Modern Life In Appalachia

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You're the one who made the public insinuation in this thread about an unrelated post I supposedly made and didn't explain, so it would seem logical that a public clarification would be in order - especially since you and your little friend are having a public conversation about an inaccurate post I may or may not have made. In the meantime I'll continue to wait for my serving of crow, either in the open or by PM if you prefer.
You asked to have your memory refreshed, and did so in the same sentence where you noted that it would be off-topic in this thread. RLENT posted, and the removed, not just a refresher, but a rather lengthy post that most definitely took this thread to a whole 'nuther destination. My suggestion was to post a simple link (which would have been in public, logically) or for him so send you a PM containing the link, or his entire post for that matter. The point of this is not to have you eat crow, but to refresh your memory so that you can discuss it further if you so choose. Having someone eat crow is almost never conducive to earnest and intelligent discourse. In any case, if further discussion should ensue, it should probably be done in a new thread, I think.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is no valid scientific evidence that following a vow of chastity causes men to become pedophiles. It is unnatural, and difficult, which is why it is called "making a sacrifice". It is ONLY a tradition, and someday, like all traditions, it too will change.
You're probably right about the celibacy thing. According to this article it seems to debunk it. The article also explains the vast majority of the church child abuse is done by homosexual men to young boys. In the general public the vast majority of pedophile cases involve heterosexual men and young girls. It is incorrect for some to say that the priests that are abusing boys aren't homosexuals. Not saying there is zero cases of heterosexual men abusing young boys in the Catholic Church, but it would be extremely rare.
9 Myths about Priestly Pedophilia

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Turtle.... after consulting with Dale, I have decided to place you on "IGNORE." This will avoid disagreements and communication between us. Rlent is going on "IGNORE" as well. I wish both of you good fortune, good health and goodbye.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Turtle.... after consulting with Dale, I have decided to place you on "IGNORE."
LOL ... you actually found it necessary to consult with someone in order to determine the advisability of placing someone on ignore ?

This will avoid disagreements and communication between us.
Well, for some, "avoidance" is clearly a mechanism to be embraced ...

It's certainly quite understandable ... particularly in the context of someone being either unable - or just simply unwilling - to respond to the substance of certain issues which get raised in the course of a discussion or debate.

Rlent is going on "IGNORE" as well.
I'm simply ... crushed ...

I guess that means I'll get to comment on and critique what you write without you responding to it ...

Is there supposed to be some sort of a downside (for me) to this ?

I wish both of you good fortune, good health and goodbye.
Somehow I rather doubt it ...

What is particularly hilarious here is that you found it necessary to make a public announcement regarding this ... when it just as easily could have been accomplished with a PM ...

Of course, the truth of the matter is, ignoring either one of us required no announcement whatsoever on your part - either public or private.

It simply required just doing it ... something which appears to be a rather difficult proposition ... given the fact that rather than just doing it, you chose to talk about it instead.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sometimes putting someone on "ignore" can be self cleansing. For years I have put myself on "ignore" every Saturday and Sunday and look at me now. :cool:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
RLENT posted, and the removed, not just a refresher, but a rather lengthy post that most definitely took this thread to a whole 'nuther destination. My suggestion was to post a simple link (which would have been in public, logically) or for him so send you a PM containing the link, or his entire post for that matter.
OK, that tells me about all I need to know about the substance of this deal - or lack thereof.

In any case, if further discussion should ensue, it should probably be done in a new thread, I think.
Agreed

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sometimes putting someone on "ignore" can be self cleansing. For years I have put myself on "ignore" every Saturday and Sunday and look at me now. :cool:
You can't ignore yourself - you're a mod, and a senior one at that.:)

Jamin_Joe

Seasoned Expediter

How do you put yourself on ignore, at times I drive myself crazy when I cant stop thinking about things that are bugging me.

It would be cool to be able to put actual people on ignore, or even mute for that matter..

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
How do you put yourself on ignore, at times I drive myself crazy when I cant stop thinking about things that are bugging me.

It would be cool to be able to put actual people on ignore, or even mute for that matter..

I'm not quite sure but the wife has a way of doing it every time. After Friday I am not bothered by much until Monday.:cool:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You're probably right about the celibacy thing. According to this article it seems to debunk it. The article also explains the vast majority of the church child abuse is done by homosexual men to young boys. In the general public the vast majority of pedophile cases involve heterosexual men and young girls. It is incorrect for some to say that the priests that are abusing boys aren't homosexuals. Not saying there is zero cases of heterosexual men abusing young boys in the Catholic Church, but it would be extremely rare.
9 Myths about Priestly Pedophilia

That article was written by the Catholic Education Resource Center - you don't suppose they might have planted it as 'damage control'?
Nearly every statement is supported by "there's no evidence", which says only that it hasn't been subject to rigorous scientific study. It does NOT mean their interpretation is correct.
"Celibacy bears no causal relationship to any type of deviant sexual addiction, including pedophilia" means zip when you know the priests weren't victims of "deviant sexual addictions", they were opportunists who found minors the most convenient [but not necessarily attractive] targets for their desires. Some people choose celibacy freely, for awhile, or for life, and it causes them no problems at all - but priests didn't choose it, it was imposed upon them as a condition. If there's any rational reason for that, I've never heard it.
The author insists that very few priests are pedophiles, [an adult who is sexually attracted to children], which may well be true - but if priests are/were abusing children because that's the only outlet available, rather than genuine desire [as in gay sex in prison], what difference does that make to the victim?
The lack of support for various claims & interpretations made says it's nothing more than the Catholic Church's effort to 'spin' the story to absolve the Church of responsibility for their contributions to the abuse.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Like I stated before, in the general public,the vast majority of pedophiles are heterosexual men, and their victims are young girls. In the Catholic Church, the vast majority is homosexual men with young boys. If the priests were heterosexual pedophiles, they wouldn't be targeting little boys, That's not who they target in the vast amount of cases.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If heterosexuals can engage in homosexual relations while in prison, because it's their only outlet for sex with another person, why do you believe that priests, who are in a 'prison' of a different sort [imposed celibacy], wouldn't take advantage of whatever is available? Which is little boys, because the Church doesn't let little girls play any role that puts them in proximity to the priests...
Whatever. The Church's insistence on lifelong celibacy pretty much guarantees they are going to have trouble with any normal heterosexual men who want to be priests, because lifelong is a long, long time. If there's any rational reason for the policy, it can't be as great as the harm it causes, to the victims and the priests.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If heterosexuals can engage in homosexual relations while in prison, because it's their only outlet for sex with another person

Would they not, then, be homosexuals themselves? They might not choose to be "gay", since the culture in prison requires one to act in a hyper-macho manner for the sake of self-preservation, but just the same...

Not Welcome in New York

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Would they not, then, be homosexuals themselves? They might not choose to be "gay", since the culture in prison requires one to act in a hyper-macho manner for the sake of self-preservation, but just the same...

Not Welcome in New York

Build a hundred bridges, they call you a bridge builder...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Not Welcome in New York

No, they would not be homosexuals. Convicts and [hetero] male prostitutes engage in homosexual sex acts for reasons other than attraction. When free to choose a partner, homosexuals are not their choice.
Homosexuality is not the behavior, it's the sexual attraction to one's own gender.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
No, they would not be homosexuals. Convicts and [hetero] male prostitutes engage in homosexual sex acts for reasons other than attraction. When free to choose a partner, homosexuals are not their choice.
Homosexuality is not the behavior, it's the sexual attraction to one's own gender.

100% false. A homosexual is someone who engages in homosexual acts. Attractions & urges have nothing to do with it. Rob a bank and you're a bank robber; engage in homosexual sex and you're a homosexual. Pretty simple unless you're trying to make it otherwise.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
100% false. A homosexual is someone who engages in homosexual acts. Attractions & urges have nothing to do with it. Rob a bank and you're a bank robber; engage in homosexual sex and you're a homosexual. Pretty simple unless you're trying to make it otherwise.

There is no excuse for such ignorance - you really ought to check the actual definition of what you rant about.
By your definition, if someone held a gun to your head and forced you to engage in a homosexual act against your will, you would then be a homosexual.
I wouldn't say you deserve that, because no one does - but in light of the ugliness you have so often spewed on the subject, someone out there might think it was justice.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
There is no excuse for such ignorance - you really ought to check the actual definition of what you rant about.
By your definition, if someone held a gun to your head and forced you to engage in a homosexual act against your will, you would then be a homosexual.
I wouldn't say you deserve that, because no one does - but in light of the ugliness you have so often spewed on the subject, someone out there might think it was justice.
That's taking hair-splitting to a ridiculous level. We wouldn't say that someone who was raped was having sex, because of the force involved, the force being the common denominator here.
I've spewed no ugliness on the matter; homosexual perversion is ugly in and of itself.