why have threads

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
If you are talking about the person who started the thread I agree whole heartedly. If on the other hand you are saying that people should post about hamburgers in a truck thread I don't agree.

I agree there a lot of times that someone might say it is really slow and it turns into why someone spent to much time in Washington State, then someone starts to talk about how Carrier XXX does really well out of Texas but not so well out of Maine.Well at least you didn't tell us to stay the h*ll out of the thread. It should not be necessary, but you are right it's just annoying. It would be less offensive if people learned to control themselves. This is a reoccurring theme. Just because you think that means you can say and do what you want doesn't mean you should.

If they were posting a opinion, then it wouldn't be banter.

Sure is. The snippet is copied directly from the Code of Conduct for EOL.

8. Spamming is prohibited.
Spam is considered to be repetitive posting of the same topic again and again or nonsensical posts that have no
substance
and are often designed to annoy other forum users. Posts of this nature are not conducive to the community
and are unwelcome.
- Posting an identical topic in more than one forum is considered spam. - Sending any commercial
message via the private message (PM) feature of the forum will also be considered as spamming.

I'm not even going to try and break down each and every comment you made. Don't have the time or inclination to do so. Suffice it to say we disagree.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok Zak, I'll bite: a thread is a division of a Forum, created to discuss a particular subject, solicit replies to a question, or to pass along info [such as a warning]. Each definition includes the subject of the thread: one particular subject, in each case.
Not having threads would be a mess, with anything & everything posted in one catchall Forum, where finding a specific bit of info would be a nightmare.
That what you were looking for?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Ok Zak, I'll bite: a thread is a division of a Forum, created to discuss a particular subject, solicit replies to a question, or to pass along info [such as a warning]. Each definition includes the subject of the thread: one particular subject, in each case.
Not having threads would be a mess, with anything & everything posted in one catchall Forum, where finding a specific bit of info would be a nightmare.
That what you were looking for?

I agree with the lady. (always a smart plan)

transporter

Expert Expediter
cheri, you said it better than me. however i find it strange how none of the as jaminjim calls them(magneficent seven) has choosen not to answer the question. so what are you waiting for.
if you are the majority speak up.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Oh it's not foreign to me at all....but then you've shown not only myself, but several others absolutely no respect. So be it...we won't see eye to eye on this subject.

Speaking for myself, that's not true. I showed respect to those folks [including your spouse] by sending PMs, quite awhile ago, requesting some restraint on the chatting. I politely explained why, because I like the individuals involved, and have no desire to embarrass or upset them, but thought perhaps they didn't realize, as Transporter said, how much space they are appropriating for their own purpose.
They paid no attention.
Lately, OVM has shown restraint - but then, others have spoken up on the subject, besides me.
I just wonder why those who are so fond of the back & forth chat can't make use of PMs, or take it to Facebook, Twitter, or somewhere that's meant for exactly that? :confused:
PS Happy birthday, Juju!

transporter

Expert Expediter
I will have to disagree with bantering through pm only. please keep the banter. just not every thread. We have 2 main banter threads location, and load1 thread. You can even start your own comical thread (great) i would be glad to add to it.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Guess you either didn't read the thread or you don't want banter.

So.... you want it just like your mind? :D

well jim this isnt the first time your attempt to explain your thoughts was to be personally insulting to a member on EO.
Immature, to say the least.
Slammin jim....oh pleez, I hear better retorts from my 5 and 6 year nieces.

NO BANTER NO BANTER NO BANTER:cool:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
well jim this isnt the first time your attempt to explain your thoughts was to be personally insulting to a member on EO.
If you say so, I do my best to be as insulting as possible. :confused:
Immature, to say the least.
Is there something on your mind?
Slammin jim....oh pleez, I hear better retorts from my 5 and 6 year nieces.
Hmmm I was referred to as Hitler and then called Slammin Jim. And I'm the one who is trying to insult? I guess the little grin I put next to the closed mind comment really set you off. :rolleyes:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
What's cool about this site is it doesn't force anyone to click on certain threads if ya don't like it stay the HE double hockey sticks out
-
-
If going on this train of thought why do we have this thing we call threads. why not just post anything any time.
maybe because different members have different interest. some are all serious no banter please. some are purely banter. and some members fall into both categories but not always on same subject. i personally like to banter but recognize others dont.
there is no reason why some threads can be banter free and be RESPECTED as such by others.
We already have a banter thread its called the location thread. there is also the load1 thread that is mostly load1 members.
i am a pretty simple hillbilly, to me a thread's purpose is to direct a train of thought.

Choooo Choooo:D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I will have to disagree with bantering through pm only. please keep the banter. just not every thread. We have 2 main banter threads location, and load1 thread. You can even start your own comical thread (great) i would be glad to add to it.

Actually Transporter, there are threads that have no banter, and for the most part they serve their purpose, but are pretty cut and dry and usually don't last on the daily new post list.
examples? Tax Topics, anything in the carrier forums that aren't open to the entire forum, and a few other threads that really aren't that popular.
I like EO the way it is and Why can't we all just get along!!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Why Bother?

From -

Conversation - Wikipedia, NOT WIKILEAKS!

Classification of conversation in groupings

Subject <<-- EO THREADS

The majority of conversations can be divided into four categories according to their major subject content:

• Conversations about subjective ideas, which often serve to extend understanding and awareness.
  • Conversations about objective facts, which may serve to consolidate a widely-held view.
  • Conversations about other people (usually absent), which may be either critical, competitive, or supportive. This includes gossip.
  • Conversations about oneself, which sometimes indicate attention-seeking behavior.
In the real world, few conversations fall exclusively into one category. Nevertheless, the proportional distribution of any given conversation between the categories can offer useful psychological insights into the mind set of the participants.

Function <<--EO POSTS

Each type of conversation has its own cluster of purposes and expectations attached.

• Functional conversation is designed to convey information in order to help achieve an individual or group goal. <<-- EO's purpose
  • Small talk is a type of conversation where the topic is less important than the social purpose of achieving bonding between people or managing personal distance. <<-- EO MEMBER'S HABITS
  • Banter is non-serious conversation, usually between friends, which may rely on humor or in-jokes at the expense of those taking part.<<--NOT EO The purpose of banter may at first appear to be an offensive affront to the other person's face. However, people engaging in such a conversation are often signaling that they are comfortable enough in each others' company to be able to say such things without causing offense. Banter is particularly difficult for those on the autism spectrum and those with semantic pragmatic disorder, as many naturally think of it as mindlessness. Many names have been created for people who have good banter, including but not limited to: the yule time classic 'Banter Claus', 'Bantersaurus Rex' and a favorite amongst British youth, the 'Arch Bishop of Banterbury'.
Spontaneity <<-- WHAT MAKES EO GREAT

In most conversations, the responses are a spontaneous reaction to what has previously been said. In entertainment talk shows, however, the topics of conversation are often pre-scripted. Talk shows such as William F. Buckley's Firing Line or the Dick Cavett Show can be considered as exercises in conversation.

Conversation between strangers <<-- EO'S MEMBERS DO THIS TOO

There are certain situations, typically encountered while traveling, which result in strangers sharing what ordinarily be a intimate social space such as sitting together on a bus or airplane. In such situations strangers are likely to share intimate personal information they would not ordinarily share with strangers.

NOW with that said, there is a lot of useless information but this is not a chat room, this is not live feeds or any other garbage like twitter or facebook. IT IS a community that seems to work.