Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Re: Why we don't need liberal's ideas

< insert face palm here >

Jerry-Mouse-Facepalm-330x273.jpg

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Somehow admitting the former seems to negate the latter.

It might, if one didn't know that my job requires being in NYC, Atlanta, Memphis, Miami, Chicago, Detroit, LA, and everywhere in between. Often after dark. And alone.
But you certainly know it, [and you know I've been doing it for 10 years], which makes the passive-aggressive comments rather questionable, to say the least.
To paraphrase: it's ok if you disagree, but if you insinuate that it's due to a deficiency of common sense [or intelligence] on my part, that's not ok.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Amazing, simply, amazing. I can see that there is absolutely no point in trying to have a conversation with so many that have no desire to have one. Many have no clue and some are just more interested in playing the ridicule game. It's no wonder this country is SO messed up.

I guess that it is better to post silly, childish pictures of mini-condoms, or teeny firearms, instead of at least TRYING to discuss a serious issue in an adult manner.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

We're trying to have an intelligent conversation and you're the one who keeps talking in over the top grandiose terms. We're talking about the realities of people's reactions to seeing semi automatic rifles at Taco Bell and you want to talk about the semantics of how a military - looking assault rifle isn't really an assault rifle because it only fires one shot at a time and can be used to hunt deer, when nobody at Taco Bell give a crap about that. People scare to easily and you laugh at such rudimentary civilities a being nice. No, what's amazing is that we're trying to have a conversation and all you want to do is beat the same old beat up drum.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Amazing, simply, amazing. I can see that there is absolutely no point in trying to have a conversation with so many that have no desire to have one. Many have no clue and some are just more interested in playing the ridicule game. It's no wonder this country is SO messed up.

I guess that it is better to post silly, childish pictures of mini-condoms, or teeny firearms, instead of at least TRYING to discuss a serious issue in an adult manner.

That's hilarious, from one who has more than once derailed a serious conversation by demanding that Ragman illustrate with something silly. [And being a nice guy, Ragman does.] Or by inserting childish humor, in lieu of any intelligent comment, because : bored, right?
YOU of all people have no right to complain, because you are very often the perpetrator of silly and childish distractions from serious conversations.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

I HAVE seen MANY men, and women, (in the case of women they are not capable of ANY kind of woodie, fictional or otherwise) ...
You may wish to revisit the above idea ... after some further in-depth research ... ;)

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

If you had included "for my job" or "due to my job" or something else that clarified it wouldn't have sounded like optional choices for recreation or whatever. As written, it sounded like trips to places to eat, jazz clubs or whatever in less than ideal areas thereby making the statement appropriate and accurate. Yes, the job at times goes to places one would reject otherwise. That wasn't the implied context.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

If you had included "for my job" or "due to my job" or something else that clarified it wouldn't have sounded like optional choices for recreation or whatever. As written, it sounded like trips to places to eat, jazz clubs or whatever in less than ideal areas thereby making the statement appropriate and accurate. Yes, the job at times goes to places one would reject otherwise. That wasn't the implied context.
I realize that this is probably a lot to ask, but is there any possibility that you could hit the "Reply With Quote" button when you are replying to a particular individual ?

Since these conversations often include more than just two people, it sometimes is not apparent who you are actually talking to ... particularly when your reply doesn't immediately follow the post you are addressing, and/or when you use personal pronouns - rather than proper names - and it isn't immediately clear who they actually refer to ...

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's exactly it. Tactical, tactical, tactical... Tactical rifle, tactical knife tactical flashlight. You can even buy a titanium tactical drinking straw for $60. "Tactical" provides the bearer (and buyer / owner / fondler) a woody whereas "regular" does not.

I love pyschobabble, don't you? How is a semi auto rifle, one that can be set up for deer, target, wild boar, varmint hunting, home defense and just plain plinking, "badass"?
"Tactical" as applied commercially and described by Turtle isn't psychobabble - it's one of the most successful marketing concepts being used today on everything from guns to straws to clothing. People in today's world buy function - but they buy style first.
That "badass" mini-14 is NOT an AR to begin with. It is not capable of 1/10th of the variations of an AR style rifle. It's not even a very good or a very accurate rifle.
We'll have to agree to disagree about that too. The Mini-14 has been around since 1974, and was never intended to be the same type of rifle as the AR. It has evolved through the years and has undergone improvements in structure and changes in styling - one of which was the addition of the tactical stock to appeal to the current demand for that styling. It's a dependable, versatile weapon that wouldn't have lasted for 40 years if it wasn't living up to necessary quality standards while maintaining a reasonable price. It's all about target marketing and satisfying the demands of that customer niche.

Ruger Mini-14 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"Tactical" as applied commercially and described by Turtle isn't psychobabble - it's one of the most successful marketing concepts being used today on everything from guns to straws to clothing. People in today's world buy function - but they buy style first.

We'll have to agree to disagree about that too. The Mini-14 has been around since 1974, and was never intended to be the same type of rifle as the AR. It has evolved through the years and has undergone improvements in structure and changes in styling - one of which was the addition of the tactical stock to appeal to the current demand for that styling. It's a dependable, versatile weapon that wouldn't have lasted for 40 years if it wasn't living up to necessary quality standards while maintaining a reasonable price. It's all about target marketing and satisfying the demands of that customer niche.

I said that the Mini-14 was a sub-standard rifle, for good reason. It is not nearly as accurate or as easily repaired as an AR style rifle. It requires different magazines which are not interchangeable with other rifles, it's parts are not interchangeable and one cannot change calibers etc in any easy way. It is a "niche" rifle with limited uses.

The primary reason AR rifles are as popular as the are is simple, that is what is used in the military, when in the military those who use them are used to that, so that is what they buy. Same thing happened with every other military rifle that crossed over into the sporting world. Been that way since we have been a country.

The AR IS a better rifle, for most, not all, sporting applications, because of it's better, more functional design, it's interchangeable parts, and lighter perceived recoil across it's entire caliber range. NO other rifle, in the history of this country, is as versatile, as the AR style rifle. The more ergonomic design makes it easier to learn how to shoot, the lower recoil makes it very attractive to the female and youth crowds.

Add to that, the fact that they are just PLAIN FUN TO SHOOT and you have a winner.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
"Tactical" as applied commercially and described by Turtle isn't psychobabble - it's one of the most successful marketing concepts being used today on everything from guns to straws to clothing. People in today's world buy function - but they buy style first. It's all about target marketing and satisfying the demands of that customer niche.

We'll have to disagree on people buying "function", too. I spent a year selling cars & trucks, and when I asked the buyers what kind of utility they needed from a [pickup] truck, they all responded with everyday family things: hauling home improvement/garden items, dogs, groceries. Yet many wanted the one that was lettered "Off Road", even though [or maybe because] the only time they went off road was to pull into a driveway or parking lot.
"Macho" is a big seller, to a certain demographic, lol. ;)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

On facebook, many people don't know what I do for a living - but other drivers have no such excuse. Particularly on the site dedicated to that work, it didn't seem necessary to explain why I go into risky places after dark, and alone.
If I overestimated the capacity to grasp the basics, I apologize. I could try to 'dumb it down' some, if that'd help.....:rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Then there are the "liberal" "Thimblerig" cull dogs like Obama, and the sheep that are fool enough to follow them.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I don't need euphemisms, my life is just fine with my real experiences.

What you need is a dictionary - you clearly don't know what the word euphemisms means. BTW: you do need them, and use them, in case you didn't get the meaning of the <insert face palm here> comment. Hint: do the words "Dang gum" and "Dad blasted" ring a bell?

PS Yes, I know: I'm being 'ignored', [officially!] so the person who could learn something here won't - but maybe there's someone else who doesn't know the word, and if so, I'm happy to help. ;)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

The "SHEEP" followed, the LEADERS, lead. Some served, the rest did not. 41 is a big number, Robert knew that and Robert could float. Ifin you can't following this, you likely voted for Obama

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

euphonium-329252-266-400.jpg

Euphonium

Not to be confused with

warns.jpg

Euphemism

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

LOL!! Way to go Turtle! ( At least I THINK you got it!) Likely one of only a few that might get it on their own without help! IF one got it, they are NOT part of the flock and not likely to get fleeced!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

And Matt faced nuclear Armeddon twice. Junior, helped. (this one is REALLY HARD)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

euphonium-329252-266-400.jpg

Euphonium

Not to be confused with

warns.jpg

Euphemism

[h=2]eu·phe·mism[/h] noun \ˈyü-fə-ˌmi-zəm\ : a mild or pleasant word or phrase that is used instead of one that is unpleasant or offensive