There is NO DRIVER SHORTAGE

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I believe this that there is NO driver shortage there is a shortage of driver pay and finally I think the companies are going to have to wake up - they either need to take a smaller cut of what they charge customers are the rate needs to go up. Here is a good article

New York Times

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Lets use some different words. There isnt a shortage of steering wheel holders but there is a shortage of good competent drivers, a tleast for fleet owners. We are quite thankful for the three we have !!!!!!

Reactions: yzman720 and AnneM

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
All kinds of "steering wheel" holders out there. That is why we generally look for already seasoned folks. Sometimes it is cheaper to park the truck and wait.
With that said, freight is competitive. Many companies would rather have a revolving door than try to keep their existing drivers. Until the "bean counters" tell them something else, that is what they are going to do. Even now, most are cutting rates or play the "how many extra fees can we charge and get away with it. Fees through pay and fuel cards, advances, insurance programs that are real or imagined and the list goes on. They will keep doing it until they can't.
I am always amazed at how much is spent on recruiting yet so little on retention. Baffles the mind.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
All kinds of "steering wheel" holders out there. That is why we generally look for already seasoned folks. Sometimes it is cheaper to park the truck and wait.
With that said, freight is competitive. Many companies would rather have a revolving door than try to keep their existing drivers. Until the "bean counters" tell them something else, that is what they are going to do. Even now, most are cutting rates or play the "how many extra fees can we charge and get away with it. Fees through pay and fuel cards, advances, insurance programs that are real or imagined and the list goes on. They will keep doing it until they can't.
I am always amazed at how much is spent on recruiting yet so little on retention. Baffles the mind.
The KID IS HOT TO NIGHT SO HOT TONIGHT. YOU GO DAVE!!!!. NOW TEAM RUN SMART POST THEY BE FEELING IT. REALY !!!!!!!! NOW COMPANIES WHAT YA GOING TO DO WHEN EXPEDITEMANNIA RUN WILD ON YOU!!! THANKS DAVID THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Last edited:

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I believe this that there is NO driver shortage there is a shortage of driver pay and finally I think the companies are going to have to wake up - they either need to take a smaller cut of what they charge customers are the rate needs to go up. Here is a good article

New York Times
There IS a shortage of quality experienced drivers. The article quoted is not relevant since the facts come from the mainstream media and trucking companies. I saw no mention of the expedite industry, and the last time I looked, this is an expedite forum.

We all know the tough parts of expedite. Slow freight at times and the related idle time between loads. Drivers only make money when loaded and bargain basement rates only aggravate the situation. A lot of drivers bail after the first slow period. The ones that stay, have experience in the industry knowing that one bad week does not mean a bad month.

Like Dave said, retention is key but carriers feel that keeping the grist mill of orientation turning is their best and cheapest option.

My two pennies.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There has been a trend over the past two decades, at least, towards retaining more money at the top, and passing as little as possible down to those below. Workers are no longer respected, for they are easily replaced, and those who include ethical considerations in their calculations are in the minority.
At some point, the pendulum will swing back, but that's cold comfort for those who have to either work more, [if there is more work] or fall behind. It's pretty scary, IMO.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There IS a shortage of quality experienced drivers. The article quoted is not relevant since the facts come from the mainstream media and trucking companies. I saw no mention of the expedite industry, and the last time I looked, this is an expedite forum.

We all know the tough parts of expedite. Slow freight at times and the related idle time between loads. Drivers only make money when loaded and bargain basement rates only aggravate the situation. A lot of drivers bail after the first slow period. The ones that stay, have experience in the industry knowing that one bad week does not mean a bad month.

Like Dave said, retention is key but carriers feel that keeping the grist mill of orientation turning is their best and cheapest option.

My two pennies.
Agreed we got Greenhorns. Yup add the grist mill of orientation to the equation, I've seen enough as Charles once said take this Hockey Puck back to the Kitchen and get me a Real Roll one that's soft. In other words show me the good stuff or forget it.

Last edited:

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
According to JJOGGER in the Fedex Forum, after being forced on flat rate, he is down .21 per mile. With an average of 120,000 miles per year, that is $25,200.00...that's $25,200.00 less pay for the same work.

Of course it could be set up where each truck could pay the company $25,200.00 and remain on %. That times about 1,000 trucks comes out to $25,200,000.00 less to the contractors.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It appears that many companies fleets are shrinking. In order to maintain the same level of income, they pull the difference from their contractors. Using Bubblehead's example, that is a significant decrease in revenue. That isn't to pick on the Fed, but it does show where they are going with their business model. The Cat is no different. New programs through fees in order to collect more revenue. The largest of course is going to a flat rate FSC program. Granted it may be a reduction of 2 to 3 cents per mile, but that does add up. Reformulating it at 10 mpg for a straight is also that same type of game playing. It isn't like they charge the customer less.
Ultimately what happens over the long term with all of this is they continue to shrink their fleet and create more competition as fleet owners leave and convert to small carriers. The carriers hope is that the smaller outfits will haul cheaper than they pay their own. One of those, just follow the money.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been hearing of a driver shortage my entire professional driving career. I believed it to be hype from trucking companies, shippers, unions, driving schools, the Broccoli Growers Association and the railroads; to get more drivers in the pipeline and keep wages low and union ranks full. For the most part it was all crap. I have recently begun to believe there might finally be a driver shortage.

Reading articles likes this FHP names truck driver who hit school bus | Latest News - Home show that some trucking companies are so desperate for drivers that they will hire a driver like Mr. Ford with a record that includes: license was suspended in 2011 when his insurance was canceled, then suspended again in 2013 for failure to pay a fine. Five driving violations since 2007, two for driving with a suspended license, two for speeding, one for operating a motor vehicle in unsafe condition and once for a tag violation. Ford also has numerous arrests in Putnam County, including grand theft, domestic battery, burglary, theft, trespassing and, most recently, for shoplifting.

These same companies that hire the likes of Mr. Ford can't hire a 20 year safe driving professional because of a high BMI. Pardon my Swedish, but is this a screwed up system or what!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
. . . Pardon my Swedish, but is this a fücked up system or what!
Sounds like perfect english to me.
Professor-professor-teacher-education-smiley-emoticon-001091-facebook.gif

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Drivers that say they've lived in 4+ states make good drivers because they always have a home on the road. Drivers that like to take pictures make good drivers. Drivers that have a passion for the road make good drivers. But the key word is longevity and dedication trust and honesty are a few more.
The finding process and the first couple months (trial period) can be the scariest part... but like davekc says park the truck or go with the seasoned folks. :)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I was once told that a owner & operator, will change company's every time he feel's he is being cheated. the same for a company driver to. what some people don't know every time you change it is going to cost you few dollars before you learn system of what ever company you are working for. you will never get that loss income back. so if companies would give a fair and balance pay system, drivers would stay longer. I was with Roberts Express, Fedexcc 11 years , until I found , EGL, CEVA , was there 13 3/4 years. retired from there. running local was a lot nice and home every night. learn system. be solution to problem and not problem. say no to cheap freight. don't sale your self cheap.

Reactions: davekc

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Reactions: RoadTime

coastline

Expert Expediter
This industry seems to be heading in the same direction as for-hire passenger service over the past 20 years. Lot's of steering wheel holders undercutting rates from legitimate licensed & commercially insured providers and insurance companies paying for NEMT (non-emergency medical transportation) don't seem to care if the driver and/or company is legally fit as for-hire. All they seem to care is what your lowest rate is and don't want to pay for deadhead to pick up the passenger.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
This industry seems to be heading in the same direction as for-hire passenger service over the past 20 years. Lot's of steering wheel holders undercutting rates from legitimate licensed & commercially insured providers and insurance companies paying for NEMT (non-emergency medical transportation) don't seem to care if the driver and/or company is legally fit as for-hire. All they seem to care is what your lowest rate is and don't want to pay for deadhead to pick up the passenger.
Used to be, in a different life, I spent 35 years selling machine shop supplies. You developed a relationship and your customer relied on you. Then the market changed and everything became a commodity that sold only through competitive pricing, followed by bidding the bottom out if the market. We are rapidly moving into (and thru) the commodity stage, drivers (no shortage in our field) and vans (Sprinters) are a commodity flooding the market and bidding will continue to the bottom. Nothing will stop it. Some will adapt, some won't.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app