why have threads

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Whats with all the control issues lately? People are people, each have their own personality. What some might like about threads staying on topic could turn others off and it works in the reverse too. There is no way your going to satisfy everyone with a single solution.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I agree Xiggi,but I will throw this out as a thought the thing that gets me is when people complain and then not start threads.

Maybe the word PARTICIPATION is not just about reading or posting but starting a conversation, it helps to defray the posts that others don't like?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Wow is this a can of dead frogs.
Have some frog legs then.

Look at people try to figure out what is right and wrong ... again ...
I don't see it that way at all. There is no right or wrong. It is asking which way the majority of members want the forum to go.

didn't we have this very deep, intellectual conversation a while ago with the "Month location non-banter" thread where they were flogging people?
Not that I know of. In that debate the conversation was about the right of a moderator to delete posts. Here the topic is people self policing.

Personally the ignore list is something I can do without.
I agree.
Maybe those who think it is a good thing, I think it is just too much control in the hands of those who are not moderators! :rolleyes:
How is that? the ignore feature does not affect anyone else.

transporter

Expert Expediter
so xiggi if member 12345 post a thread that they find it to be very important to them, that they should put up with me bantering back and forth because i have every write in the world say whatever i want where ever i want. because i cant be controlled. FFREEDOMMMMMMMM.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Whats with all the control issues lately? People are people, each have their own personality. What some might like about threads staying on topic could turn others off and it works in the reverse too. There is no way your going to satisfy everyone with a single solution.
The only control I'm talking about is self control. Is that to much? Reading some of these threads is like going to an open chat on AOL.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Jim,
I understand what you are getting at but you can't simply ask the members which way they want to see it go because everyone has a differing opinion about the subject.

Once someone, who will go unmentioned, wanted to control every post and put forth the idea that idle off topic stuff be banned, maybe with the member at that. I pointed out that is a great way to kill the forum, it will become stupid and useless except for the few who have that large of an ego to only permit things they deem useful. I fought the idea because EO may be made up of a cross section of people, but it is one of the really better sites that actually have a participation by regulars and newbies that don't just make this a controlled hangout for old farts who want to talk about stupid crap.

Forums either are strictly controlled and reflect the controllers (like that other site) or they evolve with the people who participate in them - it is that simple.

The great thing about EO is that it is really open. I mean that the members welcome new members and try to help out, even if a thread or two or 100 grow out of the original topic, most of the threads have something someone can use. Believe it or not that Load-1 thread was about a community, not just about a number of guys who work for load-1 but all of us, and there was a lot of information there that helped a lot of people.

Did it sort of get out of hand?

You bet, especially with them d*mn shorts.

The no banter debate was about the banter going on in the location thread, I brought it to a new level when Leo 'deleted' my posts instead of allowing me to edit them.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
i asked in the beginning. i asked juju got no response. i now ask again what is the purpose of threads.

OK Again I will ask what makes this pop up again?

Or is that another thread?

Seriously it is a subject folder of sorts, a channel that we all use for subject material that drives the conversation.

BUT another way of looking at it is that a thread is a micro-subject of a forum, with the forum itself being a broad subject and the thread the finer part of that broad subject. The post within the thread is the member's opinion or answer to the subject in discussion.

Does that make any sense at all?

Is that what you are looking for?

transporter

Expert Expediter
why does it have to be completely one way or the other. you know like a choice. the true nazi's are the ones demanding it solely all their way. what is wrong with letting those members who do not like the banter have there own threads not hijacked.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
and THAT thread died..you still don't see a December without banter thread!

as did Jaminjim's attempt to keep the banter contained. How many ways can I say "Sig Heil!"
Does this mean I won't be put on the Christmas list for pickles? ;)
See I know banter. :D

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
i asked in the beginning. i asked juju got no response. i now ask again what is the purpose of threads.

The purpose of threads is to exchange information, experience, humor, or anything else that the poster cares to pass along.

Most every thread I have ever read goes off topic at one time or another, for one reason or another. If one does not like the post or posts, scroll down. It's not hard. Trying to control what is said is offensive. This is an "Open" forum.

There are many threads I don't like or have no interest in, so I don't read them. There are many posts and posters I don't like, but I don't attack them or try to control them because they have the right to post and voice an opinion.

As an example, most of us have had contact with a bully that stole our lunch money or tried to make us do what we didn't want to do. Bullying doesn't have to be strictly physical. I have seen several members correct or even criticize others because of their spelling or the composition of their posts. Did that member ever stop to think that the person they are criticizing did not have the benefit of the education they had? Or that the person misspelled a word because they are dyslexic? Or that they do not understand how to use spell checker? Do they care about the feelings of the person being corrected? Yet when one is humorously criticized about their spelling, it changes how it is perceived. I see the former type of control as degrading. The latter is not.

The "control" in this forum is in the rules. Any other form of control is the purview of the moderators not individual members.

transporter

Expert Expediter
yes greg it does make absolute since.
the forum is for the general discussion of any subject.
a thread is a subdivision of the general forum. with a stated subject matter.

that stated some members ignore stated subject matter of any and all threads with total disregard for other members.
-
thank you greg for your reponse but you are not really guilty of hijacking. i am mainly asking the hijackers that feel it is taking their freedoms away.
-
also where are all the other members that have a problem with the bantering. newby oppinions welcome

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Jim,
I understand what you are getting at but you can't simply ask the members which way they want to see it go because everyone has a differing opinion about the subject.
Yep, thats why I posted the Poll, I am under the impression that some of the chatters don't know that they are causing any aggravation, while some others surly know and continue to post to annoy them more. It's kinda like having a semi-intelligent conversation with someone, and a child seeing that they are not the center of the universe picks up a spoon and bangs away on a pot, yeah I can still talk and hear but why should I?

Once someone, who will go unmentioned, wanted to control every post and put forth the idea that idle off topic stuff be banned, maybe with the member at that.
Apples and oranges, self policing, and self control along with a dose of common courtesy.

The great thing about EO is that it is really open. I mean that the members welcome new members and try to help out, even if a thread or two or 100 grow out of the original topic, most of the threads have something someone can use. Believe it or not that Load-1 thread was about a community, not just about a number of guys who work for load-1 but all of us, and there was a lot of information there that helped a lot of people.
Not when it's buried in 1000 posts.

Did it sort of get out of hand?
Sort of? <snort>

You bet, especially with them d*mn shorts.
That is a case where somebody can't think of anything to say, so they just say something. Ken's shorts have ceased to have any 'inside joke' quality to them at all.

transporter

Expert Expediter
wolfman not every thread is started with the combined purposes
that you stated. some yes are.
the purpose of a thread is to give direction to discussion.
i have started threads before just to banter.
i have started threads before for hopefully intelegent communication.
i have also probly have had my spelling corrected more than anybody(which doesnt bother me).
some of the biggest banters on here i like. even ovm
and i have been guilty of bantering and will again.
but every thread is not necesary.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
NO BANTER NO BANTER NO BANTER:D

I like my EO closed minded and ignorant of the things going on
in the REST of our world.:D

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
The purpose of threads is to exchange information, experience, humor, or anything else that the poster cares to pass along.
If you are talking about the person who started the thread I agree whole heartedly. If on the other hand you are saying that people should post about hamburgers in a truck thread I don't agree.

Most every thread I have ever read goes off topic at one time or another, for one reason or another.
I agree there a lot of times that someone might say it is really slow and it turns into why someone spent to much time in Washington State, then someone starts to talk about how Carrier XXX does really well out of Texas but not so well out of Maine.
If one does not like the post or posts, scroll down.
Well at least you didn't tell us to stay the h*ll out of the thread.
It's not hard.
It should not be necessary, but you are right it's just annoying.
Trying to control what is said is offensive.
It would be less offensive if people learned to control themselves.
This is an "Open" forum.
This is a reoccurring theme. Just because you think that means you can say and do what you want doesn't mean you should.

There are many threads I don't like or have no interest in, so I don't read them. There are many posts and posters I don't like, but I don't attack them or try to control them because they have the right to post and voice an opinion.
If they were posting a opinion, then it wouldn't be banter.

The "control" in this forum is in the rules. Any other form of control is the purview of the moderators not individual members.
Sure is. The snippet is copied directly from the Code of Conduct for EOL.

8. Spamming is prohibited.
Spam is considered to be repetitive posting of the same topic again and again or nonsensical posts that have no
substance
and are often designed to annoy other forum users. Posts of this nature are not conducive to the community
and are unwelcome.
- Posting an identical topic in more than one forum is considered spam. - Sending any commercial
message via the private message (PM) feature of the forum will also be considered as spamming.