Would real expediters?

Camper

Not a Member
Indeed you are correct to question should they be driving a truck.
Consider this for a moment. You have taken on a load that will :)deliver at 9:30 am on a Monday morning @ Jacob Javitts Convention Center 655 W. 34th St. NY, NY 10001 . With your handy “whatever brand GPS” you takeoff to make your delivery.
With the scenario above in mind I have a few easy questions. Has your GPS included routing that will take you on a parkway? What side/entrance of the convention center will you deliver to? Have you planned for a post trip layover prior to your delivery? I would envision a formally trained GPS driver as being able to respond to the questions with the correct answers.
Thank you very much for you comment.

Before the genesis of GPS, we had road maps. If memory serves me correct, many, if not all in the industry got along just fine without any "formal" training on map utilization.

Your idea, while noble in theory doesn't have any real practical use. Some things don't/shouldn't need explanation or training. Aside from a couple incidental questions a Luddite might have, a GPS is about as much a no brainer tool as a hammer or a screwdriver. You wouldn't hire(at least I hope not) a carpenter who couldn't figure out a hammer or screwdriver without "formal" training, why would you hire a driver who couldn't figure out a GPS without "formal" training or instruction?

Last edited:

PTN2011

Seasoned Expediter
Before the genesis of GPS, we had road maps. If memory serves me correct, many, if not all in the industry got along just fine without any "formal" training on map utilization.

Your idea, while noble in theory doesn't have any real practical use. Some things don't/shouldn't need explanation or training. Aside from a couple incidental questions a Luddite might have, a GPS is about as much a no brainer tool as a hammer or a screwdriver. You wouldn't hire(at least I hope not) a carpenter who couldn't figure out a hammer or screwdriver without "formal" training, why would you hire a driver who couldn't figure out a GPS without "formal" training or instruction?

Thanks again for your input. Could you comment on the questions put forth in the scenario in NY NY. Thank you

Camper

Not a Member
Thanks again for your input. Could you comment on the questions put forth in the scenario in NY NY. Thank you

I think the questions you raised have been pretty well addressed by the various responses to this thread.

If there's a stone that remains unturned on this topic, I'm not seeing it. Perhaps someone else who sees it can turn it over. :confused:

Last edited:

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I believe Ms. LouHoo is a Graduate of the school the original post is asking about. Maybe she will share costs & qualifications for eligibility. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My thought is yes to the need. As to Teaching about units/programs. Well, the idea is to educate. An outline of what should be taught needs development to be certain. Higher pay? Maybe.

'Higher pay' being anathema to many carriers [and all shippers & receivers], why would they pay more for truckers to do exactly what they've always done - find the place in spite of all the obstacles [no addresses on buildings, street signs on corners, new company name, wrong directions, etc] and get there on time, too?
That's funny - higher pay. :rolleyes:

PTN2011

Seasoned Expediter
'Higher pay' being anathema to many carriers [and all shippers & receivers], why would they pay more for truckers to do exactly what they've always done - find the place in spite of all the obstacles [no addresses on buildings, street signs on corners, new company name, wrong directions, etc] and get there on time, too?
That's funny - higher pay. :rolleyes:

Truly I'm sorry if I implied higher pay in the form you describe.
I was inclined to think that better trip and route planning through GPS training would lead to more of your hard earned money staying in your pocket.
Again, my apology for not being more specific.

TS462

Seasoned Expediter
I think the one thing most are missing from this is.... A GPS is a tool just like a hammer or any other tool... And if you have no idea of how to use this tool. All your going to do is end up hitting your thumb and cussing alot.. So how about a class in common sense... I'm pretty sure that would more useful than how to power on your gps IMO.. As far as going into the city i wouldn't take the load it sucks to go there

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
In another thread on a equally as goofy topic. Steady Eddie wrote:

Look folks....99.9% of us are wrong. The 00.1% has the right idea by pulling a trailer. You will not be able to make the 99.9% of us to prove the 00.1 % is headed for a train wreak. The OP had his mind already made up....let him live and learn, as long as he doesn't die and forget it all.,.,

The same basic applies here..he is right everyone else is wrong and you ain't goin to change his mind..at least he would have a chance os die'n to prove his point...:rolleyes:

Personally, I have my opinion on these type of post that come up from time to time with a ne poster asking one or 2 or 5 off the wall questions then disappearing into the abiss...but I have been told i am just picking on others so I'll leave it to myself...:D

But I think more then a few are "visiting" and laughing their butts off at this type of "chain jerking"....:rolleyes:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In another thread on a equally as goofy topic. Steady Eddie wrote:

The same basic applies here..he is right everyone else is wrong and you ain't goin to change his mind..at least he would have a chance os die'n to prove his point...:rolleyes:

Personally, I have my opinion on these type of post that come up from time to time with a ne poster asking one or 2 or 5 off the wall questions then disappearing into the abiss...but I have been told i am just picking on others so I'll leave it to myself...

But I think more then a few are "visiting" and laughing their butts off at this type of "chain jerking"....

If that is true, and I knew who they were, I'd thank them. For getting folks involved, thinking about whatever it is - thinking is not a bad thing, we ought to be doing it on a regular basis. The thought involved in crafting a response that says "Uh uh!" without crossing the line is even better.
Well, better than hitting the game room with a handful of quarters, anyway. :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
HammerCertificate.jpg

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I believe Ms. LouHoo is a Graduate of the school the original post is asking about. Maybe she will share costs & qualifications for eligibility. :rolleyes:

Not with you. Ever. You just wait for me to post anything and just jump on it, don't you. Are you misogynistic, threatened by me, a cyberstalker or just have an overwhelming crush on me? Gotta be one of the four...and believe me, I am not "flattering myself" with the crush implication, before you wanna try to be cute and go there...matter if fact, I threw up in my mouth a little when I typed that.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Will the classroom be in a really small camper pulled behind a cargo van?

PTN2011

Seasoned Expediter
Truly bizarre comments. As I stated before I did spend a bit of time reading previous posts on EO and it does seem the regular posters are spending to much of their efforts trying to be funny.
Maybe I expected.... More.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Truly bizarre comments. As I stated before I did spend a bit of time reading previous posts on EO and it does seem the regular posters are spending to much of their efforts trying to be funny.
Maybe I expected.... More.
The reason many are spending so much time trying to be funny is because it's a funny topic. It's silly. It's akin to taking an instructional class on the many various and sundry ways of reading a digital clock, and then graduating the class with a certificate. It's like having a degree in being a certified professional in how to open up a laptop and turn it on, with a minor in mousing.

Being a GPS geek, instructed or self-taught, doesn't WOW anybody. And it's silly to think it would. That's why it's funny.

ANYBODY can use a GPS. ANYBODY

large_Tricycle_with_GPS_Funny_Pictu.jpg

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
ANYBODY can use a GPS. ANYBODY

large_Tricycle_with_GPS_Funny_Pictu.jpg

<pjjjjj> comes out of the closet, slowly and shyly raises her hand and says, 'don't be so sure about that' :(

At least one of us here on EO is severely technotarded and does MUCH better with a paper map.