The Fake News Depot

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The local news in my area (Detroit) is almost identical to each other. Three big local stations that carry multiple news programs daily. They lean heavily left with their political reporting. The Fox News affiliate does carry national reporting from Fox News, everything else though with their local political reporting is every bit as left as the other two stations. It's pretty much unwatchable.

Reactions: davekc and Solar

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The local news in my area (Detroit) is almost identical to each other. Three big local stations that carry multiple news programs daily. They lean heavily left with their political reporting. The Fox News affiliate does carry national reporting from Fox News, everything else though with their local political reporting is every bit as left as the other two stations. It's pretty much unwatchable.
Believe it or not, i do agree but for different reasons....

Back in the Bill Bonds, Mort Crim days it was much better.

Reactions: Solar and muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Here's the kind of FAKE NEWS that is the most pervasive in the media. It's the kind of news crafted to tell a political narrative irrespective of reality, as a means to tell the reader how and what to think about something. Washington Post headline...

Trump’s visit to Iraq prompts concerns about politicization of military

"Not by anybody that matters," was my knee-jerk reaction to reading the headline. I decided to go ahead and read the article to see if I was off base here. With persistent anti-Trumper Philip Rucker being in the byline, I wasn't encouraged. Turns out, I wasn't off base, either.

Here are the first four paragraphs of the piece:
A day after President Trump’s surprise visit to American forces in Iraq and Germany, questions persisted about whether he had jeopardized the political neutrality of the U.S. military by leveling partisan attacks and signing red “Make America Great Again” hats for the troops.

The president’s behavior — out of step with that of his predecessors — highlighted the struggle Pentagon leaders face in navigating an avowedly apolitical military through a hyperpartisan era in U.S. politics, particularly under a commander in chief unafraid of breaking with established norms.

The struggle is likely to intensify with the beginning of the 2020 presidential campaign and the departure of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, who sought to prevent the military from becoming a pawn in the nation’s tribal politics, at times unsuccessfully, before his resignation last week.

Trump defended his conduct late Thursday. “CNN & others within the Fake News Universe were going wild about my signing MAGA hats for our military in Iraq and Germany,” he wrote on Twitter. “If these brave young people ask me to sign their hat, I will sign. Can you imagine my saying NO? We brought or gave NO hats as the Fake News first reported!”

If you haven't touched on the news story by the end of the fourth paragraph, you don't have a news story. At this point in the story, it's pretty clear the "concerns" about any politicization of the military are coming from his normal anti-Trump critics, and not by anyone who matters. Otherwise that would have been touched on in the second paragraph, or certainly the fourth.

See, what happened is, just as the headlines from everyone in the MSM who got the memo began trumpeting that Trump is the first president since 2002 (meaning, Obama and Bush) not to visit the troops during Christmas time, Trump's plane was landing in Iraq. Whoops. MSM embarrassed. Suddenly the MSM once again looks like a bunch of coordinated morons. They gotta go after him for something, anything. Those damn red hats are infuriating.

How many presidents since 2002 have visited the troops in a war zone at Christmas time? Buehler? Buehler?

That's right, just the one - Trump. Bush visited troops at Walter Reed every Christmas, and Obama visited the troops at Marine Corps Base Hawaii every Christmas he was in office.

In 2017 Trump visited troops at Walter Reed at Christmastime, but it was on Dec 21st, not even remotely close enough to Christmas for the MSM to consider it to be a Christmastime visit. And a few days later, inching even closer to Christmastime, Trump had members of the Coast Guard over to his golf course in West Palm Beach, and later over to Mar a Lago for a visit and dinner. But they visited him, not the other way around. And besides, the Coast Guard isn't real troops, anyway. So that doesn't count.

NBC was so embarrassed that they changed their headline from "Christmastime" to read, "Trump becomes first president since 2002 not to visit troops on or before Christmas."

And they the've got this really lame editor's note that takes Bill Clinton's "depends on what your definition if is, is" to a whole nother level.

NBC has determined that Christmastime ends at midnight on Christmas night. <snort>

The WaPo piece goes on to detail the concerns of three people, none of whom matter in the slightest, and all of whom are well-established Trump Haters. And then, because WaPo disdains Trump so much, later on in the piece they actually go after the troops who support Trump. Much in the same way that CNN's Brian Stelter tried in vain to get Trump kicked off Twitter for violating Twitter's Terms of Service, because, you know, Trump's a big ol' meany, WaPo tries to get the troops kicked out of the military for violating Defense Department Directive 1344.10, which prohibits active-duty service members from participating in political rallies or giving the appearance of endorsing a candidate.

The military has a 74% approval rating with the American public, and the military loves Trump. That's an unacceptable combination to the MSM. And something must be done about it.

To use a military paradigm, the MSM is going to save this country, even if they have to destroy it to do so.

Reactions: davekc and Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

The reason for the norms, according to Rosa Brooks, a law professor and national security expert at Georgetown University, is to ensure that an institution endowed by the American public with tremendous power “isn’t being used for partisan ends.”

Unfortunately the main stream media, an institution trusted by the American public with tremendous power, refuses to adhere to journalistic norms and is being used for partisan ends.

Reactions: davekc

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

The reason for the norms, according to Rosa Brooks, a law professor and national security expert at Georgetown University, is to ensure that an institution endowed by the American public with tremendous power “isn’t being used for partisan ends.”

Unfortunately the main stream media, an institution trusted by the American public with tremendous power, refuses to adhere to journalistic norms and is being used for partisan ends.

Mainstream Media - “Hello, we’re the pot. We want you to know that the kettle is black.”

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I didn't know Newsweek was still in business. But it appears they are still in the business of Fake News.
Conservatives mock Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for college dancing video, everyone else thinks it’s adorable
You can find anything on Twitter to contrive a story.
"One Twitter user, whose handle referenced the QAnon conspiracy theory popular among supporters of President Donald Trump..."

OK, first of all, QAnon isn't popular with Trump supporters. QAnon isn't even a real thing. It was invented by a troll on 4chan literally to see if he could get the MSM media to bite.

Second the" Twitter user whose handle referenced the QAnon conspiracy" is AnonymousQ, and it is a Twitter handle that was created explicitly to message that Twit posting. Interesting that Newsweek didn't bother to link that particular Twit, or even name the account but they did link all of the other Twits they referenced. If they had named the account, or worse, linked to the Tweet, people would be able to quickly see that the person who created the AnonymousQ account isn't a conservative, or a Trump supporter, or associated in any way with QAnon. Turns out they are a hard core AOC supporter, attempting to engage in a breathtakingly lane false flag operation to bait conservatives and make AOC look like a poor, poor, innocent victim. It backfired bigly.

Reactions: muttly and davekc

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I really hope AOC doesn’t run for President, because I’d probably vote for her just because I would want to watch the world burn.

Reactions: muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The MSM is been working overtime tracking down government employees furloughed or working without pay, running human interest stories on how they're just barely scraping by and don't know how they're going to put food on the table or pay the heating bill. These poor, poor, innocent victims, and the big ol' meanie Trump doesn't care about them.

This coming Friday will be the FIRST paycheck they won't get during this shutdown.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The MSM is been working overtime tracking down government employees furloughed or working without pay, running human interest stories on how they're just barely scraping by and don't know how they're going to put food on the table or pay the heating bill. These poor, poor, innocent victims, and the big ol' meanie Trump doesn't care about them.

This coming Friday will be the FIRST paycheck they won't get during this shutdown.
Come on now!
Should they be worried?...... yep!

Should they be made fun of? ..........

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Come on now!

Yep. Especially the ones that have said they have been suffering for weeks and are about to be evicted. :D

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Come on now!

Yep. Especially the ones that have said they have been suffering for weeks and are about to be evicted. :D
Is that what we've become?....... My god! What a sad day in America when we think it's ok to make fun of fellow citizens that are worried about their financial future due to no fault of their own.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They'll all get their back pay if the shutdown continues for awhile. In the meantime they are enjoying an extended holiday break