 24' so we have plenty of room for our equipment and freight at this time. In the future it seems as if more room makes sense.

Each person or team needs to figure out a balance point on how long do you stay out, with a bigger sleeper how well do you utilize it to save money on hotels and eating out, can you figure out ways to have a smaller sleeper and bigger box work for you? I think if you are looking at buying a new or used truck you would really want to take a hard look at comfort versus income potential.

Andrew0580

Seasoned Expediter
I have lost more loads due to weight rather than length. I think you would benefit more from a drop axle or twin screw.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
one thing you have to watch for is lenght laws in some states if you have a long sleeper and long box you will have to have extra axle i think it's 40' lenght over all

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
I thought I had the right set-up. I bought a 2002 Intl tractor, 72" bunk, SINGLE axle and added a generator and pulled a 40' liftgate trailer. Landstar let me call/list it as a D unit so agents would see me in the system. Worked out well until I parted ways with my driver..lol. Just when you think you have it all figured out......

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So Wally, who is the guy with the E unit in LEAM?

I thought I saw a 40 foot D unit somewhere.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Road... I have a 24' box, and have been called many times because the freight wouldn't fit in a 22'. Also, I've lost a couple because my box is only 92" wide. Just something I've learned for next time.

One other thing... it depends on which company you're with. Like the Caffees said, they've only lost a couple with FXCC, because their box was too short. If you're with a smaller company, you're competing with many other small companies for the same freight. Guess who will be called if the customer sees you have a truck they need.

Last edited:

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
Greg, Tom from Pittsburgh has a 53 liftgate and Kujit from Sacramento has a 53 liftgate. I pull a 48 liftgate and that 40' D is mine ,but driverless . greg

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Prolly very few of you have no clue as to how much freight you've lost because of weight capacity or cube capacity. When your dimensions and capacity are pasted all over your dispatchers screen you are only going to be offered freight that will fit YOUR truck. Now, if you have a fubar from dispatch and the freight won't fit then you'll know what you've missed. And that'd be the only time.

I'd suggest that y'all folks running around with a comfy camper or a "toy truck", would be very, very, very upset with yourselves- - -if'n you only knew.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a '22 with '20 of usable. If I have lost loads to the sizes I have I don't know about them. We do ok as we are. We seldom fill the box either in weight or interior size.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Col brings up an excellent point about not knowing how many loads you've lost, because dispatch won't call a 22' box when they know they need a 24'. I can tell you the number of loads that filled up my 24', in the last two years, were easily counted on two hands or more. Some of those were dispatch asking, "Can you handle it?" Always worth a shot. There's more than one way to squeeze freight in. And, more often than not, they'll take the bird in hand, rather than call for a semi.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Col, it is the same old thing, people worry about the one that got away but not the one that is sitting in front of them.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The ONLY reason we would need a longer box is to have room for a HOT TUB!!! LOL!! Most of our loads would fit in a shorter box than what we have. If we have lost a few, so be it, we will do with what we have.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The ONLY reason we would need a longer box is to have room for a HOT TUB!!! LOL!! Most of our loads would fit in a shorter box than what we have. If we have lost a few, so be it, we will do with what we have.

A lot of people think the same way with politics, or life in general. ;)

Again... it comes down to how much dispatch talks to you. If you get the right crew, they'll practically steer your truck for you (figuratively, thank you!), by telling you where they've been getting loads lately, or seeing loads on a daily basis. I prefer to talk to someone who knows their shlavaka, rather than trusting a macro.

Last edited:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I know, I know. It's humdullah today, however, believe I read how gloomy it wuz for one of the posters jes a couple months back. Y'all gotta go with what ya gotta have. It's fine with me. However, the sooner ya pay attention to what yer doing, the sooner ya can go camp'in and fish'in full time.

Hawk, after ALL the conversations we've had about ALL things, how in the world could you get "stuck" with a ninety six incher?? Hooo Boy!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The size of your cargo box is only ONE of the things that determine what loads you can get or miss. Your qualifications, other equipment, training etc count for loads as much or more than JUST square footage. We all have our niche. We ran out of hours this week and were forced to take a 34 re-set. While this was the first time this year that it happened is it NOT the first time ever. We are normally busy and enjoy what we handle. Tonage, length, height, width etc of what your truck can do is NOT the only important things. Temp control is just ONE other thing. Most of our REALLY good paying loads were NOT big in size. Just the nature of the beast.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The size of your cargo box is only ONE of the things that determine what loads you can get or miss. Your qualifications, other equipment, training etc count for loads as much or more than JUST square footage. We all have our niche. We ran out of hours this week and were forced to take a 34 re-set. While this was the first time this year that it happened is it NOT the first time ever. We are normally busy and enjoy what we handle. Tonage, length, height, width etc of what your truck can do is NOT the only important things. Temp control is just ONE other thing. Most of our REALLY good paying loads were NOT big in size. Just the nature of the beast.

I agree, it's not the only thing. But every little bit, whether it be sq ftage, liftgate, reefer, accessories, the fact that you're a team or not, the fact that dispatch likes/trusts you or not, etc., comes into play for getting that extra load. If you see the loads on the board, you'd probably be surprised at how many say "24' truck needed".

Col... very simple. I forgot to measure the width! :D I got caught up in it being a liftgate, 24' box, etc... It's one of many things this truck taught me to check for on truck #2.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
How many times have you wished you had a bigger box?

Obviously a bigger box in general means more opportunities ( within reason as it is dependent on your carrier and your market to some degree as well), but this question may be more relevant now with companies like Fedex and Landstar integrating their operations, meaning more opportunities for general LTL freight.

Have any of you thought of giving up that extra sleeper space for extra cargo room?

I had believed for many years that the most profitable unit was a C Reefer with say maybe an 18 foot box (when you were hauling nothing but expedite) but with the recent integrations of operations at the above mentioned companies that may be begining to change.

What do you think?

As you can see, nobody can give you an exact answer. Most told you of their own experiences or observations. But if you read back over all these posts, one thing stands out. You need to have what gives you an advantage over "he" that has not. You may not use it once a month or less, but at least you have it when the load becomes avaliable. Me??? I have long (24 foot), wide (98 inch), tall (102 inch) box. No liftgate (and never will have one). But I need lift axle for more weight. So see, most of us here wish for one or two other advantages on our trucks.