Would real expediters?

PTN2011

Seasoned Expediter
I apologize upfront for this question as it does spin-off the thread about real expediters and their use GPS tech.
If a program were developed for truck drivers to be educated in the use GPS tech, would they want to receive such education?
I’m thinking along the lines where by a driver would be instructed, tested and receive formal credentials. Credentialing that would indicate a title upon completion, such as… Certified Commercial Vehicle Navigator.
Offering the program with testing and credentialing to new and older drivers could further the view of a truck driver as a professional.
Any thoughts?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I apologize upfront for this question as it does spin-off the thread about real expediters and their use GPS tech.
If a program were developed for truck drivers to be educated in the use GPS tech, would they want to receive such education?
I’m thinking along the lines where by a driver would be instructed, tested and receive formal credentials. Credentialing that would indicate a title upon completion, such as… Certified Commercial Vehicle Navigator.
Offering the program with testing and credentialing to new and older drivers could further the view of a truck driver as a professional.
Any thoughts?

Is there a need for this at all? There are so many units/programs out there, which ones would be taught? What would be the purpose? Higher pay?

PTN2011

Seasoned Expediter
Is there a need for this at all? There are so many units/programs out there, which ones would be taught? What would be the purpose? Higher pay?

My thought is yes to the need. As to Teaching about units/programs. Well, the idea is to educate. An outline of what should be taught needs development to be certain. Higher pay? Maybe.

PTN2011

Seasoned Expediter
A GPS is pretty much a no brainer to use. :confused:
Pretty much,
However a brain trained to use it maybe a better choice.
Imagine you hire a driver to drive your truck that has been gps trained. Would you prefer he tell you he has received training or that using a gps is a no brainer?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pretty much,
However a brain trained to use it maybe a better choice.
Imagine you hire a driver to drive your truck that has been gps trained. Would you prefer he tell you he has received training or that using a gps is a no brainer?

I'd prefer he not mention it.

Camper

Not a Member
With all due respect, if someone needs "training" on use of a GPS(one of, if not the most user-friendly device I know if) then perhaps you wouldn't want them behind the wheel of your truck. Chances are there are far more complicated things they're likely to struggle with. :confused:

While the idea of a formal training program is admirable, such a program should be dedicated to the more fundamental aspects of the business, such as defensive driving and vehicle maintenance, IMHO.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As soon as I'm done getting my degree in retractable ink pen I'll sign up. I'm having a problem though. Instead of push, write, push, I keep going push, push. The professor says he has confidence in me and I should keep trying.

Monty

Expert Expediter
imho, the world is already full of over educated idiots. (Not a reflection on the original poster). We have folks sitting around thinking up just such secarnarios in a postion to implement them!

The use of too much water to flush your toilet in one operation, (so flush it twice). :confused:

Your showerhead uses to much water, (so dont enjoy the hot water on high) :confused:

And while yer at it, WHY are using so much hot water in the first place? :confused:

Nevermind the the flickering, mercury containing CFL lights may cause siezures in elepitics. (Just by the Chinese produced bulbs and keep quite!) :confused:

Don't grow any produce in the San Joaquin Valley, because diverting water from the Sacrememto River, (next stop the ocean), because it may reduce the population of a bait fish. (No worries that it killed an industry and sent 10,000's of illegal Mexicans home) Wait! This may be agood thing?

Yea, imho, opinion, we have to many "thinkers" now .... bring back a few mule headed people to see what is really needed!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Any thoughts?

**** Just get a large map of the USA with the interstates on it, and pop a chalkline from Point A to point B and there u go. Its a carpenters way to a happy day.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
This question reminds me of a "Far Side" cartoon. There is a large building with a sign on across the top that reads "School for the Gifted" The sign on the door Say's "Pull" the student trying to get in is pushing.:p

PTN2011

Seasoned Expediter
With all due respect, if someone needs "training" on use of a GPS(one of, if not the most user-friendly device I know if) then perhaps you wouldn't want them behind the wheel of your truck. Chances are there are far more complicated things they're likely to struggle with. :confused:

While the idea of a formal training program is admirable, such a program should be dedicated to the more fundamental aspects of the business, such as defensive driving and vehicle maintenance, IMHO.

Indeed you are correct to question should they be driving a truck.
Consider this for a moment. You have taken on a load that will :)deliver at 9:30 am on a Monday morning @ Jacob Javitts Convention Center 655 W. 34th St. NY, NY 10001 . With your handy “whatever brand GPS” you takeoff to make your delivery.
With the scenario above in mind I have a few easy questions. Has your GPS included routing that will take you on a parkway? What side/entrance of the convention center will you deliver to? Have you planned for a post trip layover prior to your delivery? I would envision a formally trained GPS driver as being able to respond to the questions with the correct answers.
Thank you very much for you comment.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I was going to move forward with such an idea, and I wouldn't even with being one who loves the entrepreneurial spirit and has had many ventures in their life time I see no real return on investment with it. The first thing I would do is not limit myself to the trucking market, the gps users in this country in 4 wheelers far out number those in trucks so why limit yourself to a niche market like trucking.

Have you considered the investment of time and money this would take. Even within just the trucking industry there are numerous gps manufacturers and they all work differently, even different models within a product line can be different. New models come out all the time and you would need to invest and keep updated on each one. Most new trucks have an option of an installed you would need to keep updated on those.

That said if you really have the dream follow it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Any thoughts?

Phil put you up to this, didn't he.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Would you prefer he tell you he has received training or that using a gps is a no brainer?

LOL... I'll take the guy that knows it's a no brainer. The guy that needs a class wouldn't rise to my minimum standards of... well... a lot of things, I suspect. I can see someone that's never used one having a couple of questions, and that's fine. But, a class? Reeeaaaly??...