zoning board to property owner: tear down house or go to jail

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
lisarotenberggallery2.jpg

Where do you find this stuff LOL
Did you draw this?:D

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If you live in the country, the zoning laws are less or none.
That is why I don't live in an addition
If I want to fire my gun off the front porch, I can(although the neighbors might not like it, but it's not illegal)
If I want to have 25 rusted cars on my front lawn I can

No doubt! Suburbanites have a serious stick up their butts.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
You'll change your mind when the house next to yours is purchased and a used car lot or adult bookstore is put in, right between your house and the next one over. Some zoning laws, minimal and reasonable, are necessary.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
You'll change your mind when the house next to yours is purchased and a used car lot or adult bookstore is put in, right between your house and the next one over. Some zoning laws, minimal and reasonable, are necessary.

I have an antique furniture factory right on the other side of my backyard fence. They make antiques there

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Screw that............

I have a right, by way of city ordinances, to protect the value of my property, period.

Having a "blight" that effects the appearence of our community will be dealt with. This is not a 3rd world community where the streets are dirt, goats are tied up to the front tree, and where chickens run free. We have asphalted streets, concrete driveways, green and well kept yards, along with toilets that flush. If the Martinez-Rodriguez-Hernandez's that just moved in miss the way of life from home, then by Gawd they can just swim back across the river for all I care. Only thing I'm concerned about is not seeing 2 Ford F150's with low fat skateboard wheels parked 4 feet from their front door on a yard that was well kept by the previous "renter" when there's a nice clean concrete driveway 30 feet away that was meant for cars to be parked on.

Now, if I just described your neighborhood in the first part of my paragraph, then I apologize for having higher standards in life when it comes to my residence, my neighborhood, and the community I choose to live in. When you stop being a "renter", and finally a "Homeowner", you may just understand what I just said. Til then......You know what you can do with that "Free Liberty & Live and Let Live" opinion.

I hated to do it, but there was a house on my street that was being used as a parrot breeding operation by its recent owners. You could smell the birds from the sidewalk 40' away. Trash piled up beside the house and on the front porch. Grass 12" high. I called the city. Within a few days the yard was mowed, the trash gone, and the parrots were being sold off. It's still kind of a nondescript house, nothing a little kerosene and a match wouldn't fix, but from street view it looks passable. They had to be informed via threat of a municipal civil suit that if they want to live here, they have to play by the rules, also known as ordinances...they had violated trash, grass height, and livestock operations within city limit laws. I had every right to turn them in. I have every right to protect my property value.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Whoever said I was a renter?

So... you like your property value to stay high for what reason? Higher taxes?

Just bustin yer balls here. I know what you're saying, tho I don't necessarily agree with it. You can't cure idiocy, and you can't legislate against it, necessarily. And if they're renting and doing that, go talk to the landlord. Don't give anymore power to the gubmint. Too many ppl want relief from them, and that just means more restrictions. We need to talk to one another, rather than letting gubmint be an arbitrator/rule maker.

I am trying like hell to keep the value of this house up. It has been in our Family since 1966. I inherited from my Grandmothers estate. At one time, this was "The" place to live here in Hurst Texas. For the last couple of years I have wanted to sell this house and buy me a "New" house up in the Keller-Northlake area. So, it does concern me when certain things happen that "blights" the neighborhood. I'm trying to wait out this housing crisis to no avail.

And believe me when I say the neighborhood "aint what it used to be". With all the other retirees passing on and leaving their estates to their kids who either sell the house to investors, or rents them out themselves, the 'hood is changing to a 'hood.

Renters bring Ignorance to the neighborhood. And again when I say believe me, ignorance has cropped up dramatically since I moved in almost 7 years ago. From fighting with 2 different neighbors over barking dogs, to my retired neighbor 3 houses down fighting the guy who rents the house across the street from him that runs a part-time Auto Repair shop from his garage(he's out there at 11PM revving engines and crap), we all have about had it.

My case with the dogs, I tried the "Talk" with the neighbor route. Bruce down the street tried the "Talk" with his neigbor route, but like I said, Renters draw ignorance to your 'hood, and I THANK the "GUBMINT" for helping keep some of the ignorance down to a minimum. I'm not asking for more "restrictions" for these neighbors, I'm just asking for a little common sense respect, that's all. If their IGNORANCE causes more gubmint restrictions, then so be it.

I know you were busting my balls now........we're cool!!:D

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Isn't this a picture of a nice and serene existence??

My house....and Yes, I do my yard myself!!

Attachments

• Shop & Yard 041.JPG
    Shop & Yard 041.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Shop & Yard 043.JPG
    Shop & Yard 043.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Shop & Yard 039.jpg
    Shop & Yard 039.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Shop & Yard 051.jpg
    Shop & Yard 051.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 15

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Imagine how my neighbors here in White Bread and Mayonnaise land must have felt 12 years ago when we moved in... not only were we born and raised in the 'hood, but we also promptly slapped a gargoyle on the roof peak.

Are you related to Izzy?? :D

Had a friend years ago that was in the Body Shop business. Worked his way to owning his own shop. Landed a HUGE customer that multiplied his income 10 fold. (started doing work for the largest auto wholesaler in this region) Izzy went from having 5-10 cars in shop at one time to renting a 20K sq ft facility to handle 150-200 cars at a time.

Anyways, with his new found financial freedom, he decided it was time to "move on up" in the world. Went and bought a nice 2 story 5/3/2 house in the Park Glenn area of N Ft Worth. Nice nice house on a Cul-De-Sac. Park Glenn is community of Homeowners Associations and have set rules on what can and cannot be done that might and might not effect others home values.

Well, Izzy has always been a free spirit and is very artistic. He bought this $220K at the age of 28(26??), but just wasn't mature enough to understand what deed restrictions were and what powers Homeowners Associations have. When he bought his red bricked house, it was trimmed out in a light tan finish. It was NICE, fit the neighborhood perfect. He decided to add his own "personality" to it. He painted the trim and the garage doors black, his front door bright red, had all the windows tinted with #5 Limo Tint, put up a black "Tombstone" in the front flowerbed as his address marker, painted flames on his brick mailbox, and cut the front off of a rusted out 60's something Cadillac, painted it jet black, and turned it into a planter under a window off to one side of the front of his house.

And, he painted his entire garage a dark flourescent maroonish color and put black lights up so that when he came home at night and pulled his custom painted Lexus into the garage, it looked like he was pulling into a glowing spaceship.

Let's just say after 6 months - a year, and thousands of dollars later, Izzy and his wife were back to being "normal neighbors". His neighbors may not be speaking to him yet, but at least they have their block back.:D

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
No homeowner's association, just city ordinances, which PaPa Joe (aforementioned gargoyle on roof) does not violate.

I lived somewhere with HOA before. Won't do it again. Not that my place looks circuslike, but I don't ask my mom's permission for a gazing ball, so I sure won't be beholden to anyone else.
"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Camper

Not a Member
I had every right to turn them in. I have every right to protect my property value.

With all due respect, one's desire to "protect" his/her property value shouldn't trump the rights of others to do as they want with their property as long as safety issues don't come into play. As a homeowner, myself, I couldn't careless what my neighbor(s) do, as long as it doesn't impact my safety. Case in point; Up until 7 years ago, I had a neighbor in back of me with 15 unregistered vehicles in his yard..Did I call the building Inspector?...NO...Was the value of my property adversely affected? Again, NO..In fact It was worth more back then than it is now, despite the fact that the aforementioned neighboring property is now a new raised ranch without the salvage yard in the front.

Bottom line..Property values are the domain of the free market forces, not arbitrary regulations.

This non-sensical obsession over property values is often nothing more than veiled descrimination against certain classes and races.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
With all due respect, one's desire to "protect" his/her property value shouldn't trump the rights of others to do as they want with their property as long as safety issues don't come into play. As a homeowner, myself, I couldn't careless what my neighbor(s) do, as long as it doesn't impact my safety.

This non-sensical obsession over property values is often nothing more than veiled descrimination against certain classes and races.

I would submit that if you went to a ghetto, and bought a house, and fixed it up to perfection, their own "housing authority" would take it upon themselves to robbing or trashing it out of jealousy; and that would be open discrimination against certain classes and races. Wouldn't it?

When in Rome... IOW, don't move into an affluent neighborhood if you can't afford, or are too lazy to keep up your responsibilities to the neighborhood.

You're right... sometimes it's taken too far. Some people are too anal about their home value. If you think, like I do, that people should have more latitude in what they do with their property, then do what I'm working towards, and buy 20 acres or so. I guarantee you won't have any neighbor problems.

Camper

Not a Member
I would submit that if you went to a ghetto, and bought a house, and fixed it up to perfection, their own "housing authority" would take it upon themselves to robbing or trashing it out of jealousy; and that would be open discrimination against certain classes and races. Wouldn't it?

When in Rome... IOW, don't move into an affluent neighborhood if you can't afford, or are too lazy to keep up your responsibilities to the neighborhood.

You're right... sometimes it's taken too far. Some people are too anal about their home value. If you think, like I do, that people should have more latitude in what they do with their property, then do what I'm working towards, and buy 20 acres or so. I guarantee you won't have any neighbor problems.

The problem is, zoning regs often do go too far and more often than not, they tend to be nothing more than social engineering agendas.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
The problem is, zoning regs often do go too far and more often than not, they tend to be nothing more than social engineering agendas.

Don't confuse "Zoning Regulations" with "City Ordinances".

Zoning Regulations are in place to help keep certain businesses and industrial entities, as well as family housing separated. You really wouldn't want a city where when you went down Main St it would be McDonalds, Mr and Mrs Smith, Mutual Steel Fabicators, The Jones Family, Bobs Used Cars, Thomas Tinker, and Chueys Laundromat all on the same block next door to each other. (Although, parts of Phoenix Arizona are just like this!!:confused:)

City Ordinances are in place so that Mr Smith and Mr Jones aren't at war with each other all the time cause Mr Jones is a Lazy Turd that only mows his yard once every six weeks, or because Mr Smith decided to build a fence around his property using Tin Cans, recycled steel panels, and 12 doors off an old barn he found.

There is nothing wrong with Zoning Laws or City Ordinances at all. They were created to keep peace within a City, and to help keep Cities somewhat aesthetically pleasing to attract more citizens and business owners that wish to live there or do business there.

Also, when it comes to "Homeowners Associations", I do honor their existence, but at times disagree with some restrictions that are brought forth upon the homeowners within that community.

Case in point in Frisco Texas a couple of years ago. Nice community built by a well known builder. Average home price in that neighborhood in the $400K range. Large Lots and either side or rear entry 3-4 car garages. Well to do guy bought house for his family to live there. Had 2 teenagers that had their own cars. (both expensive sports cars) Wife drove a really nice Escalade. His choice of vehicle was $40K Ford F150 quad cab that was one of those "Regency" Conversion type of trucks. Running boards, 2 tone paint, expensive rims and tires, etc. Well, he was a good father and allowed the kids to park in 2 of the houses garage spaces. His wife parked in the 3rd space, while the 4th space was used to hold all his lawn equipment, bikes, sports stuff, etc. Had to keep this stuff in the garage cause the Homeowners Association didn't allow outdoor "storage" buildings on property.

Now, he has a 4 car "side entry" garage on this house, and all 4 spaces were being used. Where was he to park his "PERSONAL" Truck??? He would just back down the side driveway, pass all the garage spaces, up against the black wrought iron fence surrounding the backyard, but still on his cobblestone driveway. His 'PERSONAL" truck could be seen from the street as you were passing by going down the street, but just for a brief second if you were staring hard enough.

Well, someone didn't like that "Truck" sitting in the driveway, called the Homeowners Association, and told 'em the guy was parking his WORK trucks in the neighborhood. Homeowners Association came and investigated, and declared his PERSONAL truck a WORK truck and issued him a warning. He told 'em to blow it out their wa-wa's, so they filed a Lawsuit against him. Court Battle ensued and he actually won. Made the News here and everything.

So, on this part, NO, I do not agree with what the Homeowners Association tried to pull with this idiot behavior. BUT, if the guy had painted his house bright pink and was a blight in that neighborhood, I would support any Lawsuit the Homeowners Association brought forth against him.

Interesting thread so far........................;)

Camper

Not a Member
I
Don't confuse "Zoning Regulations" with "City Ordinances".

Zoning Regulations are in place to help keep certain businesses and industrial entities, as well as family housing separated. You really wouldn't want a city where when you went down Main St it would be McDonalds, Mr and Mrs Smith, Mutual Steel Fabicators, The Jones Family, Bobs Used Cars, Thomas Tinker, and Chueys Laundromat all on the same block next door to each other. (Although, parts of Phoenix Arizona are just like this!!:confused:)

City Ordinances are in place so that Mr Smith and Mr Jones aren't at war with each other all the time cause Mr Jones is a Lazy Turd that only mows his yard once every six weeks, or because Mr Smith decided to build a fence around his property using Tin Cans, recycled steel panels, and 12 doors off an old barn he found.

There is nothing wrong with Zoning Laws or City Ordinances at all. They were created to keep peace within a City, and to help keep Cities somewhat aesthetically pleasing to attract more citizens and business owners that wish to live there or do business there.

Also, when it comes to "Homeowners Associations", I do honor their existence, but at times disagree with some restrictions that are brought forth upon the homeowners within that community.

Case in point in Frisco Texas a couple of years ago. Nice community built by a well known builder. Average home price in that neighborhood in the $400K range. Large Lots and either side or rear entry 3-4 car garages. Well to do guy bought house for his family to live there. Had 2 teenagers that had their own cars. (both expensive sports cars) Wife drove a really nice Escalade. His choice of vehicle was $40K Ford F150 quad cab that was one of those "Regency" Conversion type of trucks. Running boards, 2 tone paint, expensive rims and tires, etc. Well, he was a good father and allowed the kids to park in 2 of the houses garage spaces. His wife parked in the 3rd space, while the 4th space was used to hold all his lawn equipment, bikes, sports stuff, etc. Had to keep this stuff in the garage cause the Homeowners Association didn't allow outdoor "storage" buildings on property.

Now, he has a 4 car "side entry" garage on this house, and all 4 spaces were being used. Where was he to park his "PERSONAL" Truck??? He would just back down the side driveway, pass all the garage spaces, up against the black wrought iron fence surrounding the backyard, but still on his cobblestone driveway. His 'PERSONAL" truck could be seen from the street as you were passing by going down the street, but just for a brief second if you were staring hard enough.

Well, someone didn't like that "Truck" sitting in the driveway, called the Homeowners Association, and told 'em the guy was parking his WORK trucks in the neighborhood. Homeowners Association came and investigated, and declared his PERSONAL truck a WORK truck and issued him a warning. He told 'em to blow it out their wa-wa's, so they filed a Lawsuit against him. Court Battle ensued and he actually won. Made the News here and everything.

So, on this part, NO, I do not agree with what the Homeowners Association tried to pull with this idiot behavior. BUT, if the guy had painted his house bright pink and was a blight in that neighborhood, I would support any Lawsuit the Homeowners Association brought forth against him.

Interesting thread so far........................;)

While there are some distict differences in theory, in practice, both forms of regulations are often used interchangeably for the same purpose, social engineering(read: certain classes/races, etc. Not allowed).

It's all semantics. It reminds me of how the Republicans promise not to raise "taxes" yet impose new "fees" or when Democrats promise not to cut programs but instaed raise eligibility standards. The former is in essence a backdoor tax and the former is a backdoor cut.

Last edited:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I

While there are some distict differences in theory, in practice, both forms of regulations are often used interchangeably for the same purpose, social engineering(read: certain classes/races, etc. Not allowed).

This I totally disagree with.....

There are more Federal Laws in place that protects certain races and certain economic groups of people than that is needed. It's called "discrimination", and the laws in place to keep certain entities from discriminating against certain "classes", or certain "races" are very very closely watched.

There are No City Ordinances or Zoning Laws that keeps one from doing what is not allowed due to their race or their economic social status. A city cannot tell a Black Guy that he cannot open a car wash on Main St cause he's black. They can tell 'em he can't open that car wash cause it's not zoned for such use. (ie-traffic reasons, hours of operation, noise control, etc) And same rules would apply for everyone, whether they're white, black, tan, or pink.

Sure, all across the country Ordinances are being put in place that will not allow certain "illegal" aliens from renting apts and houses in certain cities, and they are being challenged by our Federal Figures. They are claiming it's Discrimination against Mexicans, but in reality, it's not. Same Ordinance would apply even if we had 14 million Illegal aliens from Canada, from Taiwan, Zimbabwe, or wherever. But because we have a huge illegal alien problem from Mexico, we are led to believe this is discriminating against Mexicans. In fact, the ordinances are being put in place to supplement existing Federal Laws that does not support illegal alien activity. But, bleeding liberalism needs all the help they can get, so if keeping the 14 million illegal MEXICANS in this country for support means that they have to force cities to break Federal Laws by allowing illegal mexicans to have access to housing in their city, then they could really care less if Laws are broken or not.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I find that unless the city or township are willing to actually put an effort into maintaining their obligation, then they should never ask homeowners to do their part to keep the city or township looking acceptable.

In my case I am fighting a battle over drainage ditches and incomplete work on the roads. When they came up with this great idea to pave the roads, they used money allocated for something else, bypassing all the state requirements and then made a few small corrections on the drains and finished off some owners' drives while ignoring others.

At this point, I have a washed out lawn on both sides, a flooded basement I am still working on and as of today, I am told that I am supposed to keep the drain clear of vegetation AFTER they came through and cleaned some of the other drains out.

Their obligation exceeds my obligation to maintain any of my property because their lack of maintenance of the essential services and their lack of cooperation to correct these issues damages my property and those around me.

On top of this, I find that most cities in the country are more concern with beyond the basic services and go for money over safety and peace. I can't help but ask why would a city layoff police and fire people but not building inspectors or enforcement officers?

Home owners associations to me are a very bad thing, it is reliquishing control of your basic property rights to someone who can and often has a control issue with other people. I have known people who paint their house and have to fight because they didn't get permission to paint the house. Also know one person who got fed up with the HOA after his house had a kitchen fire and he had to replace the back door which is not seen in the front. He could not find the correct matching door with the correct dimensions and he got fined for it. He ended up painting his house Smurf Blue to force the HOA to take him to court, they lost.

Oh by the way Brisco, Detroit and some of the 'burbs actually will force you to follow new 'building codes' because of your race. This has happened in both Southfield and Detroit to a number of White business owners.

Last edited:

clcooper

Expert Expediter
when i bought my house . the old lady before me . had flower beds all over the place and they were in real bad shape . and in areas i didnt want them . when i was doing the work one of my neibor were *****ing about it . i had more say how much better it looks now then the way it was . i bought the land you didnt . if you dont like i did you had the same chance as me to buy it . you should of and the you could of did the work the way you wanted . or you could of told me how you wanted it done and the paid for it . but it was my land , my money . not yours. yes if i was doing the work at 2 am and make alot of nosie you have a right to ***** . but be a MAN and knok on my door and ask me if i could stop makeing noise at 2am . because i wake you . DONT report me , or DEMAND i stop . the first time . yes if i dont stop then report me . i also had a hole dug to burn the horsr hair plaster in . another neiboir was building a house i said to him one day that i should fill the hole in and find somewhere else to take the plaster . he said not to worry about it yet . i was worried about it smoking up his house . when i would burn it . next thing i know i get a letter i have 10 days to cover the hole up (after his house is done ). i let it known i was man enough to say something to him first he say not to worry about it . but he wasnt man enough to knok on my door and ask me if i would fill it

yes we need zoning laws and Ordinances. but alot have gone to far .just because you dont park on your front lawn should everybody not park on theirs .

"""I tried the "Talk" with the neighbor route. Bruce down the street tried the "Talk" with his neigbor route, but like I said, Renters draw ignorance to your 'hood, and I THANK the "GUBMINT" for helping keep some of the ignorance down to a minimum. I'm not asking for more "restrictions" for these neighbors, I'm just asking for a little common sense respect, that's all. If their IGNORANCE causes more gubmint restrictions, then so be it. """

I AGREE but what are you going to say if it is your dog the next time or you are havng the party and the music is to loud . the party is easy for me turn it down . the dog can be a little harder to fix . and anybody that knows dog can uder stand not every dog owner can be professional dog trainers . or afford to take their dogs to a trianer . and the dog might be one of the ones that just wont be trianed . did you ever try to stop a dog from howling when the fire sirens go off . do you know why dogs do that .

so should we make laws because everybody cant be a professional in everything , or other thing that may be out of their contral . the problem i see is there are people who do try to fix the problem . the best that they can or know how to . should they be treat like the one that tell you to go screw your self and to mind your own business. that is the type of IGNORANCE that causes more gubmint restrictions,

this works both ways ""I'm just asking for a little common sense respect, that's all."" the ones that do try to fix the problem should be respected . like offer them help just stand there and keep *****ing

just like you if i walk up and tell you that you need to wash you tires .you would get ****ed at me .because i dont like dirty tires and you really dont care what your tires look like