Your ideas

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
O.K. So all my ideas about a truckers strike for better pay, lower fuel prices, and less intervention from the gov have been stomped on so before i face the E.O. lynch mob I would like to hear some positive ideas from the rest of the peanut gallery. The way it appears now is that everyone seems to be scared to stand up in unity for our profession it saddens me to see the american trucker this beat down by big corperate and uncle sam that means we lost and they won. this is exactly what they want. With us all beat down and scared maybe we should hang white flags on our C.B. antennas and play taps as were backing into the loading dock. I hate to see my hardworking brothers living like there's no hope. I believe it is what we make it and in unity we have the power to change it or we can sit back and do nothing and watch the american trucker loose hope, vision, and good work ethic and everything he owns.
THATS ALL

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not really against a strike if that's what you want to do but the affects have to be considered to achieve the desired results. Myself i am a van guy and treated fair if i felt otherwise i would do something else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't live like there's no hope in trucking - can't relate to it. I set the rate my truck rolls for and do just fine. That would be my idea to you and others who feel the same.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
What you would be striking against are the tards who would take low rates to pay for fuel home, and hot dogs. As long as they're out there, the brokers would cater to them.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did someone say hotdogs?

moose

Veteran Expediter
I won't strike !
(but i will be willing to 'happened to be off the road', taking some well deserved snow-birding vacation @ the time).
O'h, & the L1 minions can loan you their 'drive less - make more' signs.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The reason all your ideas about a truckers strike for better pay, lower fuel prices, and less intervention from the gov have been stomped on is because you're not the first one to bring it up. The same ideas always get stomped on, because it's a fantasy that won't work with people. It barely works on paper.

Strike, unity, brothers: these are all union terms. They fit well in a union shop where there are strike funds, and a picket line can be set up and you can threaten those with bodily injury if the line is crossed. But they are not terms that are often used or have any place in an industry populated with independent contractor owner/operators. We are not employees, we're management.

The quicker you can lose the employee union mentality, the better the likelihood of you succeeding in this business. You are the owner of a small business. Act and think like it. Or don't.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Can't get enough to stand together. Sounds like you just need a Boycott against certain company's. Even then it's a stretch.
I won't strike against my customers they treat myself and my drivers like their the only trucks on the road and can't live w/out us. That's reason enough for me. They pay well too.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I'm on strike right now! I'm sick and tired of the way my employer treats me! I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!! I mean it this time! I'm really, really mad at me!!!!!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh I don't know a few thousand farm tractors that surrounded downtown Toronto really made an impact and they are independent businessman

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Unless it had the support of ALL the major truck carriers, it wouldn't even come close to getting off the ground.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I won't strike !
(but i will be willing to 'happened to be off the road', taking some well deserved snow-birding vacation @ the time).
O'h, & the L1 minions can loan you their 'drive less - make more' signs.

At least our signs are free how much did your little signs cost you OOIDA?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
1st, i am self employed and own my own van..who do i strike against?
2nd, i don't do this to pay my household bills..
3rd, I run a sprinter type van, and i am paid well and treated great my the carrier I lease to
4th, you strike, i'll haul freight..
5th, I was raised in a union household by a dad that became a union offical..he always said, no 1 wins in a strike..i believe him
6th, as was pointed out, your thoughts and verbage are straight from the union handbook..and they ring of a "emplyee mentality....

So, other then the above, if you really feel the need, have at it...but be prepared to be alone for the most part, possibly end up broke and bankrupt...Might be better to just change professions if you are that unhappy...Me, i am retired enjoyin life and seein the country..you know, a "paid vacationer"...

moose

Veteran Expediter
OVM, the pride currency is yet to be invented, i'm still working on it.
& it didn't cost a dime. it made me money. A LOT OF MONEY. my carrier specialty is show trucks. we have many dozens of those. it's how we roll. many of our customers take great pride in serving their customers with nice looking rigs.
this is Jeff: a good friend :Long Haul Truck WINS at Waupun Truck Show | Long Haul Trucking this is an FLEET truck. Co. driver. the results are we can retain the best paying costumers. like the load i will do this week. one load dedicated customer. 4,800$ in my bank account for the week.(after all fuel,Carrier deductions,insurance, P/N, Ext.- in the bank!). this is a slow week.sorry.
i tried to explain it to your boss, but he won't bite. i might have to place a few show trailers with LoadOne next year just to prove my point.i might.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Higher fuel prices should mean higher income if your with the right company.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Well your in a van, & thank gods for that !

Attachments

• fr_scoobydoo.jpg
    fr_scoobydoo.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 64

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes i am an o/o and I am blessed to be with A small carrier who treats me well and i will always look after his and his customers best interest thats what i do be that as it may i have been in the transportation industry over 33 years it seems things have gotten worse instead of better maybe it's just the economy. i know it's cheaper to make diesel than gas but yet it's more expensive I remember when it was cheaper I personally would like to see less gov envolved in when i drive and how long. It seems like we have to work harder to make what we used to again maybe it's the economy. Although i'm not one of them i see alot of hard working drivers at the truckstops with horror stories of how they are treated and what they are running for and hear alot of the same complaints on this site it was on those complaints i decided to speak instead of sitting on the sidelines and saying thats their problem. Just thought i would try to help.I do not have a union card nor a manual but i do believe in unity, helping others, and i call the rest of you guys my brothers and if your in my neck of the woods and need anything all you have to do is ask. something i learned early in life being in a m.c. I' going to have to learn how to type if I keep doing these long posts

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
4th, you strike, i'll haul freight.

this statement alone is why a strike today doesnt have a chance, People walk past a picket line and act like the guy striking is the bad guy, when hes trying to get better pay, benefits, a pension, Insurance, yet the non union guy who has this mentality...YOU STRIKE ILL DELIVER FREIGHT...drives a stake right thru this guys life, his ability to negotiate, to get the MAN to come to the table and negotiate,,,,not today theres far too many guys who have it good, because someone somewhere stood in the cold, in the rain and made it possible to negotiate with the MAN...and the MAN has respect for that ability....because when many thousands of strikers stand together they get respect, they get a raise, they get better conditions....for everyone Union or Not...even in Right to work states the car plants offer good wages packages because of a LIVING WAGE standard fought for by UNIONS...

But when 900 out of 1000 guys walk past the picket line and say I, ME and forget that they are actually WE....They let those 100 guys get fired and never think they just lost the ability to stand and demand better things for all of them, Ya its a Union Handbook, Ya its right outta the Teamsters and many other Unions...but with whats happening today, National Right to work, wages, benefits, Oil Prices all being manipulated by who....THE MAN....workers dont stand up, there now SHEEPLE and the SHEEPLE never stand together because they think about only themselves not what the future could be, should be....strength in numbers has been beaten into submission by politicians who say Unions caused this countrys ills and cost jobs and factorys to leave the country....

BULL$HIT....The sheeple get there education from the TV and the information comes form the MAN...The Sheeple believe in it hook line and sinker...while the 1% get richer and richer and richer...and the wages are lowered and the benefits taken away, and Medicare and Medicaid are called Entitlements and who cares anymore because the Sheeple believe whatever is fed to them outta that box......

I stood in picket lines and watched truckloads of men be brought into a plant and familys lose everything when half the men gave up and left the other half to be fired...because they believed what the MAN says, when after the strike most of them lost there jobs and replacements were paid as much as 12 dollars per hour less....lost benefits, pensions and men who had worked there 3o years lose the PENSION they earned, it wasnt an entitlement like they call it now,,,,30 years standing next to a Blast Furnace.....to lose your benefits and Insurance see your wages cut in half....Chinese SLAVES are paid 94 cents a week, less then 340 dollars a year...SLAVES...

Ya my Father was a Union man and Id stand in a picket line if it meant a better future, and life for my family ANYDAY...and your family....ORGANIZED LABOR made AMERICA, now people paint LABOR as a bad guy, we want too much, we demand too much.....WE GET PAID TOO MUCH.....because we had the balls to stand as ONE VOICE...ONE GROUP...ONE VOTING BLOCK....
Todays theyve divided the American people and told people you cant strike, well move to China, well close the plant, well take your benefits.....THEN WHOSE GONNA BUY YOUR CHEAP CHINESE CRAP...The Sheeple thats who...The Sheeple !!!!

Ya its a rant but I have strong family ties to LABOR and endured several long strikes while I do alright in trucking and make a living, if Fuel prices were 1 dollar a gal, and Insurance and Licenses and on and on less because of the ridiculous way Government and States shove there hands so far down my pants and again we dont say a thing, WE THE SHEEPLE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA....we allow this and never say a thing because we think we cant make a difference...

I believe thats what Aqquitted wants is to make a difference, and together we do make a difference. Stop accepting the BS and ask why, Get involved.....VOTE and make a difference.

RANT OVER

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is sort of a double edge sword isn't it....the anti union especially auto workers group....are so happy and dancing in the streets that their wages and benefits were cut...but yet claim Obama did away with the middle class working person?...well doh...there ya go....all these wage cuts...anyone see the price of cars going down?...No?....shareholders checks getting bigger as the stock rises...?
I am not a big union supporter, but I can sure see the irony of things...