Which Expediter Will Be the First to Use Driver Cams?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You sound like a pro-spyguy camera troll.

You can come up with all the reasons in the world why having one of these intrusive things in my truck, pointed at me, is for my own good--- it's still an intrusive nanny-cam. The more you talk it up, the less I want Big Brother in my cab.

But-- if you're dead-set on having one in YOUR truck don't let me stop you. It's your truck, live the way you want to live in there.

Reactions: cheri1122

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
You sound like a pro-spyguy camera troll.

You can come up with all the reasons in the world why having one of these intrusive things in my truck, pointed at me, is for my own good--- it's still an intrusive nanny-cam. The more you talk it up, the less I want Big Brother in my cab.

But-- if you're dead-set on having one in YOUR truck don't let me stop you. It's your truck, live the way you want to live in there.

Nope not pro at all. Just looking at it from both sides. As someone said, there will be the drivers that shouldn't have a CDL and find ways to get around the camera if installed in his or hers vehicle.
I like having one facing my forward view just in case I have an accident.
I've been driving for over 10 yrs. Before that I flew a plane and Captained a yacht. I've seen a lot of stub I'd mistakes made by so called "professionals" and of course non. Our modern technology can hurt or help us. The choice is up to the individual on which way they use it.
And where did you get the idea in the first place that YOU could stop ME. LOL

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
All the more reason that I would oppose driver facing cameras. She is listing all the reasons they might be used against you verses a benefit to the driver. Keep in mind, the very people that are looking at a recording, are probably the least qualified to look at it. So who is looking at it? The very people who will use it against you. Police, lawyers, high school dispatchers, unqualified office personnel you name it. The closest many ever get to a truck is the possibility of leaning on it in a parking lot. Just too much exposure for a driver.

Reactions: Deville

quadflyer1

Active Expediter
All the more reason that I would oppose driver facing cameras. She is listing all the reasons they might be used against you verses a benefit to the driver. Keep in mind, the very people that are looking at a recording, are probably the least qualified to look at it. So who is looking at it? The very people who will use it against you. Police, lawyers, high school dispatchers, unqualified office personnel you name it. The closest many ever get to a truck is the possibility of leaning on it in a parking lot. Just too much exposure for a driver.
Actually they could be all the ways it would help you. Only 25% of accidents are caused by commercial drivers. The other 75%+/- are your everyday 4 wheelers. The top of the list is while merging into traffic .
I'm learning as I go here. Looking up stats instead of emotionally putting out information from the top.
The camera on me, wouldn't have it. But these big companies, SWIFT, WERNER that are putting a driver with maybe 8 weeks of actual OTR training in their equipment under their insurance, I can see why. They are the ones I see tailgating, speeding and many times flipped on their side. These companies along with many others have the big bucks to lose from being sued.
Hence "NANNY-CAM IN A TRUCK" might be a good time to get on the bottom floor and invest if your into that.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A real quick repeat of stuff I've posted in the past on this thread:
I have no-not-any problem with a camera that sees out through the windshield. I could really use some decent blind-spot cameras and the screens to go with them. Absolutely the only camera I have a major problem with is the one facing me as I'm driving--- and even this has a caveat. If it's MY camera and I control the thing, using it for MY purposes--- perhaps I decide to make a You-Tube vlog-- I might do it. If it's a company or worse yet a government camera--- we have a major problem. I'm not at all sure how much I trust ANY company not to horn in on my personal space--- and I don't trust the government even a little bit. Give them an inch, next thing you know they own your life and you're tap-dancing to Big Brother's tune. We sometimes get dangerously close to that as it is.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I could see possibly employees with minimal training. The parameters for a actual employee are much different than a independent contractor. Just a hypothetical, what happens if a driver sneezes or yawns? Shut the truck down, go get a physical, and since you yawned, you are now on the sidelines because you now have to do testing for sleep apnea. Of course, all on your dime while you aren't working. Could easily see this as a profit center for some carriers. Yep, still a no. Ever wonder why the airlines don't use them?

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I could see possibly employees with minimal training. The parameters for a actual employee are much different than a independent contractor. Just a hypothetical, what happens if a driver sneezes or yawns? Shut the truck down, go get a physical, and since you yawned, you are now on the sidelines because you now have to do testing for sleep apnea. Of course, all on your dime while you aren't working. Could easily see this as a profit center for some carriers. Yep, still a no. Ever wonder why the airlines don't use them?

Maybe used during a new employees probationary period? Would find out what kind of driver they are in the first 30 days. You could find out real quick what their driving style is, relaxed or aggressive. But then again a data recorder could probably tell you that also.

Reactions: davekc

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Really amazing, that in all the distractions the FMCSA listed, they somehow missed the single one I face most often: looking for an address/building/sign, while driving in city traffic.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I still wonder why they thought putting time clocks in trucks was a good idea, after the "20 minutes or it's free" debacle proved what a bad idea it is to force drivers to beat the clock!

dalejrroks

Active Expediter
Has everyone forgotten about the Constitution and the 4th Amendment. The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated. When I am out on the road in my truck that is my home and my property and I expect it to be treated as such. To be required to put in a camera that faces inside of the truck in any direction is a violation of that privacy and will not be tolerated by me and I suspect many others. That being said an employee does not have the same right to privacy being they are operating a company owned device be it a computer at dispatch or a truck. I am happy that I have a fleet owner (thanks dave) that supports my view of this and would be pulling the truck from any company that tried to require it. If the government ever made it a requirement for commercial trucks then sorry to say my driving days would be over. As it has been stated there are to many other ways to figure out what went wrong in the case of an accident to justify the need for a camera facing me. It was stated before how we have become a society that denies blame and does not admit to our mistakes when we make them. 99% of the time that is true and yes the honorable thing to do is own up to it but I think is not just the type of society we have but human nature to remove ourselves from danger that propels that as well. In the end it will all come down to a personal choice and your own beliefs. If you feel the way I do about this it wont happen in your truck or you will leave the company that installs them. If you feel differently then you will allow the camera to be installed or stay with the company you are driving for. Again it all comes down to your choice.

Last edited: