Which Expediter Will Be the First to Use Driver Cams?

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
If I were a driver I would be quite tempted to wear a mask while operating a truck equipped with such a device - preferably something like Bozo the Clown.

I do see the benefits of FORWARD facing cams to documents what happens on the road while the truck is being operated.

Reactions: TDave

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Forward facing cams-- OK. I would PAY to have blind-spot cameras and a dash-mounted viewer installed if I find one that fits. Driver facing cameras??? Only if I OWN IT AND CONTROL IT. Even then, I can think of a dozen reasons why that is a really bad idea.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
As for the control issue. It's not a control issue. The camera would be in place for safety reasons. You could say the same thing about the Qual Com if you wanted. The contractor has to be safe and healthy within the guidelines set in place by DOT regulations. A camera would be put in place in the event of an accident.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Nobody is saying driver-facing cameras are needed because truck drivers are trained professionals who are a joy to watch and an example for all motorists to follow. Camera promoters want driver-facing cameras because they consider drivers to be bad, inattentive, untrustworthy, in need of increased accountability, in need or increased supervision, etc.

This is just one more instance where drivers are seen as the problem and technology is seen as the cure.

There is no such thing as a perfect driver. Every motorist on the road is subject to attention lapses and human mistakes. It is interesting that most of the talk about improving safety is about technology and little of it is about providing more training before someone gets a CDL and continuing education forever.

Most if not all professions have higher barriers to entry than trucking does. Most professions have continuing education requirements that the professionals must fulfill to keep their licenses current. If the trucking industry elevated itself to a more professional level and way of being, drivers might be seen in a more professional light by safety advocates and the general public. They might be seen less as the problem and more as the solution.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's about monitoring, managing and modifying the behavior of drivers. It doesn't get to be more about control than that.
What the camera will prove....LOL
11403375_916576258380863_7641755161624904166_n.jpg

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Can't argue with Phil's premise, but it is all about the dollar. Training of any form is more expensive than the camera.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
When doing research on t/t companies to work for, the first ones scratched off my list were the ones that instituted driver-facing cameras. It does no benefit to the driver. As was said, any look away/yawn/reach can be held against you, as if you had admitted to the crime yourself. Cheri was right, in that they could find out what you were doing without the camera. The camera just makes a lazy investigator happy.

If, by chance, they ever became mandatory, I'd be looking for a new career. I'm about tired of being treated like a robot, programmed by the government.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Of course, it does serve to keep the conversation focused on what the drivers are doing, instead of what could be done to address the actual causes of most accidents: the ignorance of 4 wheel drivers. I mean that literally, as most simply don't know - others just don't care, because they don't want to be behind a truck.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When doing research on t/t companies to work for, the first ones scratched off my list were the ones that instituted driver-facing cameras. It does no benefit to the driver. As was said, any look away/yawn/reach can be held against you, as if you had admitted to the crime yourself. Cheri was right, in that they could find out what you were doing without the camera. The camera just makes a lazy investigator happy.

If, by chance, they ever became mandatory, I'd be looking for a new career. I'm about tired of being treated like a robot, programmed by the government.
There would be no need for cameras like this if we as a society would admit when we make mistakes and accept the consequences. But we are not like that, never admit fault they say.

I wouldn't need a camera facing me, if I was wrong I would be the first to tell everyone that I was wrong.

But a camera facing out the windshield, that is needed to catch all the morons out there. Especially here in Florida, home of the worst drivers in the country, by far.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
There would be no need for cameras like this if we as a society would admit when we make mistakes and accept the consequences. But we are not like that, never admit fault they say.

I wouldn't need a camera facing me, if I was wrong I would be the first to tell everyone that I was wrong.

But a camera facing out the windshield, that is needed to catch all the morons out there. Especially here in Florida, home of the worst drivers in the country, by far.

"Yes, your honor, I fell asleep at the wheel, and ran over that bus full of gambling old ladies." You've just handed them your arse on a silver platter, and effectively ended your life. At least make the DA do his job, and make your lawyer do his. The truth will set you free? In this case, it gets you 20 to life.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"Yes, your honor, I fell asleep at the wheel, and ran over that bus full of gambling old ladies." You've just handed them your arse on a silver platter, and effectively ended your life. At least make the DA do his job, and make your lawyer do his. The truth will set you free? In this case, it gets you 20 to life.
And if I screwed up and did something like that I would deserve that punishment.

Deny it till the end, that attitude is a perfect example of what is wrong with our society.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Phil - I agree it is a ploy by money hungry camera manufacturers that hate the trucking industry. The next response was the probably the most polite way of promoting "being professional" to drivers that I have ever heard - well said. Perception is everything. I've been trying to get that message across for years.

Dave Mayfield - that response was that of a true safety professional and fleet owner. Nice work!

Ken (VanMan) - I love the scientific proof. Please join our TEANA Legislative Committee because we will be needing to gather some scientific research soon to present to politicians attempting to revise the Hours of Service Regulations, CSA and the Safety Fitness Determination ruling. You could research the "van" (under 10,000 pounds GVW) side of the industry. You know the government will be regulating that part of the industry next.

Turtle - honestly do you think that drivers are going to let anyone "monitoring, manage and modify their behavior?" Drivers are usually tougher than a turtle's shell. Not gonna happen.

Cheri - I agree. And the simple solution to decreasing and eliminating highway deaths is not to keep hammering the professional drivers and trucking companies who honestly do really try to be safe - it's holding the general public responsible and accountable for their actions. Imagine that, someone being responsible and being held accountable for stupid or careless things they do. That sounds like the old days to me.

Coalminer - I truly believe in stepping up to the plate and admitting guilt when I've made a mistake. Any person becomes a better person when they do, and move forward vowing to not make that mistake again. It's really easier to deal with than lying.

Thanks to each of you for everything you do. Though a couple of you don't drive anymore, I know you did at one time or another. I can't do, and most of the 4 wheeling public can't do, what you do or did - being professional drivers.

Thanks,

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
And if I screwed up and did something like that I would deserve that punishment.

Deny it till the end, that attitude is a perfect example of what is wrong with our society.

That comes from prosecutors trying to get a promotion, judges trying to get reelected, and juries that can't see past the end of their noses. Thanx, but I put my trust in whitewashing. Not saying deny it til the end; just play the game - yes, the justice system is a game - until the DA gives a little.

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
As long as it's just the drivers seat I can see why.
It would probably tell the truth in a lot of accidents.
I saw a horrible accident yesterday, caused by a "professional " driver going way beyond the 55mph speed limit. So far 6 dead.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As long as it's just the drivers seat I can see why.
It would probably tell the truth in a lot of accidents.
I saw a horrible accident yesterday, caused by a "professional " driver going way beyond the 55mph speed limit. So far 6 dead.

Don't need a camera for that. Speed can be taken right off the ECM. As a secondary verification on something like that, a investigation usually can determine vehicle speeds based on numerous factors.

Reactions: cheri1122

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK. Earlier today I had an attack of "Mean widdle kid" and got to wondering what happens when we put a driver-cam into a driverless truck. We keep saying that robot/computer controlled vehicles are coming, probably sooner rather than later. So--- the camera sees an empty driver's seat. Who gets the benefit/blame when-- inevitably-- one of these driverless vehicles gets into a bad accident?

OK---- now what? (Heh heh heh.)

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
But can the ECM tell if the driver is texting?
Eating something that requires two hand or maybe looking at a map book.