Why we don't need liberals ideas

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So, the NRA is basically saying, "Be nice."

Layout is laughing at the NRA.

I laugh at the NRA a lot. I do belong, but it is not that good a group, it's just the best we have.

AS I said before, I don't carry open and have never carried a long gun in an other than hunting/target shooting situations. Why? I don't see the need. I also bet that, at least most, of those who pulled off this act of civil activism, would have never done so if they did not feel that their rights, and way of life, were being threatened by an increasingly oppressive government.

This stuff will not only continue, but increase, as government oppression increases, be it real or perceived.

"Playing Nice" with an oppressive government is a total waste of time and history has proven that throughout the ages. The push back is just beginning. The more the government continues to threaten the freedoms of the People the more likely such demonstrations, and down the road, more violent actions, become inevitable.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
AS I said before, I don't carry open and have never carried a long gun in an other than hunting/target shooting situations. Why? I don't see the need.
Generally speaking, for the most part, as a personal matter, I don't find someone open carrying a properly holstered side arm at all disturbing ...

That's my initial reaction - which is, of course, subject to change ... based on my continuing observation of their conduct, demeanor, and anything they might say.

Long guns can be a different story however ... depending on the context.

Particularly if they are being hand-carried or shoulder slung in a manner that indicates an apparent readiness to use them at a moment's notice in an inappropriate environment (Home Depot or Chili's would certainly qualify)

But I have also encountered hunters - who carry as above - attempting to hunt my property without permission ...

Evidently, that (their carrying) wasn't something I found particularly disturbing ... given that I went and confronted them (unarmed) in person, and then told politely them to clear off as they hadn't asked for permission first ...

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So, the NRA is basically saying, "Be nice."
No, what the author is probably trying to say while kissing the butts of Texas's open carry nitwits at the same time is "act like you've got some common sense instead of making yourselves look like a bunch of *%#@%!! rednecks." What these idiots don't realize is how counterproductive their antics are once the mainstream media and the late night clowns start using it against gun owners everywhere. If the Open Carry Texas bunch wants to burn their NRA cards, who cares?

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
NRA rolls back 'open carry' criticism

NRA rolls back 'open carry' criticism
"Open Carry Texas, one of the groups behind the recent demonstrations, had said if the NRA didn't retract the statement, Open Carry would withdraw its full support for the NRA."

Surprising the NRA would be intimidated by this bunch - let them go ahead and withdraw their "full support". Where else are they going to take it - maybe join up with some fringe militia group?

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Most all of us are ardent supporters of the 2nd admendent. Still, the image and optics of several people showing up at a public establishment openly carrying long guns is unnecessarily and deliberately provocative. It is unsettling, in-your-face provocative. They will be portrayed as gun kooks and perhaps they are.

Who could have thought this was a good idea? Carrying a gun in hand emits conflicting messages. It frightens many people, rightfully so. Far better to be discreet when carrying. People enjoying a meal with family at a restaurant probably aren't expecting the shock of armed men taking a table beside them. The saloon days of the Old West are long gone.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Most all of us are ardent supporters of the 2nd admendent. Still, the image and optics of several people showing up at a public establishment openly carrying long guns is unnecessarily and deliberately provocative. It is unsettling, in-your-face provocative. They will be portrayed as gun kooks and perhaps they are.

Who could have thought this was a good idea? Carrying a gun in hand emits conflicting messages. It frightens many people, rightfully so. Far better to be discreet when carrying. People enjoying a meal with family at a restaurant probably aren't expecting the shock of armed men taking at table beside them. The saloon days of the Old West are long gone.

Cops are armed ALL the time. THEY are intimidating. THEY represent the oppressors.

I carry concealed. They have signs in some places saying no concealed weapons. I don't take mine in, in fact, I rarely go into a place with that sign, it is a more dangerous place. Does ANYONE REALLY believe that sign stops criminals from carrying in? OR, what is more likely, it tips them off to a place were THEY are in less danger and those inside are easier targets.

People also just scare far too easy.

As I stated before, the more the government stomps, the more people WILL stomp back. This government is becoming more oppressive with each passing day. What is going to happen is going to happen, UNLESS, the government backs off.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
get a conceal-carry permit and pack a pistol . . .

smallestgun.jpg

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This one would be MUCH gooder, loaded with these. NOW you are cooking with gas! THEN, one of these, slide it on your belt, and your set to go!

SneakyPete

Attachments

• sig_p238_2.jpg
    sig_p238_2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 12
  • defense.jpg
    defense.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 12

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
No, what the author is probably trying to say while kissing the butts of Texas's open carry nitwits at the same time is "act like you've got some common sense instead of making yourselves look like a bunch of *%#@%!! rednecks." What these idiots don't realize is how counterproductive their antics are once the mainstream media and the late night clowns start using it ...
It really is encouraging to hear you say this ...

Would it just be totally out of the question to hope for a personal application of the inherent overall principle on broad, general basis ?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If an establishment has the correct signage to properly prohibit concealed carry I just don't go there and I encourage everyone else not to go there and I notify management of the idiocy of their choice. It is their choice though.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If an establishment has the correct signage to properly prohibit concealed carry I just don't go there and I encourage everyone else not to go there and I notify management of the idiocy of their choice. It is their choice though.

Yepper, you got it!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This whole open carry thing in Texas is looking more and more like that group borrowed a few chapters from the Homosexual Kama Sutra. Legally carrying concealed is not enough. We want open carry. A lawful civil union isn't enough. We want marriage. A standing shooting position isn't enough. We want prone and sitting. A prone position isn't enough. We want ...