Your Thoughts About Going to California?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
California's congestion, deteriorating infrastructure and regulatory environment have presented special challenges to truckers for years.

I am told of a saying that comes out of East Texas that today seems especially appropriate in California. "Nothing is ever so bad that it can't get worse."

California Democrats and Republicans have failed, once again, to work together to solve that state's budget crisis (news story). As a result, the state is on the brink of a financial meltdown, which in many ways has already begun.

According to the Associated Press, "The budget crisis is dire: tax refund checks and payments to state vendors have been delayed; some 2,000 public works projects have been stopped because the state has no money to pay for them; and California's credit rating is so bad the state can't get loans."

The state's unemployment rate is well above the national average and now approaching 10%. This reduced economic activity will impact the state as a freight source and destination for truckers.

I mentioned Democrats and Republicans failing together in hopes of keeping this from becoming a political blame-fest thread. The getting-worse part that concerns me as a trucker relates to infrastructure project halts, fuel tax increases and the possibility that inbound truckers will be seen as an easy revenue source in a state that disparately needs revenue.

On the other hand, it might also happen that truck scale and enforcement operations are reduced as a cost-saving measure. State employees are being or will likely be furloughed because of the crisis. Scale cops do not have the political clout other employee groups do, so maybe, they will be furloughed at a higher rate? I don't know.

I do know that California is not alone in having a financial crisis. Reduced revenues and higher costs have moved numerous states into similar situations.

Looking at this as a trucker, I see less freight going in and out of California, infrastructure decay accelerating, the potential for increased fines in a state that is already over-regulated, higher sales tax to pay on goods we may buy while in California and higher fuel tax too (though only a gasoline tax is discussed in the news).

I guess we will still be willing to haul freight in and out of California, if the money is right. But with the additional costs and burdens mentioned above, the good people of California, who elected myopic neanderthals to represent them, and voted for a host of fiscally irresponsible ballot initiatives, should expect to pay more for the services we provide. As the costs of running in and out of California increase, so will our price to do so.

If our price puts us out of the California market, that is fine with me. One of the great things about being an expediter is the freedom we have to not drive into unprofitable markets and drive away from unprofitable areas. California is a good market for freight, but like any other customer, if they don't pay, we won't play.

Last edited:

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
California's congestion, deteriorating infrastructure and regulatory environment have presented special challenges to truckers for years.

I am told of a saying that comes out of East Texas that today seems especially appropriate in California. "Nothing is ever so bad that it can't get worse."

California Democrats and Republicans have failed, once again, to work together to solve that state's budget crisis (news story). As a result, the state is on the brink of a financial meltdown, which in many ways has already begun.

According to the Associated Press, "The budget crisis is dire: tax refund checks and payments to state vendors have been delayed; some 2,000 public works projects have been stopped because the state has no money to pay for them; and California's credit rating is so bad the state can't get loans."

The state's unemployment rate is well above the national average and now approaching 10%. This reduced economic activity will impact the state as a freight source and destination for truckers.

I mentioned Democrats and Republicans failing together in hopes of keeping this from becoming a political blame-fest thread. The getting-worse part that concerns me as a trucker relates to infrastructure project halts, fuel tax increases and the possibility that inbound truckers will be seen as an easy revenue source in a state that disparately needs revenue.

On the other hand, it might also happen that truck scale and enforcement operations are reduced as a cost-saving measure. State employees are being or will likely be furloughed because of the crisis. Scale cops do not have the political clout other employee groups do, so maybe, they will be furloughed at a higher rate? I don't know.

I do know that California is not alone in having a financial crisis. Reduced revenues and higher costs have moved numerous states into similar situations.

Looking at this as a trucker, I see less freight going in and out of California, infrastructure decay accelerating, the potential for increased fines in a state that is already over-regulated, higher sales tax to pay on goods we may buy while in California and higher fuel tax too (though only a gasoline tax is discussed in the news).

I guess we will still be willing to haul freight in and out of California, if the money is right. But with the additional costs and burdens mentioned above, the good people of California, who elected myopic neanderthals to represent them, and voted for a host of fiscally irresponsible ballot initiatives, should expect to pay more for the services we provide. As the costs of running in and out of California increase, so will our price to do so.

If our price puts us out of the California market, that is fine with me. One of the great things about being an expediter is the freedom we have to not drive into unprofitable markets and drive away from unprofitable areas. California is a good market for freight, but like any other customer, if they don't pay, we won't play.

I For One will NEVER EVER go Back to that God Forsaken State with all of those so Called wanna be Lawmakers and their Stupid Laws. As far as I'm Concerned they can "Blow" The Bridges and Let that Part of the U.S. Float Away........Nuff Said:mad:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The sad part of this is many other states are looking at the new CARB laws and are considering following the leader.

If the money is right we will also continue to go into California and our next truck will be specing for this.

moose

Veteran Expediter
as long as the load going in , pays enough for the fuel and time going back to earth , i will take it .
my truck is C.A approved , and i see it as an opportunity to drive to markets where less and less truckers are going .

some reading :

California's credit rating cut to lowest of all 50 states | Money & Company | Los Angeles Times

California puts small gas stations out of business. Once again government for those who can afford to play. The IUSB Vision Weblog

Here are the facts, plain and simple:

*California leads the country in spending on government employees.

*California spends twice as much as the national average on education (with dismal results).

*California spends almost $200 million per year on free college educations for illegal immigrants (no that’s not a typo).

*California has the most draconian anti-business rules and regulations in the nation. That forces businesses to spend too much. The result is that California is the most costly place in America to do business (according to the Milken Institute’s business cost index).

*California is heaven for trial lawyers and hell for small businesses. That could be why so many major employers have left the state (according to Investor’s Business Daily).

*California has the second highest income tax rates in all of America. And it is among the nation’s leaders in virtually every tax category possible- income taxes, business taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, taxes on real estate transactions, taxes on stock transactions, capital gains taxes, workers compensation taxes, the list is endless.

The results:
*Over the next 18 months, California is facing (according to the Governor) a budget deficit of over $40 billion dollars- and that may prove to be conservative.

*California is reduced to begging the federal government for a bailout. There is no other solution on the table. But one year after a federal bailout, the state would undoubtedly be $20 billion (or more) in debt again.

*California has been given the lowest bond ratings of any state in America (soon no one will dare to loan a penny to California). That little problem costs California’s taxpayers millions of wasted dollars per year in increased interest costs.

*In the 1970’s California led the nation in job growth. Since 2000, California’s job growth is 20% lower than the nation. But it’s not just any jobs that California is losing. According to the California Manufacturers and Technology Association, the state has lost 440,000 high-wage jobs.

*California’s unemployment rate is now the 3rd highest in the nation.

*In the 1970’s California was among the nation’s leaders in population growth. Last year, over 144,000 more people left California than moved in. That led the nation. This was the 4th straight year of out-migration. Why is that important? As more and more high-income and high-net worth individuals move out, homes will drop in value, small businesses will fail (as they lose customers), and taxes will rise on the remaining citizens (to replace the taxes no longer paid by those who have escaped).

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger should stand by a Washington D.C. freeway exit with a sign that says, “Broke. Need $40 BB handout. Will NOT work for food. We will spend it as soon as you give it to us- plus 20%. See you tomorrow.”

Moose.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
An industry-wide California compliance surcharge that covers the thousands of dollars of extra costs California regulations add to a truck would send an important message to shippers, California legislators and the states that model their laws on California.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is this the result of that tax revolt many years ago when the citizens did not want to pay their fair share for the services offered....and this is the cascading effect?

Twizted1

Seasoned Expediter
An industry-wide California compliance surcharge that covers the thousands of dollars of extra costs California regulations add to a truck would send an important message to shippers, California legislators and the states that model their laws on California.

Right on,there should be one

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am sure all of this will be followed by another bailout plan that moves the auto industry to CA.:rolleyes:
We have made quite a few runs out there with different trucks since the first of the year. So far, getting in and out isn't too bad.
We did find that once again the CARB folks spent all day at the TA (Ontario) writing tickets for idling trucks. Didn't say anything about our gen running. It is a rigmaster which isn't compliant.
I am sure that is coming though.
I do agree with Phil, if it becomes to much of a pain to run in there, then we will take it off the table. Pretty much where we are currently at with going into Canada. It either pays enough, or it doesn't happen.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am sure all of this will be followed by another bailout plan that moves the auto industry to CA.:rolleyes:
We have made quite a few runs out there with different trucks since the first of the year. So far, getting in and out isn't too bad.
We did find that once again the CARB folks spent all day at the TA (Ontario) writing tickets for idling trucks. Didn't say anything about our gen running. It is a rigmaster which isn't compliant.
I am sure that is coming though.
I do agree with Phil, if it becomes to much of a pain to run in there, then we will take it off the table. Pretty much where we are currently at with going into Canada. It either pays enough, or it doesn't happen.

I see quite a few P2 straights going to Saskatoon..at least western Canada doesn't have the limiter law.

broker

Seasoned Expediter
Apples to oranges?
California is a country all by itself.
I am a native resident from this great state.
Let me give some brief figures.
Over 37 million people call California home.
That is more than 12% of the entire population of America.
Texas is next at 24 million, that is 12 million less and only 7% of America.
To put this another way, 42 states have less than 10,000,000 residents.
6 states do not even have a population that reaches 1,000,000.

It is numbers game. The more people you have, the better the chances that mistakes will be made.
Do you know how many countries do not have a population of 37 million?

The only thing I will compare California with how other states are run, is it is part of America.

Does anyone ever complain about how Wyoming is run?
It has the smallest population in America.
Suppose that has something to do with it.

Sure is funny how much the rest of America will follow what California does.

In my lifetime I have lived in California, Florida, New York, Nevada and Iowa.
Traveled extensively in 48 states over the last 38 years and no 2 states are run the same.

Kathy and I, you can send us to any state anytime (including California)

BIG JOHN

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Apples to oranges?
California is a country all by itself.

Yes! a third world nation, sorry have felt deeply that way from my first run there.

When Bill Maher told Larry King that we to stupid to be governed I'm pretty sure the great republic of calf was on the short list of prim example of the statement.

In case you think i might be breaking the mother protocol that we wear reminded of in another post I'm not those are the nice things to say i could get much much worse and still be honest.

John i can not emote just how sorry i am for you having to have dealt with that mess for your formative years. but don't misdirect the pride you have in yourself for becoming a great person despite that state you did it yourself.

We take calf runs now ,c unit single screw 10k max load,if and when we move back up to a d with duel axles the money would have to be really good to go there then.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Indiana although not a large state has a surplus and a rainy day fund. We do not have overly high taxes when compared to all fifty states, but do have a governor that has a business background and has done much to turn this state around. For a rust belt state we are doing pretty well when compared to those around us.

Yes California does have many more people and yes the politicians there are the ones who made it the mess it is today.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT TAKE FREIGHT INTO CALIFORNIA!!

Instead,

Meet me at the AZ/CA border and I will gladly shuttle it in for you for a percentage. If enough people hate going into California I can see a very lucrative career for myself.

We are willing to suffer the following hardships in order to make this venture work.

1) Handing the border officer our BOL.
2) Waiting for 20 minutes while they perform another inspection and give us another sticker.
3) Force ourselves to go 55 mph.
4) Adjust the air in our seats to handle the rough roads.
5) Use our APU instead of idling.
6) Breath the smog as we drive in the 70 degree weather with our windows down and as we enjoy the nice cool air in the evening.
7) Enjoy some of the best Mexican food in the country (El Cholo) and visit some of the many other excellent dining options.
8) Enjoy the fresh fruits and vegetables at one of the many farmers markets,
9) Stock up at Trader Joes.
10) Walk the beach in our barefeet and enjoy the sun and cool breezes along with the view of the mountains.
11) Enjoy one of the many state parks along the ocean where you can have a cook out or go for a hike.
12) Visit one of the many Theme Parks or Movie Studios.
13) Attend a concert at the Hollywood bowl.

All this and much more!!!!! We can do this!

Please pm me if my shuttle service would help keep you from suffering and help you to enjoy your California free expediting career!

broker

Seasoned Expediter
I could find things wrong with every state in the good old USA.
Sales tax %'s would be the first issue.
Speed limits, road conditions, along with toll fees would be close behind.
The list is endless.

Don't feel sorry for me because I'm originaly from the Golden state.
Born in Sacramento and lived some of my adult life in the Napa Valley (around San Fran)
Spent much time running T/T up to Reno out of San Fran.

Everything is what you make it.

We sat last week for a LOOOONG time, waiting for the next load.
Everyday we parked the truck at a Wally World lot (asked first)
and would walk for miles, stopping when something drew our interest.
Sunday we found a great Baptist church service.
Met a fellow trucker and now have new friends in the Houston area.
Have a place to stay or be driven around for entertainment when in town again.

As posted above:
You can find and complain about the bad things in California or you can enjoy the good life it has to offer.

Anyone going there and wants to know more about the "good life" give me a call.
BIG JOHN

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Meet me at the AZ/CA border and I will gladly shuttle it in for you for a percentage. If enough people hate going into California I can see a very lucrative career for myself.

It may well come to that, but if your shuttle service is to be lucrative, your list needs to stick to business and money. I comment on it as follows:

1) Handing the border officer our BOL.

Border patrol check points are not a problem. There is no added value in hiring someone to shuttle expedited freight around those. The same applies to agriculture check points.

2) Waiting for 20 minutes while they perform another inspection and give us another sticker.

Also not a problem unless you are driving a non-compliant vehicle. Prepass helps you avoid many inspection points. The sticker is a benefit if you get one, not a liability. It saves you the cost of a DOT inspection later on. No added value in shuttling freight around California scales.

3) Force ourselves to go 55 mph.

No added value here either, at least for those of us who drive slow anyway to save fuel. I actually like the 55 mph speed limit.

4) Adjust the air in our seats to handle the rough roads.

Added wear and tear on a truck that runs mostly on rough roads needs to be priced into the shuttle service if you want to be profitable. Higher repair costs are real. Price them in.

5) Use our APU instead of idling.

The additional cost of the California-mandated DPF on the APU must be factored in to your shuttle price and spread across the loads you take into the state. Not cheap.

6) Breath the smog as we drive in the 70 degree weather with our windows down and as we enjoy the nice cool air in the evening.

Not a business consideration. Also, if weather is that good, why do you need to run the APU? The fact is, the weather is not that good in many areas and times in California. In-truck climate control is often needed.

7) Enjoy some of the best Mexican food in the country (El Cholo) and visit some of the many other excellent dining options.

That has nothing to do with the added value a shuttle service might provide to people who want to stay out of the state. The government cutbacks increase the risk of food poisoning as less inspections will be done. Higher sales tax (proposed) increase the cost.

8) Enjoy the fresh fruits and vegetables at one of the many farmers markets,

Same as item 7 above. Wasn't there just a big deal about poisoned produce that came out of California?

9) Stock up at Trader Joes.

Again, this has nothing to do with pricing the cost of moving freight in and out of the state. Sales tax is going up so the value of shopping in the state is diminished. Your higher taxes should be priced into your cost of doing business and offering your service.

10) Walk the beach in our barefeet and enjoy the sun and cool breezes along with the view of the mountains.

Been there, done that. Again, it has nothing to do with business. Fees at state beaches are likely to rise. Care of them is likely to decline.

11) Enjoy one of the many state parks along the ocean where you can have a cook out or go for a hike.

Same as item 10 above.

12) Visit one of the many Theme Parks or Movie Studios.

Again, this has nothing to do with doing business in the state.

13) Attend a concert at the Hollywood bowl.

Same as item 12 above.

All this and much more!!!!! We can do this!

You may very well be able to do it, but you will succeed at it only if you price it for profitability and people find added value in your service. Many of the equipment and monetary considerations that must be included in the shuttle service you describe must be considered by anyone going into California to pick up or deliver freight.

P.S. Don't forget the cost of cleaning graffitti off the truck and higher fees for oil disposal if you have an oil change done in California. Truck washes are higher priced. Water shortages may drive the prices higher. Be sure to price that in too.

If you register your truck in California, which you would do in your proposed shuttle service, those fees are going up. Be sure to price that in. Fuel costs are already higher in California than most other states. Don't forget those.

All this and much more!!!!!

At what point does it become more trouble than it is worth?

For Diane and me, it becomes more trouble than it is worth when the profitability of California freight drops below freight for other states. Risks of aggressive enforcement and high fines (as in being caught with a burned out light bulb that was not burned out when you pre-tripped the truck) must also be considered.

I'm not saying expediters should stay out of California. I am saying people shipping goods into and out of the state should pay the higher costs that running a truck in California involves.

Last edited:

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
A-team you might want to add the cost of 6 to 10 new tires somewhere into line 4 or 5 for replacement , because your truck is on blocks after getting back from your walk on the beach.

broker

Seasoned Expediter
ATeam,
I feel I have you folks figured out wrong.
From reading your post's, for many months, here was my conception of you folks.

Gave up anything and everything, that would be considered a normal lifestyle (along with the normal American debts)
I think that is still true.

That you have spent much time computing how to be profitable for those sacrifices.

That the box behind you is your home (not your home away from home)

That because of your good business sence, you can afford to turn down not so profitable loads.

Now for the one I think I was wrong about.
You are the type who does not let things you have no control over, upset you. That you deal with these things as part of life and make the best of a situation.
Like "it is just a bump in the road today and will be gone tomorrow"

You know, we got the criminal type inspection at the Canada border once. The whole time we kept pleasent and smiled.
At the end (45 minutes), the officer reached out to shake my hand and said it was a pleasure having a driver who respected what he had to do (his job)
Gave me a card with his name on it, so if we ever had an issue at the border, give them his card (to call him) and he would help us out.

Same happened on a local DOT stop.

Why so gloom and doom about California?
Next time, get in there and get away from the truck for awhile.
Enjoy the lifestyle you have sacrificed so much for.
It is not all about business and profit.
Look at it the same as a "normal job" getting home on a Friday and having the weekend off and go to SUNNY CALIFORNIA.:p

You aren't getting burnt out are you ATeam?

You don't know this but you are one of the reasons Kathy and I are doing this (3 month newbies).
We would read your post's and felt if you could do it we could.
You were a driving force.
BIG JOHN

Reactions: 1 person

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Before I stoped driving for the Person I had driven for, for the last 3 1/2 Years. I just want to say thank all of you that didn't want to do the CA Runs, as it made me a paycheck. 55mph in CA don't bother me. (It's a Living)

I hope the spelling was correct, along with the proper grammer usage as well.

By the way I worked out Yesterday, and also went Running, ran about 4 miles and some change.

I'm up here in the Petro at the 178B off of 81 in PA.
Dupont, Avoca Pa what ever U want to call it.

I'm bored to tears So any one that don't want to go to CA or VEGAS I'LL GO!! I'LL GO!! I'LL GO!!

Happy Presidents DAY.

Last edited: