zoning board to property owner: tear down house or go to jail

clcooper

Expert Expediter
I find that unless the city or township are willing to actually put an effort into maintaining their obligation, then they should never ask homeowners to do their part to keep the city or township looking acceptable.

In my case I am fighting a battle over drainage ditches and incomplete work on the roads. When they came up with this great idea to pave the roads, they used money allocated for something else, bypassing all the state requirements and then made a few small corrections on the drains and finished off some owners' drives while ignoring others.

At this point, I have a washed out lawn on both sides, a flooded basement I am still working on and as of today, I am told that I am supposed to keep the drain clear of vegetation AFTER they came through and cleaned some of the other drains out.

Their obligation exceeds my obligation to maintain any of my property because their lack of maintenance of the essential services and their lack of cooperation to correct these issues damages my property and those around me.

On top of this, I find that most cities in the country are more concern with beyond the basic services and go for money over safety and peace. I can't help but ask why would a city layoff police and fire people but not building inspectors or enforcement officers?

Home owners associations to me are a very bad thing, it is reliquishing control of your basic property rights to someone who can and often has a control issue with other people. I have known people who paint their house and have to fight because they didn't get permission to paint the house. Also know one person who got fed up with the HOA after his house had a kitchen fire and he had to replace the back door which is not seen in the front. He could not find the correct matching door with the correct dimensions and he got fined for it. He ended up painting his house Smurf Blue to force the HOA to take him to court, they lost.

Oh by the way Brisco, Detroit and some of the 'burbs actually will force you to follow new 'building codes' because of your race. This has happened in both Southfield and Detroit to a number of White business owners.

dont any body see what is happening i fixed it up alittle bit
""The government to me are a very bad thing, it is reliquishing control of your basic property rights to someone who can and often has a control issue with other people.""

someone who often has a control issue with other people. reliquishing control of your basic rights

CONTROL . i hope more wake up and soon before it is to late

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Clearly clcooper is a "renter", it shows.

"Bless His Heart".....................:p

(inside joke off a TV commercial for a mortgage lender here in the DFW area. If you live in this area and know the commercial, esss'plain to clcooper what I just said. :D :D )

Camper

Not a Member
This I totally disagree with.....

There are more Federal Laws in place that protects certain races and certain economic groups of people than that is needed. It's called "discrimination", and the laws in place to keep certain entities from discriminating against certain "classes", or certain "races" are very very closely watched.

There are No City Ordinances or Zoning Laws that keeps one from doing what is not allowed due to their race or their economic social status. A city cannot tell a Black Guy that he cannot open a car wash on Main St cause he's black. They can tell 'em he can't open that car wash cause it's not zoned for such use. (ie-traffic reasons, hours of operation, noise control, etc) And same rules would apply for everyone, whether they're white, black, tan, or pink.

Sure, all across the country Ordinances are being put in place that will not allow certain "illegal" aliens from renting apts and houses in certain cities, and they are being challenged by our Federal Figures. They are claiming it's Discrimination against Mexicans, but in reality, it's not. Same Ordinance would apply even if we had 14 million Illegal aliens from Canada, from Taiwan, Zimbabwe, or wherever. But because we have a huge illegal alien problem from Mexico, we are led to believe this is discriminating against Mexicans. In fact, the ordinances are being put in place to supplement existing Federal Laws that does not support illegal alien activity. But, bleeding liberalism needs all the help they can get, so if keeping the 14 million illegal MEXICANS in this country for support means that they have to force cities to break Federal Laws by allowing illegal mexicans to have access to housing in their city, then they could really care less if Laws are broken or not.

Well, the irony is that many of the proponents of zoning/local ordinances are those(read: elitests do gooders) tend to be in favor of the federal anti-discrimination laws you cite.

The real issue is these suburbanite elitests tend to have this "not in my backyard" mentality with respect to certain elements of society, mostly for the sake of "protecting their property values".

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Camper

Not a Member
I find that unless the city or township are willing to actually put an effort into maintaining their obligation, then they should never ask homeowners to do their part to keep the city or township looking acceptable.

Sums up one of my many gripes on this issue quite well..Entites that can't maintain their own operations/property telling homeowners how to maintain theirs.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I'm not trying to pee on anyone's leg here but the problem is that we don't have communities any more - we have people who don't want to live together as communities and this includes those nice planned communities where there is always a HOA mucking about to maintain the community that just doesn't exist.

I have noticed that when people complain about a crappy looking house, they just complain and not try to be a neighbor. Like our situation, I was on the road for four months and my wife who just had surgery could not cut the lawn so the kid down the street didn't even bother to ask if she wanted it done, it was done. We paid him later when we found out who did it but he said he was being a neighbor as his parents taught him.

I have a great neighbor next to me and a good one across the street from me but I'm surounded by renters and that has brought the neighborhood down. We talk about the neighborhood, watch other's properties and when there are problems, we are together with solutions. I just don't see this happening in places like where my father lives or sisters live - everyone seems to be apart but living near by. I surely don't see it happening in HOA or planned communities where the value of the property is more important than the community.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Well I'm not trying to pee on anyone's leg here but the problem is that we don't have communities any more - we have people who don't want to live together as communities and this includes those nice planned communities where there is always a HOA mucking about to maintain the community that just doesn't exist.

I have noticed that when people complain about a crappy looking house, they just complain and not try to be a neighbor. Like our situation, I was on the road for four months and my wife who just had surgery could not cut the lawn so the kid down the street didn't even bother to ask if she wanted it done, it was done. We paid him later when we found out who did it but he said he was being a neighbor as his parents taught him.

I have a great neighbor next to me and a good one across the street from me but I'm surounded by renters and that has brought the neighborhood down. We talk about the neighborhood, watch other's properties and when there are problems, we are together with solutions. I just don't see this happening in places like where my father lives or sisters live - everyone seems to be apart but living near by. I surely don't see it happening in HOA or planned communities where the value of the property is more important than the community.

Most people don't even know their neighbors name these days

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
clcooper: I gotta tell you: if you were making a lot of noise at 2AM, I sure wouldn't "be a MAN" by knocking on your door to tell you about it. Common sense should tell you that it's not the time to make a lot of noise, and if you can't stop your dog from barking/howling enough to bother people, you need to do something about it - the first step towards having good neighbors is being one.

Dakota: I think you're wrong about that - at least I hope so. I've heard it before, too, but everyone I know is familiar with at least some of the neighbors, just like everyone here seems to be. Sometimes, stuff 'everybody knows' is just flat out wrong. Granted, neighborhood 'block parties' aren't as common as they once were, [yes, I AM that old, lol], but we still recognize the neighbors, and wave at them, right?

clcooper

Expert Expediter
Clearly clcooper is a "renter", it shows.

"Bless His Heart".....................:p

(inside joke off a TV commercial for a mortgage lender here in the DFW area. If you live in this area and know the commercial, esss'plain to clcooper what I just said. :D :D )

when i bought my house did you not read the first sentence and went right to the second sentence
and i guess this means i am a renter too " i was worried about it smoking up his house "

no wonder the problems never get fixed

Last edited:

clcooper

Expert Expediter
clcooper: I gotta tell you: if you were making a lot of noise at 2AM, I sure wouldn't "be a MAN" by knocking on your door to tell you about it. Common sense should tell you that it's not the time to make a lot of noise, and if you can't stop your dog from barking/howling enough to bother people, you need to do something about it - the first step towards having good neighbors is being one.

so they should be a good neighbors but not you . and use their common sense and not have the music up too loud . like you never did any thing and lose track of time . or thought the music was turned down enough .like the race track here at my home . it is 3 miles away . some night i never hear them . and some nights it sounds like they are in my back yard . so where is your common sense . so glad that there is still perfect people out there . so how would you stop a dog from barking at night . are you the dog whisperer . so glad you are such the perfect animal trainer . and instead of offering any help you would just rather ***** about it because you are the perfect better person then they are .

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
so they should be a good neighbors but not you . and use their common sense and not have the music up too loud . like you never did any thing and lose track of time . or thought the music was turned down enough .like the race track here at my home . it is 3 miles away . some night i never hear them . and some nights it sounds like they are in my back yard . so where is your common sense . so glad that there is still perfect people out there . so how would you stop a dog from barking at night . are you the dog whisperer . so glad you are such the perfect animal trainer . and instead of offering any help you would just rather ***** about it because you are the perfect better person then they are .

Man! Take a chill pill. Why so confrontational in every post? :confused:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Man! Take a chill pill. Why so confrontational in every post? :confused:

Thinks he's at home maybe???

So used to being confronted by his neighbors at 2am and being hassled about his barking dogs, that confrontation probably follows him 24/7, even here on this board. :p

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thinks he's at home maybe???

So used to being confronted by his neighbors at 2am and being hassled about his barking dogs, that confrontation probably follows him 24/7, even here on this board. :p

Maybe he just needs to hunker. :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Most people don't even know their neighbors name these days

That's the point I am trying to make.

If it is a community, given the worst or best neighbors, the community cares as a whole about what went on but now a days it is just like trucking - you can watch out your window as your neighbors are being robbed and not know whether it is their kids or actual robbery because you don't know the people.

We've grown apart from our selves, we no longer are large communities where everyone knows everyone else and where neighbors actually do this or that for one another. I feel the HOA replaces the people's involvement and the idea of a house being a home is not the case, it is an investment.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
That's the point I am trying to make.

If it is a community, given the worst or best neighbors, the community cares as a whole about what went on but now a days it is just like trucking - you can watch out your window as your neighbors are being robbed and not know whether it is their kids or actual robbery because you don't know the people.

We've grown apart from our selves, we no longer are large communities where everyone knows everyone else and where neighbors actually do this or that for one another. I feel the HOA replaces the people's involvement and the idea of a house being a home is not the case, it is an investment.

Sad really, my Mom tells stories about knowing ever single person on her block and all the parents knowing all the children and if someone was misbehaving the neighbors would scold them or tell their parents of course my Mom is a baby boomer and was born after world war 2.
I think one of the problems now is kids don't go outside and play like they used to, with all the tv and video games etc also most parents wouldn't allow their kids free roam all day long without knowing where they are. I remember leaving in the morning and not coming back until the evening...and I survived without a cell phone LOL

greg334

Veteran Expediter
No Dakota, it isn't the kids - most parents are just lazy and don't want to be involved with what it takes to raise a family. I see a lot of them, like the ones across the street who just had a 18 month old drown in the pool who are clueless to what parenting is all about. By the way my wife and one other person on the other block were the only ones who called 911.

BUT the problem is it extends to the people not wanting to be part of anything rather be individuals. Sad what the 60's have brought us.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Really, guys?
My granddaughter are 13 & 8, they live near Orlando, and they are outside playing almost all day long. They ride their bikes [or scooters or skateboards], chalk on the driveway, play in the sprinklers, catch the little lizards that zoom through the landscaping, and visit the neighbors' kids & dogs, too.
I keep reading & hearing that people don't know their neighbors, but it isn't true of anyone I know. Do you know your neighbors, or not?:confused:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Really, guys?
My granddaughter are 13 & 8, they live near Orlando, and they are outside playing almost all day long. They ride their bikes [or scooters or skateboards], chalk on the driveway, play in the sprinklers, catch the little lizards that zoom through the landscaping, and visit the neighbors' kids & dogs, too.
I keep reading & hearing that people don't know their neighbors, but it isn't true of anyone I know. Do you know your neighbors, or not?:confused:

We know are immediate neighbors on both sides and across the street, but we don't really talk to them or visit, we like to be left alone. If we had our choice we would not have neighbors close by. I do think having kids actually brings neighbors closer together though.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Nope, don't know mine. I am never home, I RARELY even see them. I knew the one's who lived there prior to us going on the road. New one's since.

I don't know, my dogs were quiet unless a stranger or a bear came in the yard. I TRAINED them to be quiet. That is what a responsible pet owner does. They keep their animals quiet and under total control, NOT letting them roam all over the neighborhood.