Driver shortage

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
same results: economy and cost of living increases....

doesn't matter pat them 100,000$ a year...CSA will still boot them to the curb....

Look at that new ad here for driver/ O/O's.....we run paper logs?....really?....why stress that point....because of the opportunity to run illegal.....that is the only valid point....

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
My some what limited view, is that if there where a shortage of drivers, is that wages would increase, over supply of drivers wages decrease .,

jimmy

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
only way to end this shortages is raise the pay to union wage
or maybe a nation wide let's take 3 day off and stay home
not a strike
kind of like blue flu

Reactions: pbanich

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
The big fleets like Swift, JB, USA Trucking and others have oversold their capacity out of greed and can't fill the seats. As pointed out by others here, part of the problem is driver pay. Another part is krap equipment that many companies are putting on the road. Plus, who would want to drive TT's with all the idiots in their SUV's to deal with.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: ntimevan and Ragman

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The big fleets like Swift, JB, USA Trucking and others have oversold their capacity out of greed and can't fill the seats. As pointed out by others here, part of the problem is driver pay. Another part is krap equipment that many companies are putting on the road. Plus, who would want to drive TT's with all the idiots in their SUV's to deal with.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app
And then there's the Crazy Van drivers ...

All i want is a Piece of the Pie ..

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
ELD's have made this job even worse. Forced to take "rest" breaks when you're not tired with no common sense flexibility allowed. And trucking continues to be a low paying job overall no matter how much BS you read about companies increasing pay. Who in their right mind would choose to get into this line of work anymore? If I were young all over again I wouldn't.

Reactions: guido4475

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The funny thing to me is how dramatically elds have affected people.
It isn’t the ELD.
It’s the rules.
You still have the 11/14/70.
That’s the issue. Running legal is hard. Always was, for those of us that did it.

I went out for a few weeks with a student.
Parking sucks. The 30 minute break sucked.
The 11/14 was OK because the rates were good.

As the HR man from Watkins told me, the future is Teams.
Teams aren’t affected AS MUCH by these issues.

Reactions: guido4475

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It’s the rates.
I’ve been blessed by usually being at the high end of the rate structure.
I never needed more than 10 hrs driving or 14 on duty as I always made my needed income in less than that time.
Do you really want to truck more hours or do you NEED to truck more hours ?
It’s illogical to want to work more, and those in power don’t understand the rates/income ratio.
Also, not thier problem.
They play golf with Chuck Werner, see him leave the club in his Maserati, and think there’s money in trucking.

As a side note, Werner brags they invented electronic logs.
The sign on their trls should read, We we’re so stupid, so greedy, got caught so much , that we CAUSED electronic logs.

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My prediction is that the driver shortage will correct itself when the bubble burst 1st quarter of 2019.

And before someone complains, I HOPE I’m wrong......

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums