You'll take it from my cold dead fingers!

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I gotta admit that I'm on your side on this issue Streakin, I just don't agree with the pig references.

I realize that there are many LEO's out there that have no business wearing the badge, but the majority of them are professionals doing a tough job and don't deserve this kind of disrespect.

No, they're not. The majority are psychopaths. I'm sure you could find some decent ones if you tried.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Not going to wait till your dead and cold..they are coming after ya now while your alive and well..

U.S. News - US calls for ban on in-car phone use ... even with Bluetooth

US calls for ban on in-car phone use ...
Updated at 1:45 p.m. ET: The government's transportation safety experts recommended Tuesday to ban all American drivers from using portable electronic devices — including cell phones, even if you use a hands-free device.

The recommendation, which isn't binding but which is likely to influence the decisions of Congress and state legislatures in writing new safety laws, makes only two exceptions: You could still use GPS navigation devices, and you could use your cell phone in an emergency.

Besides calling for government action, the NTSB also urged consumer electronics manufacturers to figure out a way to "disable the functions of portable electronic devices within reach of the driver when a vehicle is in motion" while at the same time allowing the driver to make a call in an emergency.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I just hold a sign up in the window saying I am not allowed to open the door and that I will follow them to the nearest police station....let's say I know this P.O.'s cops, cause there is nothing they can do about it. This only works in an armoured car though:rolleyes::D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Not going to wait till your dead and cold..they are coming after ya now while your alive and well..

Updated at 1:45 p.m. ET: The government's transportation safety experts recommended Tuesday to ban all American drivers from using portable electronic devices — including cell phones, even if you use a hands-free device.

The recommendation, which isn't binding but which is likely to influence the decisions of Congress and state legislatures in writing new safety laws, makes only two exceptions: You could still use GPS navigation devices, and you could use your cell phone in an emergency.

Besides calling for government action, the NTSB also urged consumer electronics manufacturers to figure out a way to "disable the functions of portable electronic devices within reach of the driver when a vehicle is in motion" while at the same time allowing the driver to make a call in an emergency.

A 19 yr old texts 11 times in 11 minutes, then wrecks his 4 wheeler, causing multiple fatalities, and that's reasonable grounds for prohibiting all drivers from using handsfree cellphones?
That's just NUTS.:mad:

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Why would anyone be proud to be american the way they are turning this country inside out?

So is the government going to reimburse me the $139 I paid for the headset I want be able to use if this law is passed?

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
A 19 yr old texts 11 times in 11 minutes, then wrecks his 4 wheeler, causing multiple fatalities, and that's reasonable grounds for prohibiting all drivers from using handsfree cellphones?
That's just NUTS.:mad:

Well the studies will continue until they find a way to create a whole new industry out of this issue and then decide who will profit from it.
I gotta believe there will be such noise from the motoring public now that this directly effects them that it maybe some time before this goes in effect?? Not even taken into account how much business and revenue will be lost. Millions of $ are moved as drivers are talking and moving up and down our roads..

I haven't read allot on this wreck everyone is talking about but it kinda sounds like everyone involved was the cause of this.Violating a law thats already on the books and not enforced and that would be FOLLOWING to CLOSE..Rember when they taught us about keeping a safe distance from the one in front of ya. I think both the public and our traffic enforcement have total thrown this one out.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'd say the problem was distracted driving [compounded by immaturity and the invulnerability that teenagers usually feel].
Distracted driving is THE problem, and restricting cellphones isn't the answer [they're a distant 3rd in the list of frequent distractions], it's just the one officials can document. And issue fines & generate revenue against.
As DaveKC said, it's about the revenue. As usual. :mad:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

There will be no end to it. Talking on a hand held phone isn't a major problem with drivers. Now they will ban blue tooths as well? Because they think you will be distracted by talking while driving? That's going too far. The phones now have too many functions like text, internet etc. that cause distractions,but not talking. What will be next smoking? Doesn't a person have to take there hand off the wheel to light up, puff the cigarette, and dipense of it? Plus the fact that smokers light up frequently while driving. They are constantly taking there hands off the wheel. Only a matter of time before they ban this too.:rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't forget nose picking. Sneezing, coughing etc. Don't change stations on the radio, no water or coffee. Don't scratch. Don't blink. And on it goes.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I have 2 phones,verizon,text and internet blocked,use with blue tooth in truck
Sprint,always set on GPS.very seldom make calls,but do use internet when in truck stop.If in truck,use lap top.
Gary,proud of ya

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
There will be no end to it. Talking on a hand held phone isn't a major problem with drivers. Now they will ban blue tooths as well? Because they think you will be distracted by talking while driving? That's going too far. The phones now have too many functions like text, internet etc. that cause distractions,but not talking. What will be next smoking? Doesn't a person have to take there hand off the wheel to light up, puff the cigarette, and dipense of it? Plus the fact that smokers light up frequently while driving. They are constantly taking there hands off the wheel. Only a matter of time before they ban this too.:rolleyes:
what about when lite falls into lap

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't forget nose picking. Sneezing, coughing etc. Don't change stations on the radio, no water or coffee. Don't scratch. Don't blink. And on it goes.

Until the final rule: both hands must be kept at 10 & 2 position on steering wheel, visible to LEOs at all times.
Learn to flick the turn signal lever with your elbow or foot, I guess.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Until the final rule: both hands must be kept at 10 & 2 position on steering wheel, visible to LEOs at all times.
Learn to flick the turn signal lever with your elbow or foot, I guess.

Can't turn on your defroster, headlights etc. unless you pull over :rolleyes: How about shifting... heck just leave it in 1st.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I read some enterprising guy has an app for this issue, with one of them fangled smarty phones, it wipes the call log clean every call made and wipes all the texts out of memory when one is sent and after it is read.

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
Who's to say if I was driving or at a rest area, maybe pulled over on the shoulder when I was talking or texting. Unless I was seen in the act, there is no proof. I use bluetooth and can push a button on the device, say a name , and the phone will dial. The phone could be anywhere in my truck.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
If they go to all vehicles, my bluetooth is voice recognition through my truck's sound system. I push a button located on my steering wheel, conveniently located near the 2 o'clock position, then tell it who to dial. I don't know how much more the Federales expect. Hands never leave the wheel or eyes off the road. Unless I drop an M&M.

They cut the number of hours big trucks can be on the road without thought to safe haven or slowing down of freight, now they want to put a stranglehold on the most necessary piece of technology in the cargo industry? Slicing away at our own economy? Nuts.

I still SMH when I think about the Flint City police officer I saw last year, in uniform behind the wheel of a cruiser, stopped at a light: cellphone in one hand, lit cigarette in the other. Nice example.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Can't turn on your defroster, headlights etc. unless you pull over :rolleyes: How about shifting... heck just leave it in 1st.

Is it any less reasonable than mandatory rest times, when they know there aren't enough [safe & legal] places for trucks to park? HOW we do it isn't their concern, they just issue fines if we don't do it.