Your Thoughts About Going to California?

broker

Seasoned Expediter
Yep, my drums are put away:D

ATeam, was wondering if you could tell some of us newbies about your truck?
Just from what I can see in the small pic, sure looks like one of the coolest out there.
Like year, model, engine, extras you added on etc.
BIG JOHN

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It is simple. You win 20 million in the lottery, you buy a couple of large apartment complexes, then you spend your days renting them out and doing maintenance. I can take 20 million and buy me 10 apartment complexes that will gross at least 2 million a year. So not only will you more than double your initial investment within a span of 20 years, you will spend your days working in empty apartments; painting them, recarpeting them, and making them clean and habitable for needy renters. All you gotta do is strike a good balance between work and financial freedom. Not to mention that you can leave the places to your kids, their kids, and their kids to run and have an income to fall back on in times of economic downturn. Most people who win the lottery go crazy, give all the money away, buy a bunch of useless crap, and then end up brok again. It's a shame.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Yep, my drums are put away:D

ATeam, was wondering if you could tell some of us newbies about your truck?
Just from what I can see in the small pic, sure looks like one of the coolest out there.
Like year, model, engine, extras you added on etc.
BIG JOHN

Why don't you just click on the links at the bottom of his post and see for yourself,I don't think he could make it any easier for you.

broker

Seasoned Expediter
Nice introduction there Doggie.
Let's see, you have 987 posts
I have 90.
You have been a EO member since June 2002
We have been members since Aug. 2008
You have been expediting for I think over 6 years.
We have been doing this for 3 months.

Think maybe I don't have a clue what you are talking about and that is the reason for the question.
Was it a big issue with you for me to compliment ATeam on their truck and ask for more details?

Most important, why do some feel it is their duty to reply for ATeam?

Seems I have walked into territory and might have asked questions that you are not suppose to.

I'm bringing the drums back out one last time.
Kathy and I admire and respect what ATeam has done for ATeam. They are a couple who are very smart and think things out very well.
We have since the start, taken what we thought was good advice and implemented it into our plans.
All has worked out just fine,
Reason, it was ideas that "WE" could use with "OUR" lifestyle.
We did not use evrything that ATeam suggested.

Now, all I have done, is point out what ATeam felt was so bad about California and try to show every state has it's problem and maybe not all feel the same about taking loads to Cal as they did.

Again, we will continue to read all of ATeams posts and maybe use somemore of his advice.

Nice to meet you also Doggie.:D
BIG JOHN

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I wouldn't presume to answer for Papa Dog, but I'm sure he responded simply out of giving you an expedient answer, rather than having you wait for ATeam to answer your question with the predictable, "Click the link in my sig."

"Sig" is short for Signature, which is something you can set up to be posted as an automatic "signature" on every one of your posts.

The link in the ATeam's signature,
where you can find the specs on the truck
---> Madsen Volvo Truck Specs

ATeam

Retired Expediter
What Doggie Daddy said. Click the truck specs link in my signature. DD's reply suits me just fine. I have been off line for a day and unable to respond as quickly as DD did. Answer is the same I would have given.

By the way, there is no way we would even begin to spec a truck like this in these economic times. Had then been now, we would have continued to run in fleet owner trucks and build more cash. Our truck worked out just fine, but that was in better economy days.

Returning to the California theme of this thread, new CARB rules affect everyone now thinking about a new (and even used) truck, reefer and generator. CARB is changing the game, not for the better, and not for the cheaper.

Last edited:

broker

Seasoned Expediter
The added comment;
" I DON"T THINK HE COULD MAKE IT ANY EASIER FOR YOU"
Was not called for and you both know it.
Doubt if you would have added that in your response ATeam

Thought I would try and exchange thoughts of this business we all of you here on EO.
Seems a lot of mind games are all some are interested in.

56 years old now, been there and done that when I was 12.
Not interested at this stage of my life.

I do wish all of you well in these unstable times.

For me, no reason to return to this site again:cool:
BIG JOHN

Almost forgot,
ATeam, that truck that took the cheap load from me that day, it was one of yours and had the reef, dual axles, liftgate, White Glove, etc.
Thought it was pretty funny myself, spend all that money on a truck and you end up with a 400 mile run paying 1.10 with a 9 cent FSC.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why is it people feelings are hurt when they do not get a reply they had preformed in their mind? Then so often they post in a way to try to get a dig in at another person? I was always taught the best way to get respect was to show respect.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
LOL... It would appear that some people are trying very hard to be offended. I mean, c'mon, the "truck specs" link is even highlighted in blue to make it stand out. Maybe you need to make it bigger Phil.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Why is it people feelings are hurt when they do not get a reply they had preformed in their mind? Then so often they post in a way to try to get a dig in at another person? I was always taught the best way to get respect was to show respect.

This also begs another question,why do people feel the need to announce that they are upset and taking their ball and going home,never to return here again.

And then after they say that,it's guaranteed that they will come back to read what people say about that announcement and add a few more choice comments? (I believe broker will be back).

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Almost forgot,
ATeam, that truck that took the cheap load from me that day, it was one of yours and had the reef, dual axles, liftgate, White Glove, etc.
Thought it was pretty funny myself, spend all that money on a truck and you end up with a 400 mile run paying 1.10 with a 9 cent FSC.

People take cheap freight for all kinds of reasons, some good, some not so good. The truck in question would not have been one of ours as Diane and I only own and operate one truckI assume you meant the truck runs with the same carrier we do.

I have no idea why the truck in question would have taken the load. Maybe it was for a good reason, maybe not.

I only know that we would not have taken that load. Had we been a third truck sitting in the lot and received the same offer, we would have been thrilled to see you or the other truck take the load.

It would take the pressure off us to haul it. It would take that truck off the board, making it more likely that we would receive a better offer later. It would occupy the truck for a while on low-paying or money-losing freight, which would weaken that truck's financial position and place us at a competitive advantage. We can continue to wait for freight that pays while weaker players continue to run cheap freight in a race to stay ahead of the bills.

Cheap freight runners work hard and put money in other people's bank accounts. Profitable freight runners work smart and put money in their own.

The more cheap freight other trucks haul, the better I like it. They cannot do so forever. Taking cheap loads hastens the process that must occur for truck capacity and available freight to rebalance at sustainable levels.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In theory that might work. But a lot of these budget companies just replace the fallen with fresh ones that don't know any better than the ones they are replacing.
It just amazes me how cheap some are operating at.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
See the question posed in another post about California...vis a vis expediting in CA. Since there is some talk at home of moving there, just curious what kind of freight opportunities are there. Do I need to convert into a reefer and get an APU. Can I more or less stay in California, with an occasional trip to Vegas or AZ.? I run solo, now in a Class 8 Century 6 wheel- I do not see converting the entire truck by adding a pusher axle either. Thx- U can send me a private email if U want.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
California is no different than any other state. Each state has its ups and downs and certain costs associated with taking a load there. You have to know what it costs to operate your truck and what your load opportunities are coming out of where you're going. There is not a part of this country I won't go to if the money is right.

"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it?" Luke 14:28