1 Week Off Limit

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
You wouldn't be on a pipeline full/empty situation if you were paid each trip upon delivery. But, beings you are on a two week pay situation, it is in fact a pipeline of sorts.

So...... If you have a two week to pay agreement, and have been not generating revenue for two weeks you should be paid up, and, the pipeline as such WILL be empty.To me it is amazing like evidently OVM that we get to read the whining because someone is pissed shortly after they shot themselves in the foot.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Okay reread the thread, did not see where people were whining about having a lack of money to do their job, just that they thought it was a crock that PII does this without warning, and that it should be covered in orientation

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You wouldn't be on a pipeline full/empty situation if you were paid each trip upon delivery. But, beings you are on a two week pay situation, it is in fact a pipeline of sorts.

So...... If you have a two week to pay agreement, and have been not generating revenue for two weeks you should be paid up, and, the pipeline as such WILL be empty.To me it is amazing like evidently OVM that we get to read the whining because someone is pissed shortly after they shot themselves in the foot.

You're still missing the point. It's the "you should be paid up" that's not happening. No one shot themselves in the foot. If anything, there's a hole in my foot that I didn't put there. Panther did. And while they will admit to owning the gun that fired the bullet that put the hole in my foot, no one at Panther fired the gun. It went off by itself, automatically.

Nobody is complaining that their pipeline ran dry. Everyone knows that when you take off work you're pipeline is gonna run dry. They're complaining because the pipeline was abruptly, and without warning, cut off before it was supposed to have run dry on its own.

The money is sooo not the issue. They would have loaded the money that they should have paid me last week onto my card if I had asked. In fact, they were going to, anyway, but I specifically asked that they not do so.

While there is some sound reasoning behind the policy, the actual implementation of the policy is retarded and ripe with incompetence. I suppose I could just sit back and take it like so many others do, but I won't. I've offered up solutions to the problem, in writing, both here and to the person at Panther who needs to know. I don't think I'm whining.

I'm protesting.
protest.gif

Reactions: 1 person

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
PII changes the rules to suit PII. PII interprets the rules to benefit PII. PII should not take one up the exhaust, but they should not stick one in yours either.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
PII changes the rules to suit PII. PII interprets the rules to benefit PII. PII should not take one up the exhaust, but they should not stick one in yours either.

I am trying to figure out where they lose anything. This should be in their budget to cover an outlay of funds to owners as part of their contractual obligations. If they can't that is poor management, the same goes for changing policies. They don't lose any money and seem to be chasing pennies.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
One example of changing the rules. Pickup time of 00:45 not loaded until 06:45, arrive at consignee on time for a 23:30 unload. not unloaded until 07:30. according to the contract I should have received 4 hours detention at the PU and 6 hours detention at the consignee's. PII's answer was no detention time paid. Customer's schedual changed after you arrived, so we changed the PU and delivery time.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We had this happen once several years ago, but got it straightened out. Not sure on the value of this check hold policy unless there is a deficit with the escrow?
I am not really sure if this just affects single truck owners?
I agree with Turtle that it really isn't a money issue as much as a policy one. It may be cost prohibitive to include it in a manual without knowing the actual reason behind it.
At a bare minimum this type of policy should be conveyed on the drivers web site.
Since we have it, might be a good idea to actually use it.
Maybe something that the driver council can get addressed?
The minute you have a policy that is arbitrary in nature, the confusion can be costly for everyone.
Maybe someone at Panther will be reading.
For the amount of money they may be saving, it appears they are spending beyond that to administrate it with all the calls.
I hope it isn't one of those "spending a dollar to save a dime" programs.

whitey1

Seasoned Expediter
So the answer to the question is...YES, it is an unannounced Panther policy.
Turtle hit all the nails quite squarely about WHY this is not good to withold driver's pay without telling them, so no need to address that again.
So now I feel I must speak to the Ontario Van Man ( and the jumpers-on, Tenneseehawk and xCOL06) for your jumping to conclusions.
OVM, you have leapt to many and all false accusations towards me.
I have been expediting, with Panther, long enough to earn my way from a driver to an owner/operator, with a paid- for truck. And I am saving, cash, for the next truck (or a different venture when it gets to the point that I am essentially driving for zero profit).
Perhaps you should get some facts before launching into a personal attack. No need to apologise, bud , just remember to take your meds from now on. :)
Like Turtle said, I'm not whining about having the cash to run my business, I just want to know what the rules are.
BTW, using a credit card has plusses and minus's. Have you ever noticed the difference at the Fuel Stops for cash vs. credit prices? It may be neglible with a 24 MPG Sprinter, but it can add up with a 7-10 MPG straight truck.
Now I would like to add, I STILL LIKE PANTHER, THEY KEEP ME LOADED. Just keep me informed please, i.e. just be honest and upfront.
So,OVM, your "advise" holds true, if your business can't weather a few bumps, better think twice about going all out for it. It just isn't warranted in a personal attack on me and your ill-perceived notions of me and how I run my business.
Funny the dead silence from a certain sector of this forum, hopefully they are enjoying some time off.
Just not more than one week...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Whitey... where did I mention Panther anywhere in my post? What I stated was:

"Unfortunately, tho, what OVM states is too common an occurrence in expediting. Running week to week is the norm for most. And a little screw up on the carrier's part could mean the difference between the truck moving/not moving and the driver eating/not eating. Not the best way to do business, but I've been guilty of it too, at times."

Now prove any of that wrong. I'm not on anyone's "bandwagon", I'm stating what I know to be fact.

whitey1

Seasoned Expediter
In general terms, your post was spot on.
Since you referenced OVM's post attacking me, I took it as "piling on".
You recieved an unsolicited personal endorsement from a driver to me a couple years ago, I've always remembered that and have accorded your posts with a degree of trust.
You just erred in assuming someone else's assumption that this is my first day in expediting.
NBD.
Keep on telling the truth as you see it, I normally appreciate it. :)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
On the contrary... my post was general in nature, and not pointed towards anyone. Like I said... just stating things I know. Like you said... NBD :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whitey..I too was kinda generalizing ...as Hawk said way too many have no savings and are working from load to load....AND even I have been guilty of such practices.
You gotta see P2 is nothing but a money machine owned by an investment company. They don't own a thing except the name and have no vested interest in you. Other then thier own income. With thier leased Building and leased computers, they could fold up tomorrow high and dry...IF the investors said to.
All the rules are changed to thier favour always.

Reactions: 1 person

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
We had this happen once several years ago, but got it straightened out. Not sure on the value of this check hold policy unless there is a deficit with the escrow?
I am not really sure if this just affects single truck owners?
I agree with Turtle that it really isn't a money issue as much as a policy one. It may be cost prohibitive to include it in a manual without knowing the actual reason behind it.
At a bare minimum this type of policy should be conveyed on the drivers web site.
Since we have it, might be a good idea to actually use it.
Maybe something that the driver council can get addressed?
The minute you have a policy that is arbitrary in nature, the confusion can be costly for everyone.
Maybe someone at Panther will be reading.
For the amount of money they may be saving, it appears they are spending beyond that to administrate it with all the calls.
I hope it isn't one of those "spending a dollar to save a dime" programs.
Dave if it is you can bet it is coming out of the owners pocket, not Panthers!

Falligator

Expert Expediter
One example of changing the rules. Pickup time of 00:45 not loaded until 06:45, arrive at consignee on time for a 23:30 unload. not unloaded until 07:30. according to the contract I should have received 4 hours detention at the PU and 6 hours detention at the consignee's. PII's answer was no detention time paid. Customer's schedual changed after you arrived, so we changed the PU and delivery time.
Another example: Panther called me on a load while I was in Florida (going from Orlando to Miami). P/U was scheduled for 2330 and I was informed that the load was ready now. When I arrived at the shipper noone was there except security. Security informed me to wait til 0000 and someone should be coming along, but he wasn't sure who would. at 0000 I was spoke to personel at the shipper who told me that the freight was still in Birmingham and was not there yet. I called Panther and they told me to "sit tight" until they could get ahold of the customer who ordered the freight. I told them the name of person at the shipper who told me information about freight and they said that they would call me back. 0230 in the morning and still no call from Panther. I called them up and they said that they had not gotten ahold of anyone at the cons. Finally, 0630 rolls around I get a call from Panther. They got ahold of customer and my load cancelled. so I thought I was going to get detention pay from 0230 to 0630 "4" hrs. Not so. When I recieved my check only 50$ for the dry run was on there. When I talked to payroll they told me that since the load cancelled they only had to pay me for a dry run.

What really got me was that the same night they tried to dispatch me on the same load. Ya'll can bet I turned that one down.
ShawnF
Panther

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The fact that dispatch told you to wait, from 2330 until 0630, makes it detention, as far as I'm concerned - calling it a dry run, and paying just $50 for it, is pretty shabby treatment. If the customer hadn't cancelled the load until 0630, then they were in the wrong, and should pony up, IMO. It's shameful, how often things like that happen, and only the driver loses on the deal.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
The fact that dispatch told you to wait, from 2330 until 0630, makes it detention, as far as I'm concerned - calling it a dry run, and paying just $50 for it, is pretty shabby treatment. If the customer hadn't cancelled the load until 0630, then they were in the wrong, and should pony up, IMO. It's shameful, how often things like that happen, and only the driver loses on the deal.
What really made me mad was that they offered me the same exact load the next night.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
And the fact that I was the only driver available to take the load on the 4th of July evening. Guess we just have no say.

ShawnF

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For anything unusual like that, dry run, detention, whatever, don't do a wait-and-see when the settlement comes out. That's too late. Get it taken care of right then, over the QC. If you incur detention, they have to pay it. If you don't get it confirmed at the time over the QC, they won't pay it out later when the time comes. Hold their feet to the fire right then until they give it up. Burn the QC keyboard up with message after message until you get a confirmation.