The Trump Card...

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Happy New Year?

Saw my first impeach Trump commercial last night on TV.
Must say I was rather shocked to see it. Reminded me of the crap campain adds you see before a election

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank goodness the corporate tax rate dropped to 21% so that next year the executives won't have to take such a shabby payout
A few years ago Medtronic Inc., a large medical device company moved their corporate headquarters from Minnesota to Ireland to benefit from lower corporate taxes. Which is better for this country; to have large corporations pay a 21% rate or move overseas and pay nothing?

Reactions: davekc and Turtle

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank goodness the corporate tax rate dropped to 21% so that next year the executives won't have to take such a shabby payout
A few years ago Medtronic Inc., a large medical device company moved their corporate headquarters from Minnesota to Ireland to benefit from lower corporate taxes. Which is better for this country; to have large corporations pay a 21% rate or move overseas and pay nothing?

Even at 21% if it's still cheaper to do business elsewhere, won't companies go there?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Even at 21% if it's still cheaper to do business elsewhere, won't companies go there?

Anything in the new legislation preventing companies from taking that tax saving & investing it in oversees infrastructure?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I don't think my post addressed that issue. It was more about the benefits of tax savings staying with management and investors and not benefiting workers.

But, since you mentioned it and Griz echoed, this isn't WWII where American companies we're all in singing God Bless America. This is a global corporate economy that knows no flag. They will put the money where they get the biggest return on investment. Other countries cut the tax rate to lure investment. Now we cut ours in hopes of bringing the money back. The other countries won't sit by and let that happen, they will add to their incentives to keep companies there. There will be a couple of wins for USA but nothing to offset the debt we added to make a little splash. I m h o

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: billg27

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I don't think my post addressed that issue. It was more about the benefits of tax savings staying with management and investors and not benefiting workers.

But, since you mentioned it and Griz echoed, this isn't WWII where American companies we're all in singing God Bless America. This is a global corporate economy that knows no flag. They will put the money where they get the biggest return on investment. Other countries cut the tax rate to lure investment. Now we cut ours in hopes of bringing the money back. The other countries won't sit by and let that happen, they will add to their incentives to keep companies there. There will be a couple of wins for USA but nothing to offset the debt we added to make a little splash. I m h o

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app
That is what competition is all about. Taxes are part of it, but not nearly all of it. I think it positions us fairly well against other countries which is a good thing.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Left and the Press (redundant, I know) are giggity over this new book. They're all-in on this mental fitness angle. It's kind of funny, how they all try to get in the same phrasing and language. It's like they all got the same coordinated memo.

But, when the NYT's Maggie Haberman says the book is little more than hardbound toilet paper, you know there is little in the way of accuracy in it.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The Left and the Press (redundant, I know) are giggity over this new book. They're all-in on this mental fitness angle. It's kind of funny, how they all try to get in the same phrasing and language. It's like they all got the same coordinated memo.

But, when the NYT's Maggie Haberman says the book is little more than hardbound toilet paper, you know there is little in the way of accuracy in it.

I think it's called "parroting". Which says quite a few things about them.
None positive however.

As Voltaire once said:
No snowflake in an avalanche, ever feels responsible.

Course 1 positive in hard bound "tp" is it might be handy for traveling.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
More layoffs at Indiana factory Trump made deal to keep open
Amanda Becker
INDIANAPOLIS (Reuters) - More than 200 workers clocked in for their final shifts on Thursday at Carrier Corp. in Indianapolis in the latest round of layoffs at a plant President Donald Trump toured in December 2016 to trumpet a deal to save jobs and prevent its closure.
Carrier said this week that 1,100 workers will remain at the factory, upholding its deal with Trump. They include 730 manufacturing jobs and about 300 engineering and administrative positions that were never slated to move.

But Carrier also laid off 338 manufacturing workers in July and another 215 this week. Those jobs are going to the company’s plant in Monterrey, Mexico, where workers make about $3 an hour, according to Indiana union officials.

United Technologies Electronic Controls, another United Technologies facility two hours away in Huntington, Indiana, is closing in 2018, also sending its operations to Monterrey.

About 400 workers were laid off in 2017 and another 230 will be this year, a company spokeswoman said.

Rexnord Corp., just down the road from Carrier, closed in November, laying off 300 workers represented by the same local steelworkers union as the Carrier employees.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
The President's choice of wording was not the best I must say...like cheap street talk and the junk one hears in a truck stop / I guessing stress is a biggie in the W.H.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
How in the world anybody can support this is beyond me....!

Trump cites ':censoredsign:hole countries' as he rejects bipartisan deal - CNNPolitics
You didn't really define "this" very well. Are you asking how anybody can support what Minority Whippy Dicky Durbin wants to do to give preferential immigration treatment to give large groups of people with no discernible skills or education, from countries with no societal industrial or educational base, where poverty and crime is baked in as a way of life, and where people from those countries as a rule detract from, rather than add to, the economy, culture and way of life in the USA? If that's what you're asking, then I really don't know how any can support such a crappy idea.

By "this" do you mean the article itself? If so, then it's just a matter of a lot of people will support that, because it's from CNN, and they think CNN is an honest broker of the news.

By "this" do you mean Trump using harsh language to describe countries where the populations offer little in the way of benefit to this country? If that's what you mean, then I think lots and lots of people can support that, because it's real, honest language.

Reactions: muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
But CNN went to their default position on Trump that he is being racist.
Which was CNN more outraged over?
Trump and his sh**hole countries comment, or
Nancy Pelosi and her blatantly racist Five White Guys comment?

It's a rhetorical question. :cool:

Reactions: muttly