Window Shades

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One good and inexpensive way to increase the effeciency of your APU is with insulated window shades. My wife made ours out of the silver bubble type insulation that is sold at Lowes or Home Depot. It comes in roles and is used for wrapping hot water tanks etc. She cut it to fit the windows and sewed cloth around the edges to keep it from fraying. She used masking tape on the edges of the side window pieces and that has held up just as good as the cloth so far. It keeps the truck much cooler then the curtians that most come with. It is much darker inside so sleeping in the daytime is easier. It also blocks the lights from the parking lots or moving trucks at night. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We were lucky enough to see how Jan cut and installed Layoutshooters blinds and were impressed enough to go out and buy a roll. Ours do not look nearly as good as Layuoutshooters but they still work and have a much better seal then the kind you buy at the store. We got so carried away we put this up on the sleeper windows and even on the fantastic vent. Our Rig Master yesterday in Charlotte actually shut down in the afternoon and was able to cool the truck. Another nice benefit to the shades is they fit tight on the door windows and it is easy to open and close the doors.

The bad thing about these shades is you cannot tell if anyone is awake or not as no light gets through.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I use the[SIZE=-1]Themo-Mat Isoflex 7-layered high tech stuff f[/SIZE]rom NASA. $89.95 Comes pre-cut for a Sprinter's windows, or you can get a snotload (11.48 ft x 61 inches) of it rolled up in a do-it-yourself kit so you can cut it to fit whatever. Comes with edging and suction cups.

If I'd known about it before I insulated the van with foam panels and canned foam and the Reflectix bubble pack, I'd have insulated the entire thing with that stuff, and used a lot less of the canned foam, for sure. It's all that and a bag a chips.

Insulation kits at Eurocampers

Insulation kits at Upscale Auto

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
If possible, could you please post some pictures Layoutshooter or TeamCaffee?
We used the darkest limo window tint, static stick and it works very well until the temp gets 98 or so outside, but I'd like to see other alternatives.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you want a cheap, quick, and easy window covering for a truck...

We use SUPER jumbo pop up sun shields you can buy at Wal-Mart for about $9. They install in seconds and fold up just as quick. They fold up small and flat for easy storage. [I must admit it took me a few seconds to learn how to spring them shut].:rolleyes:

We buy the shields that are black on one side and silver on the other. Because they snap right up, we put them in the windshield every time we stop. We have found if you get the black/silver combo you can not see thru them. We are often too tired or lazy to pull the curtain around the front cab of the truck and usually just pop these shades up.

The next size down jumbo/large fit into our windows behind the shades in the sleeper and also fit nicely over the side windows of the doors by resting on the door handles. They are not nearly on the same line as the ones made above but they work!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Turtle,
I found several sources for the 'kit' for sprinters and other vehicles but I have not sourced the actual material. Who actually manufactures it?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle,
I found several sources for the 'kit' for sprinters and other vehicles but I have not sourced the actual material. Who actually manufactures it?

It made by a company called Mirco & Alex Magnani (Mirco & Alex Magnani S.r.l.) an Italian company.

They developed it back in the 70's under contract from NASA for the Space Station, and it's now marketed to RV's and the like, but it's the insulation used on the Mars Rovers, most satellites, and the Space Shuttles have all been insulated with it.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Let's see if we can get this to work, Layoutshooter

Attachments

• Shade 1.jpg
    Shade 1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Shade 2.jpg
    Shade 2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Shade 3.jpg
    Shade 3.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Shade 4.jpg
    Shade 4.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Shade 5.jpg
    Shade 5.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 37

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
What we like about cutting the shades to fit the windows is you can open and close the doors and nothing falls. There is also no area on the windshield to let any heat through. We found that the easiest way to store ours was under the bed. Jan did a much better job though on her windows.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks, Hope it works out good for you, Mrs. Layoutshooter (Jan) does really good work. Keeps me on my toes!!! layoutshooter

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
great idea!!! home depot here i come, however i gaurantee when its all done mine wont look that good....how do you attach them to the side and rear windows???? ive tried velcro but when it heats up the sun makes the velcro adhesive gooey so they fall off, also tried super glue and that solution didnt work either!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey Hondaking38, look at a couple of the pics my wife put up. She cut notches in the side window shades. We just role the windows down a bit, slide the notch up into the top of the window track and close the window. Layoutshooter