zoning board to property owner: tear down house or go to jail

Camper

Not a Member
Yet, another example of why local zoning boards need to be seriously reigned in.

Officials say man must tear down ‘Phonehenge’ house - Yahoo! News

Officials say man must tear down ‘Phonehenge’ house

Los Angeles county officials are demanding that a creative homeowner tear down a 20,000-square-foot domicile he calls "Phonehenge West"--or face up to seven years in jail.

Former telephone technician Alan Kimble Fahey began building the structure three decades ago in Acton, the Los Angeles Times reports. Fahey, who christened the project "Phonehenge" because it sits atop pilings modified from phone utility poles, says he intends to turn the compound into a museum.

The labyrinthine network of buildings where Fahey, his wife, and teenage son live even includes a 70-foot tower covered in Italian stained-glass windows, and a barn. Fahey uses a "motorized cart" to get between buildings, an earlier report said.

The paper describes the compound as "a hodgepodge of reddish buildings braced with scores of utility poles and steel beams and connected by bridges and ramps." Inside, the castle is filled with more than 20,000 books, and a yurt--though Fahey and his wife sleep on a single-sized water bed and cook on a tiny stove. Tourists come from all over to gaze at the creation, Fahey says, and Glamour magazine even staged a photo shoot there.

Fahey has attracted popular support for his labor of love. More than 1,000 people have liked a Facebook page called "Save Phonehenge West." And a national group that opposes "abusive" building codes, F.A.C.E.OFF (Fight Against Code Enforcement Office), is also backing Fahey. The compound has been admiringly featured on home design web sites.

A jury began hearing the county's case against Fahey last week: He is charged with 14 criminal misdemeanor counts, including unlawful use of land. L.A. County deputy District Attorney David Campbell told the paper that Fahey repeatedly ignored city officials' warnings that he was violating multiple municipal building safety and fire codes and thinks he is above the law.

"He has set up his own arrogant interpretation of the law," Campbell told the paper.

Fahey's lawyer Jerry Lennon says county officials were negligent in enforcing their own rules, leaving his client alone for two decades before deciding to crack down.

"This is an exceptional place," an L.A.-area advocate for code reform, David Lewis, told the L.A. Times. "Most of the properties that are involved in code enforcement actions are not visually striking. It's something the public can look at. It's something special that shouldn't be demolished."

Click here to see the full collection of photos at LAT.com

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I understand that Texas has no zoning laws, if this is true, maybe we need to seriously look at how they are surviving without them.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yup, same as everywhere else. Some parts are zoned, some aren't.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
An update:

The eccentric creator of a Mojave Desert compound of whimsical buildings known as Phonehenge West was jailed Friday for failing to obey an order to cut electricity and keep guests out of the illegal structures.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Daviann Mitchell put off Kim Fahey's sentencing for code violations, but ordered him held in lieu of $75,000 bail for disobeying a previous order.

Mitchell said Fahey's "blatant refusal" to demolish the structures and disconnect electricity put his family, the community and first-responders at risk because the buildings pose a significant fire hazard. The judge had allowed Fahey to remain free pending sentencing on the condition that he follow the order.

"I did not want to put Mr. Fahey in custody. I wanted to work with Mr. Fahey. I gave him an opportunity," Mitchell said. "I don't think he has taken the public risk to heart. He has chosen to do nothing."

Read the rest here:
Calif. oddity's creator ordered jailed by judge - US news - msnbc.com

Camper

Not a Member
An update:

The eccentric creator of a Mojave Desert compound of whimsical buildings known as Phonehenge West was jailed Friday for failing to obey an order to cut electricity and keep guests out of the illegal structures.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Daviann Mitchell put off Kim Fahey's sentencing for code violations, but ordered him held in lieu of $75,000 bail for disobeying a previous order.

Mitchell said Fahey's "blatant refusal" to demolish the structures and disconnect electricity put his family, the community and first-responders at risk because the buildings pose a significant fire hazard. The judge had allowed Fahey to remain free pending sentencing on the condition that he follow the order.

"I did not want to put Mr. Fahey in custody. I wanted to work with Mr. Fahey. I gave him an opportunity," Mitchell said. "I don't think he has taken the public risk to heart. He has chosen to do nothing."

Read the rest here:
Calif. oddity's creator ordered jailed by judge - US news - msnbc.com

Yet another example of why zoning boards ought to be disallowed.

It's a travesty that they're able to trample property rights under the guise of "Health & Safety" concerns which is code word for "Your working class modest home is not allowed in our town".

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I understand that Texas has no zoning laws, if this is true, maybe we need to seriously look at how they are surviving without them.

??????

When you get about 3-4 hours of free time, send me a PM and I'll explain a little about Zoning Laws in Texas! :eek:

Between opening my Car Lot last year in one community, my Furniture Store here recently in another, and the Sports Bar we're opening in whole other city 2 hours away, my Brother and I have become quite well versed in Texas "Zoning" Laws.

Ahh..........nevermind..........I don't rehash the horse hokey we've been through and learned. Just take my word for it, we have zoning laws in Texas!! ;)

Now if I can just get the Mexicans who moved in one block over to stop breaking a local "ordinance" by parking their freeeegin pickups in their yard, my neighborhood may survive another year of being decent. :mad:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Oh don't worry Brisco, I got my lesson on Texas Zoning laws. BUT with that said, I also learned there is a difference between zoning and building codes in Texas.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Fixed it for ya. :D

........I don't rehash the horse hockey we've been through and learned.

lisarotenberggallery2.jpg

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Imagine how my neighbors here in White Bread and Mayonnaise land must have felt 12 years ago when we moved in... not only were we born and raised in the 'hood, but we also promptly slapped a gargoyle on the roof peak.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Now if I can just get the Mexicans who moved in one block over to stop breaking a local "ordinance" by parking their freeeegin pickups in their yard, my neighborhood may survive another year of being decent. :mad:

What ever happened to that thing called Texas Liberty? You know, live and let live? How does something they do peacefully in THEIR yard affect you?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Dear Zoning Board,

We appreciate your concern for our health and welfare. However, we are adults; and we take responsibility for our actions, unlike most Americans. I know you want us to live long, fruitful, tax-paying lives; but that is really none of your concern. I suggest you stop trying to put me in prison, where I only take up tax-payer funds, and worry about the house down the street, where 27 illegals are living in a 2 bedroom ranch. That house isn't "healthy", but I bet it's full of "welfare". Good day to you.

Sincerely,
Heywood Jablome

Brisco

Expert Expediter
What ever happened to that thing called Texas Liberty? You know, live and let live? How does something they do peacefully in THEIR yard affect you?

Screw that............

I have a right, by way of city ordinances, to protect the value of my property, period.

Having a "blight" that effects the appearence of our community will be dealt with. This is not a 3rd world community where the streets are dirt, goats are tied up to the front tree, and where chickens run free. We have asphalted streets, concrete driveways, green and well kept yards, along with toilets that flush. If the Martinez-Rodriguez-Hernandez's that just moved in miss the way of life from home, then by Gawd they can just swim back across the river for all I care. Only thing I'm concerned about is not seeing 2 Ford F150's with low fat skateboard wheels parked 4 feet from their front door on a yard that was well kept by the previous "renter" when there's a nice clean concrete driveway 30 feet away that was meant for cars to be parked on.

Now, if I just described your neighborhood in the first part of my paragraph, then I apologize for having higher standards in life when it comes to my residence, my neighborhood, and the community I choose to live in. When you stop being a "renter", and finally a "Homeowner", you may just understand what I just said. Til then......You know what you can do with that "Free Liberty & Live and Let Live" opinion.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Whoever said I was a renter?

So... you like your property value to stay high for what reason? Higher taxes?

Just bustin yer balls here. I know what you're saying, tho I don't necessarily agree with it. You can't cure idiocy, and you can't legislate against it, necessarily. And if they're renting and doing that, go talk to the landlord. Don't give anymore power to the gubmint. Too many ppl want relief from them, and that just means more restrictions. We need to talk to one another, rather than letting gubmint be an arbitrator/rule maker.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
If you live in the country, the zoning laws are less or none.
That is why I don't live in an addition
If I want to fire my gun off the front porch, I can(although the neighbors might not like it, but it's not illegal)
If I want to have 25 rusted cars on my front lawn I can