Pirates

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bot Chef your hatred really gets in the way....

Gortney, the commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command, said the White House had given "very clear guidance and authority" to take action if Phillips' life was in danger.

Admiral Gortney was specifically asked if he (the on-scene commander) had been in telephone communication with the president and the answer was no, there was a "standing order" and it was the Navy on-scene commander (Frank Castellano) who made the decision that Captain Phillips' life was, indeed, in immenent danger.

Me reads the White House gave the go ahead and Castellano made the call when to attack when the timing was right...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
the "clear guidance and authrority" was to "talk" to make a deal....not to shoot....the standing order was and had been to "Talk", that is why the FBI was brought in....I'll take the commander at his statement that HE had no contact with the whitehouse.... it was HIS decision to take the scum out.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The article says nothing about "talk" .
It did say the Navy could act when there was imminent danger and thats what the Navy did...
And where is the article they were head shots?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
From Msnbc:

President Barack Obama's "no drama" handling of the Indian Ocean hostage crisis proved a big win for his administration in its first critical national security test.

Obama's quiet backstage decision to authorize the Defense Department to take necessary action if Capt. Richard Phillips' life was in imminent danger gave a Navy commander the go-ahead to order snipers to fire on the pirates holding the cargo ship captain at gunpoint.

For Obama, the benefits were instantly clear: an American life saved and a major victory notched against an increasingly worrisome scourge of the seas off the Horn of Africa.

Indeed, the last Democratic president to unleash American military might against Somalis suffered miserably from the failure of that operation. Portrayed in the book and movie "Black Hawk Down," a U.S. peacekeeping mission ordered by President Bill Clinton ended with a humiliating withdrawal of troops after a deadly clash in the Somali capital of Mogadishu.The outcome this time was vastly different.

Last edited:

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
From Msnbc:

President Barack Obama's "no drama" handling of the Indian Ocean hostage crisis proved a big win for his administration in its first critical national security test.

Obama's quiet backstage decision to authorize the Defense Department to take necessary action if Capt. Richard Phillips' life was in imminent danger gave a Navy commander the go-ahead to order snipers to fire on the pirates holding the cargo ship captain at gunpoint.

For Obama, the benefits were instantly clear: an American life saved and a major victory notched against an increasingly worrisome scourge of the seas off the Horn of Africa.

Indeed, the last Democratic president to unleash American military might against Somalis suffered miserably from the failure of that operation. Portrayed in the book and movie "Black Hawk Down," a U.S. peacekeeping mission ordered by President Bill Clinton ended with a humiliating withdrawal of troops after a deadly clash in the Somali capital of Mogadishu.The outcome this time was vastly different.
What did you expect MSNBC to say? MSNBC
is Obama's concubine.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Re: Pirates! HOW TO HANDLE IT?

regarding my comments on the smiper feasibility:
I'm sure glad no on told the snipers they couldn't do it.....
Context, please. When I wrote that, the Bainbridge was merely within eyesight, reportedly miles away from the lifeboat. When the snipers did act, they were reportedly within rock throwing distance of the lifeboat, and in much calmer waters.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What did you expect MSNBC to say? MSNBC
is Obama's concubine.
I read the same thing from Reuters and the BBC as the story broke. 4 days ago the rules of engagement were reported, and they were simply that no one was to fire upon the pirates unless the hostage was in imminent danger. People can read into that whatever they like, and spin it however they wish.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
My point is MSNBC has no objectivity when reporting on Obama. They literally write his press releases for him. Several news anchors and commentators at MSNBC all but openly endorsed Obama for President. The last objective reporter for the pea**** network might have been Irving R. Levine.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My point is MSNBC has no objectivity when reporting on Obama. They literally write his press releases for him. Several news anchors and commentators at MSNBC all but openly endorsed Obama for President. The last objective reporter for the pea**** network might have been Irving R. Levine.

It wouldn't have mattered who or where I quoted from...You all are reporting the incomplete and falsely reported facts to suit your agenda....You are just like Democrats! Spinmakers...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ALL networks reporting the same info, but MSNBC is wrong? WTF!

Thats my point...seems some add or subtract facts to suit their purpose.

chef said
Hats off and salute to the Navy Seals. And they even used "snipers" at 20-30 meters in rolling seas. used .308 caliber weapons and had 3 clean head shots.
Anyone read anywhere it said head shots?? and clean ones at that..

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The MSM is reporting what barrys press is feeding them....I made the mistake of not seperating Adminal Gortney and Commander Castellano, Gortney is in Washington he DIDn't order the shootings he was still advocating the clear guidance and authroity to let the FBI "TALKERS" do their thing, that is why one pirate was in board for "face to face" talks when Commander Castelllano decided to take the shots.....Castellano had no contact or ok from the white house, he acted when he felt the captain was in eniment danger and his men did there job.

But lets give barry the credit, even if he did give the order, it wasn;t until SATURDAY!! FIVE DAYS after the hostages were taken and then it was at the insistances of the DOD ,he wouldn't do it on his own..

As for the media, lol they are getting their releases from barrys ress people , namemy Gibbs who has already shown himself another idoit appointment by barry....and yes the MSM is all so unbias............lol

As for the sniper shoots, they were taken from 70 mieters, just a tad over 100 yrs, 330 feet in rolling seas...and they SNIPERS took their shots and made them.......without barrys doing anything other then eat gourmet pizza from a chef that he had flown in from st louis at 860 air miles........

Add this mistake to barrys "european apology trip" , N korea telling him and hillary to screw off and launching their missle, iran publishing the "love letter' from barry and the russiaians telling the world about barrys "SECRET" love letter to then, and then barry himself telling the world that "American needs to lead the way in dumping our nukes because we are the only ones that had the cajones to use them when needed..his turning of his back to israel and embracing the PA and his BOWING to the Saudi king......yea he is doing a great job.....and I didn even touch on his baking mess and his take over of GM and the fact that he doesn't want to "run" an auto comoay, but is doing his dangest to dismantle it now when that should have been let to happen before we dumped a dime in taxpayer money into it...

Yea i am impressed with his worths ideals and plans........and how he works under stress sitting on his hand and "talking" to terrorist for 5 days, We don't negoicate with terrorist, there should have been 1 option on the table, let the captain go by "X" hour or die.....that should have been in place from day one and they should have known it, not playing games and trying to make a deal, that wasn't going to happen as barry wanted it to anyhow......

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The UN issued an ultimatum to the pirates a few minutes ago to either release the hostages or they will take up the matter in the security council next week.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just maybe he was talking to the other countries involved...?
After all their were more then Americans lives at risk...
He may have been rushed as his pace is slow and deliberate by the fact the French beat us to the punch and stole some glory!

And the article said approx. 30 meters...a mere 100 feet.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
The UN issued an ultimatum to the pirates a few minutes ago to either release the hostages or they will take up the matter in the security council next week.

Oh man, they're in trouble now...If they don't release the other hostages they're going to get a nasty condemnation...

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter

Do you mean to say that Rachel Maddow and Keith Olberman are not objective?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am going to add something separately.

I bet that Obama was not too concern with one life or the situation overall - he mat refer the entire thing to the UN. I bet he did the same thing Clinton did in other situations in the region, let the advisers tell him the best course of action to take, let them make the decision, signed off on it and backed them up. If it failed, he had them to blame (and would have) but if it succeeded, then he would take the credit. I just don't see him leading - senators don't lead and he is still acting like a senator.

Iran is a funny thing, I wish he would reach out more and appoligize more because it actually frustrates the leaders of Iran - they want to engage Obama to test him and to show who is stronger by not blinking but when they have someone saying "I am sorry my country did .....", they can't to any realitive point with that. It is all about strength, it is all about showing pride in your country, it is about leading. The average Iranian has a lot of pride in their country and expects the same from us which garners respect for us from them as a people. The same beleive it or not goes for the people in the government of all the countries, not just Iran.

North Korea, I bet NK will move forward with more since he got the green light from the US. NK is not going to stop right now and the Chinese seem to think that it may be a good thing to see the limits of the new president. Scary!

The last thing is turkey, that was a joke. The UK press has ripped Obama for his comments and during the G200, they ripped into Michele too (she thinks she is a kennedy).