Big Truck Mickey Mouse and Driver Shortages

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I wouldn't think so, since Mickey Mouse is a proper noun. :turtle:

OMG, I just found another Mickey. I can find...
of them.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are six Mickey's visible in that picture
6---- wow! I still can only find 3.

confused-shrug-smiley-emoticon.gif

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I talked to OOIDA about the so called "Driver Shortage" and this is what I learned

New each year- 486180 or 40515 new CDL's issued each month for interstate commerce

I have attached a PDF from FMCSA that is highlighted in yellow that they are very aware of how many new CDL's are issued each month...

The issue is not getting drivers it is keeping drivers once they enter the industry.

Maybe part is comfort but in my experience a huge part is not treating the driver like a machine or robot. When we entered the truck load carrier side of trucking with Bob a driver it has to be the rudest awakening I ever have had in my life. I had no idea people could be treated so horribly not only by the carrier they drove for but by gate guards, shippers and receivers, and other motorists.

As a driver in forced dispatch basically the job was to drive when told to day or night depending on you getting your mandatory rest break. This meant that you might unload first thing in the morning, sit all day waiting for load, go to bed, sit another day waiting for a load, get a load and drive all night. You have had your mandatory rest and with forced dispatch you better figure out how you can stay awake all night and drive.

Some are able to figure out forced dispatch and make it work very well for them we were not of that group and before long trucking lost its appeal and we left the industry. Not long after that we started figuring out how to get back into trucking more on our terms and we found expediting.

Until companies figure out how to shut the drain and keep the drivers they have there will always be a so called driver shortage.

As one of our fellow Team Run Smart Pro's Jeff Clark likes to say:
I went into a Cadillac dealership to buy a car and I made an offer to the salesman. The salesman said we cannot sell that car for that price. The buyer then leaves shaking his head and saying "There must be a shortage of Cadillacs as I cannot buy one."

Attachments

• FMCSA ICR Commercial Driver Testing.pdf
    139.3 KB · Views: 4

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
These are two that are up in the corners

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Responding to the driver shortage, I can say that most new drivers, and a lot of seasoned drivers, delve into a situation/company they could avoid with a little due diligence. At another site, I don't know how many people I've read ask about a company after they're already at orientation. We see that here, with people complaining about All Types.

If people would find the right company FOR THEM, the first time around, the retention would be a lot better. The company I'm at has around 25% turnover, and has many 10 and 20 year drivers. They trained me with only a cdl, not having driven a big rig for 20 years. I have enough time to deliver, and drive only during the day, yet still get an avg of 2500 miles a week. Sure, my pay could be more, but I wouldn't give up what I have for a couple pennies a mile.

This was a far cry from the JBHunt I joined 20 years ago. I saw a commercial, called them up, went to training. People have no excuse now. They have the internet, and many, many people at trucking sites, willing to steer them clear of making a bad decision. But, as we all know, newbies know better... or don't.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Responding to the driver shortage, I can say that most new drivers, and a lot of seasoned drivers, delve into a situation/company they could avoid with a little due diligence. At another site, I don't know how many people I've read ask about a company after they're already at orientation. We see that here, with people complaining about All Types.

If people would find the right company FOR THEM, the first time around, the retention would be a lot better. The company I'm at has around 25% turnover, and has many 10 and 20 year drivers. They trained me with only a cdl, not having driven a big rig for 20 years. I have enough time to deliver, and drive only during the day, yet still get an avg of 2500 miles a week. Sure, my pay could be more, but I wouldn't give up what I have for a couple pennies a mile.

This was a far cry from the JBHunt I joined 20 years ago. I saw a commercial, called them up, went to training. People have no excuse now. They have the internet, and many, many people at trucking sites, willing to steer them clear of making a bad decision. But, as we all know, newbies know better... or don't.
Doing my research to find out which carrier is best for me is the exact boat I'm in now. I have the experience of driving my cargo for past 2 years but zero in a truck. So far the companies that have offered the stuff I'm personally interested in are maverick and averrit. But when people go to the big box carriers that hire anyone of course a lot of those folks know nothing about the industry and don't necessarily have the best work history. So some of the negative stuff you hire is from those that didn't do what they should have and like you said find the company that offers what you want. I do know that here even in central Kentucky there's plenty of ads for CDL class A jobs just nobody wants to go otr for a month at a time

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You shouldn't have to go OTR for a month at a time if you live anywhere in the eastern half of the US. Daresay anyone in the western half shouldn't have to either. It's not that difficult to find a job in trucking that gets you home weekly. Now if you choose to stay out that us one thing but working at one of these large uncaring companies stuck in their old ways from the 70's & 80's is another thing altogether.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
You shouldn't have to go OTR for a month at a time if you live anywhere in the eastern half of the US. Daresay anyone in the western half shouldn't have to either. It's not that difficult to find a job in trucking that gets you home weekly. Now if you choose to stay out that us one thing but working at one of these large uncaring companies stuck in their old ways from the 70's & 80's is another thing altogether.
Exactly! Why do companies think 4 days a month is "great" home time? I realize some folks out there like and want that but not me or honestly most of the guys in my school. I wouldn't mind regional stay out Sunday night/Monday morning thru Friday afternoon but I don't want 90 days on 5 days off

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exactly! Why do companies think 4 days a month is "great" home time? I realize some folks out there like and want that but not me or honestly most of the guys in my school. I wouldn't mind regional stay out Sunday night/Monday morning thru Friday afternoon but I don't want 90 days on 5 days off

I was wondering if that whole work 7 days to get 1 off was still the norm for most OTR drivers (which is total BS imo) Want happier OTR drivers, work 7 to bank 2. I could even go for that.

When I was doing dedicated Canadian for JB Hunt. I got to be home every week back in the 90's for exactly 24hrs which started as soon as I dropped my trailer at the terminal. Talk about a fast 24hrs zoom zoom. No quality home time doing that for sure. Especially with 3 hrs of commute driving. Enough time to do laundry, say hi and bye.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I've been reading on the different trucker forums out there here recently and from what I've gathered is the regional drivers come the closest to the 5-7 days out 1-3 days home. Most get home Friday night or Saturday morning leave Sunday night or Monday morning. That doesn't sound too bad and I personally would be okay if it was 7 days on 2 days off not caring about the exact day of the week if you guaranteed me the 2 days

Reactions: RoadTime