Wonder how many trucks were lost to "Carb" rules Jan 1st?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Choice five: act like good little sheep and do what you are told.

Just because its the law does not make it a just law.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just the reefer. The truck is 2006, the box is 2008. I have to check to see if Ft. Wayne is doing it for 6-7, a new reefer would be closer to 20,000.

Not sure what we are going to do. All these regulations, HOS changes is making be look long and hard at the business in general.

It's not the truck age that counts, it's the motor age.

If you have a 2006 truck you could have a 2005 engine.

I see too many people mixing the two things up when it comes to the Ca rule.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
hEY mR. m.. When our centry got taken off the CA. list-we actually did better staying in the main loop. when we dropped out t-val-we actually made more money on other non t-val freight..i belong to the fruit of the month club-always getting inspected-must be the hair color. ca-did their normal creeper inspection-heard they have been starting to crack down-but rumors are rumors--P.S.
how u doin? I see you.lol

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
I have a 2004 truck and a 2005 reefer, truck just got a one year extension and is compliant until dec 31 2013, however reefer is 7 years past engine manuf. date which means it expired dec 31,2012 and is non-compliant....go figure.. frank

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Do you really need CA to make it. Seems to me if you run Ca and back to New Jersey and back again your diesel fuel and tolls and loss of time would eat you up. Why not run TX, Al,LA,TN ,KY and forget CA. More loads, fast turn around is one of the keys, I think Ca is an ego trip imho.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Do you really need CA to make it. Seems to me if you run Ca and back to New Jersey and back again your diesel fuel and tolls and loss of time would eat you up. Why not run TX, Al,LA,TN ,KY and forget CA. More loads, fast turn around is one of the keys, I think Ca is an ego trip imho.

It depends on what kind of freight you haul and what credentials you have. California is a very important market for us. When we were with FedEx Custom Critical, we had more pick ups and deliveries in California than any other state. (But we left that carrier partly because of policy changes that reduced the amount of California freight they put on our truck.) Now with Landstar, California continues to be a strong state for us. Some of our best-paying loads pick up or delvier in California. With both carriers, not only was (is) the freight itself more lucrative than other kinds of freight, many of the runs were coast-to-coast team runs, with most of the California run miles being logged in other states.

On the hypothetical run from NJ to CA and back to NJ you suggest (not an unrealistic scenario), the fuel you burn is all burned under load (no idling, minimal deadhead if any). The time you spend is all revenue-producing driving time (team in truck, straight-through run, no waiting for freight). Tolls are almost zero if you drop down to I-40 to go to Los Angeles, which was typical. If the delivery is in the Bay Area, a 70 mile addition to the route to avoid almost all of the tolls pays for itself many times over.

It is not because of a big ego that certain teams do a lot of California business, it is because of the big money. The time, money and miles from California runs cannot be easily replaced by running only in the states you describe. (Although, we have never tried to run a few months sans-California to find out for sure. It's difficult to turn down a $7,000 run in the name of an experiement.)

Also note that the California runs were not all that we did. We can have a good month by running in the other states. But California makes it sweet. You may be well on your way to a good month when a big California run comes along, giving you not only the frosting on the cake but sometimes two cakes in a week when you otherwise would have earned one.

Sadly, the increased operating expenses from CARB regs takes some of that bloom off the California money rose.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We don't think that we will miss CA. True, no 7 Grand loads, but those loads often meant sitting almost a week without a good load, if any. We have been running steady and not went any further west than TN. Fewer hassles, no chain laws and far fewer closed roads in winter.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
theres a little thing called interstate commerce that noboby is suppose to be able to impeach upon. it seems ca. has been let walk all over this without any recourse. the feds will take away road money for noncompliance with a seat belt law but will not do anything with regards to this. let alone the fact that it was done by manipulative information.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
theres a little thing called interstate commerce that noboby is suppose to be able to impeach upon. it seems ca. has been let walk all over this without any recourse. the feds will take away road money for noncompliance with a seat belt law but will not do anything with regards to this. let alone the fact that it was done by manipulative information.

Thank the "Criminal in Chief" for this one.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
cant blame you know who for this one. this one should have been brought to lite by the dot.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
We run a 2001 Century with a 2000 engine. CARB requirements are a particulate filter upgrade at this time. I picked at random one of the "recommended sources" from their website and sent an email asking for a rough price quote for the upgrade. The dealer quoted over $16K for the kit, not including installation. Tough to justify that much expenditure for even a dozen loads a month on a truck our age.

Our reefer did age out last year (it was a 2004), and even our original APU was too old. The reefer was more trouble than it was worth, since I never could qualify for TVAL with FDCC, and the APU died with a little help from a service shop that obviously didn't know what they were doing with it, so the reefer is gone and the APU was replaced. That still leaves me with a 2000 non-compliant engine, though.

CARB offers a 1-year extension of eligibility through 12/31/13, but you MUST register with the CARB system by 01/31/13 to qualify for it. If you do this, be sure and print out the certificate they offer so that you can show you are registered if you get pulled over in CA. They are checking, I'm told. Registration can be done online at arb.ca.gov/truckstop . You will need, among other pieces of information, something called the "engine family." This info should be available on one of the stickers on your engine, otherwise you'll have to call the manufacturer to get it. CARB says it takes 15 minutes to register, but that's after 4 or 5 hours of tracking down all the info and getting clarification of what exactly they want on their forms (based on experience). Call volume to their help line is heavy and they are warning of delays of up to a week for return calls to messages. If you need or want to apply for the extension, you need to get on it right away. The clock is ticking.

Getting registered lets me continue to take loads to CA for this calendar year, but after that, unless my income is up substantially after changing to Landstar, I'll be ripping several pages out of my road atlas. I can't afford to replace the truck when I'm getting the same or less than I made when I started but the new truck costs nearly double what I originally paid.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I replaced the trucks engine last year with a brand new crate motor with the same emission standards as my 2003 engine...the engine was new old stock and came complete with turbo, air compressor, ECM, everything except for the fan and pulleys and starter...paid $ 8500.00 and received $ 1k for the core.

The engine was manufactured in 2009 but that doesn't mean it's compliant with CARB.

I also registered it with CARB for the extra year then there's no more Ca. for me...I may be retired by then and will only have to worry about where the fish are biting.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I can't afford to replace the truck when I'm getting the same or less than I made when I started but the new truck costs nearly double what I originally paid.

And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen, the history of expediting in a nutshell.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I replaced the trucks engine last year with a brand new crate motor with the same emission standards as my 2003 engine...the engine was new old stock and came complete with turbo, air compressor, ECM, everything except for the fan and pulleys and starter...paid $ 8500.00 and received $ 1k for the core.

The engine was manufactured in 2009 but that doesn't mean it's compliant with CARB.

I also registered it with CARB for the extra year then there's no more Ca. for me...I may be retired by then and will only have to worry about where the fish are biting.

They are always biting around here!:D

denny2010

Expert Expediter
I cant wait to feel the fish on my pole. Been awhile... hopefully i dont rip their lips off...lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
States rights trumps federal rights??just like every other state and their little different rules ...CA is no different

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
States rights trumps federal rights??just like every other state and their little different rules ...CA is no different

There is a little thing called the Interstate commerce clause, which the Obama administration is no longer enforcing, unless it suits their needs. CA CAN control equipment on trucks domiciled in CA, but not other states. One of the primary reasons for the ICC was to help insure free trade across state lines.

This was done SOLELY because Obama KNEW he could not get his fake global warming crap through congress, so as always, he looked for a end around, and found it. Don't enforce the ICC as it has always been, allow ONE STATE to just about dictate policy to the other 48, and he gets more of his wacko agenda in and it looks like he had NOTHING to do with it.