why have threads

transporter

Expert Expediter
What's cool about this site is it doesn't force anyone to click on certain threads if ya don't like it stay the HE double hockey sticks out
-
-
If going on this train of thought why do we have this thing we call threads. why not just post anything any time.
maybe because different members have different interest. some are all serious no banter please. some are purely banter. and some members fall into both categories but not always on same subject. i personally like to banter but recognize others dont.
there is no reason why some threads can be banter free and be RESPECTED as such by others.
We already have a banter thread its called the location thread. there is also the load1 thread that is mostly load1 members.
i am a pretty simple hillbilly, to me a thread's purpose is to direct a train of thought.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I think it was a thread "that broke the camels back", so, it should be able to direct a train.

Ugh...what is banter???

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because some threads have very little real content..like as in the present..Load1 congrats thread....it was over in 4 posts..it was doomed to go into banter...considering some threads were recently moved to carrier specific forums....for some unknown reason it was left in the general forum...
It was posted by a Load1 driver in reaction to a Load 1 program and had no business in the general forum...it certainly qualified for carrier section...

You'll see the Lost Dog thread hasn't degenerated but might...the issue is over and the thread should be closed...if left open it could get into the different breeds of dogs some have out here..

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I consider this thread is for general discussion on something that is bothering Transporter.

I agree with him on this as I start reading a thread that is on a topic that interests me and after a bit I quit following it as the banter takes the topic off base. The sad part is someone will post something on that topic I have given up on and I often do not see it unless I am told about the post.

I also agree that when talking in person the conversation can go all over the place the difference here to me is that we are talking about threads on a subject with many people not a sit at the kitchen table with a few people.

I have been accused of having ADD and I am bad about going of topic when I am in a face to face conversation so I perfectly understand a conversation meandering all over the place.

To me a thread is a thread on a certain topic if I want to change the topic I can start a new thread and don't high jack someone else's. I have done this in the past and have seen how it can dilute a thread and in the future I hope to not repeat my past mistakes.

Reactions: 1 person

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes Linda..General discussion...but it has nothing to do with expediting in general and everything to do with the site itself...
see my point?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Yes I see your point, but I see Transporter asking for change or to be aware of what the banter is doing to some threads.

Some threads are banter back and forth others though have a purpose!

transporter

Expert Expediter
ovm, i agree there are threads started that are banter
magnates (great). this thread was started in general forum
so all members can discuss it not just have web support talk
about it.
greg, it has been brought up this time because there are
members that it still bugs. read some of the post.
it is not just one member contrary what some have said
i have even had expediters at truckstops say they no
longer go to EO anymore because of this.
-
i personally like to banter (meaningless chatter). i would never want it to go away. but do we really need it in every thread.
come on guys/gals.
this is not a obama communist conspiracy.
yes this will make some threads boring and probly short and die quickly. so what if they do.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes I see your point, but I see Transporter asking for change or to be aware of what the banter is doing to some threads.

Still ...Nothing to do with expediting in General and everything to do with the site...

Some threads are banter back and forth others though have a purpose!

Yep...:D and that is why I've controlled my impulses and stayed out of some threads with banter....

anyone went to a Lawyers Forum? Now there is a friendly place...:rolleyes:

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
i agree. I really hate looking at a thread that im really interested in with 3 pages with 2 of the 3 are off topic arguing who is right, making jokes, etc. Its getting old. I almost expect it from every thread I go to now. I think the mods need to address the issue. ( I know I would if I was one ) keep it on topic and if you wanna have a side discussion pm the person or start your own thread is what I see is fair.

Like the load 1 thread where everyone talks about OVM shorts :D Perfect example. Make a thread about it. Cheese cake . Make a thread about it. Or make a load 1 chat thread and have it all mixed in there. Again just my opinion :cool:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ovm, i agree there are threads started that are banter
magnates (great). this thread was started in general forum
so all members can discuss it not just have web support talk
about it.

greg, it has been brought up this time because there are
members that it still bugs. read some of the post.
it is not just one member contrary what some have said
i have even had expediters at truckstops say they no
longer go to EO anymore because of this.
-
i personally like to banter (meaningless chatter). i would never want it to go away. but do we really need it in every thread.
come on guys/gals.
this is not a obama communist conspiracy.
yes this will make some threads boring and probly short and die quickly. so what if they do.

Wrong buddy....WE are also WEB support....members concerned about the direction of the site....and supporting it...

Look at the Title..."Expediting concerns in General"

transporter

Expert Expediter
look at the banters they are probly the ones who love EO the most. they/we, love their communication with each other. of the banters that see these post consider it an attack on the the EO family. In my case it is not. There are some on here however that prefer a more grown-up conversation.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
I have to agree with what Transporter, Team Caffee, ChrisGA23 & Jaminjim have said........

but I guess you knew I would LOL :D:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
and the tug of war goes on..and on and on....

especially so petty that the Congratulations thread degenerated..who really cares? *LOL*

transporter

Expert Expediter
ovm if this thread is moved there very few people will see it.
and you are smart enough to know that.
i have not mentioned names nor will i of members not happy with excesive bantering but i do ask you step forward now and say your piece. that is if it is that important to you.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No OVM it has to do with you and several others, not the site.

I see it the other way around Jim..it has to do with you as well...

I AGREE with the argument to keep serious topics ON TOPIC or CLOSE as possible and as I said I've controlled myself the last few months to stay out or stay on topic of most threads...but you fail to see or acknowledge this....I have NOT even mentioned my shorts...some however keep bringing them up....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ovm if this thread is moved there very few people will see it.
and you are smart enough to know that.
i have not mentioned names nor will i of members not happy with excesive bantering but i do ask you step forward now and say your piece. that is if it is that important to you.

Why will they not see it? Do they not have a scroll button...or just plain lazy...? in which case...screw them...

transporter

Expert Expediter
ovm, i honestly have seen you controling your banter. ie not not hijacking the serious threads. you have been in the bantering threads (load1, and location threads). but there are others.