Why Dock High ?

zack100

Active Expediter
Been reading about straights on OE and see things like "lifeblood of expediting", "shortage of dock high" and things along those lines. 1) Why is "dock high" in demand ? 2) A good starter "dock high" truck is ? - Example: a dock high box truck ? 3) Run solo and make a good living ? 4) Downside of "dock high" ?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Been reading about straights on OE and see things like "lifeblood of expediting", "shortage of dock high" and things along those lines. 1) Why is "dock high" in demand ? 2) A good starter "dock high" truck is ? - Example: a dock high box truck ? 3) Run solo and make a good living ? 4) Downside of "dock high" ?

Never seen a dock high van:rolleyes:
a straight truck with at least a 20 foot box, Class 8(converted semi tractor) is the way to go for longevity
Downside is it's not as easy to park a bigger truck, Fuel costs are higher, insurance costs are higher, depending on truck, ride is not as nice. U turns become impossible.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
1) Why is "dock high" in demand ?
Dock high is in demand for straight trucks because many places where you will get loaded and unloaded have docks that are, uhm, dock high. Many of these places do not have a ramp, and therefore cannot load or unload you unless you are dock high, or unless you are prepared to hand load and hand unload the freight. A dock high truck is the correct tool for the job.

2) A good starter "dock high" truck is ? - Example: a dock high box truck ?
Yep. A good starter dock high truck is a dock high box truck. A bad starter dock high truck is a covered wagon.

3) Run solo and make a good living ?
Define "good living".

4) Downside of "dock high" ?
The downside of using the correct tool for the job? I can't think of any.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Turtle, while using humor, makes some good points. There is certainly money to be made in vehicles that are not dock high, such as cargo vans and sprinters. However, in my estimation, the current market is flooded with vans and even sprinters now. We have the unfortunate situation where banks are not loaning money, especially to those in the transportation business. You will find many owner operators with tractors and straights are hanging on to what they have until things stabilize, rather than upgrading to new trucks. The good thing about a van is that it is a decent entry level situation that requires only a nominal investment to get started. The downside to that is that hundreds of others like yourself are willing to make the same level of investment in a time like this. Every plumber, carpenter, and carpet cleaner who ever owned a van, is wanting to know if he can throw some freight in the back and pay their bills. Because carriers continue to allow more vans on board, yet telling them that they do not have enough work to keep them busy, we have a glut. However, the van owners who are carrying CDLs with hazmat, as well as other credentials, are still able to stay ahead of the curve.

Dock high trucks are now in demand for a number of reasons, including, but not limited to:

1. More shippers are consolidating freight to save money. What you to be a daily two pallet shipment by van is now a semi-daily 4 pallet run on a straight truck. That six pallet order that used to ship as soon as it was ready on a straight is now waiting and shipping once a month by tractor trailer where possible. Unfortunately, vans are not inheriting freight from anyone beneath themselves, size-wise.

2. The banks are not excited about loaning money to anyone for a straight or tractor. All of those consolidated van loads don't have enough trucks to go on. Plus, fleets are getting older and eventually the trucks are retired. Many times now that owner is retiring with the truck.

3. Some shippers do not have ramps or ground level bay doors to load that one pallet on a van, therefore they pay to put it on a straight truck. Even more demand

All of these reasons and more are starting to put some strain on the supply of these dock high trucks.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
because the industry that we work in has docks that are made for trucks, not vans or pickups. Most of the freight that is delivered is done so by trucks that are 36 to 42 inches high and nothing lower.

I have picked up at a shipper, drive across the parking lot and hand unloaded it off my truck into a van - lift gates are great for that.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Dakota mentioned the ride isn't a nice in a ST, but i don't know. Air ride box, cab and seats, I'm pretty comfortable. And have just a 'little' more room to live in, while out for 3 weeks. :)

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Dakota mentioned the ride isn't a nice in a ST, but i don't know. Air ride box, cab and seats, I'm pretty comfortable. And have just a 'little' more room to live in, while out for 3 weeks. :)

I'll have to admit, while feeling as if I were driving while sitting on a beach ball, the air-ride cab and seats in a Freightliner class 8 are pretty doggone comfortable, even at the end of 600 miles. I really can't vouch for the Hino. Let's just say that not all trucks are created equally.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

I also said depending on the truck, I realize there are truck out there that ride on a pilllow. The run of the mill class 7 expeditor truck Hino,Freighliner M2, International with no air ride and leaf spring suspension will beat you up!!!
I also know people who are doing quite well in vans. I could never see teaming in a van, well maybe if you are married and never argue....like that would happen:D:eek:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
I could never see teaming in a van, well maybe if you are married and never argue....like that would happen:D:eek:
....................marriage was never a promise of smooth roads all the time. ya make it work. same goes for the 96" in a strt trk. no place to hide there either.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I could never see teaming in a van, well maybe if you are married and never argue....like that would happen:D:eek:

Sometimes it just means you need to separate your work and personal life, which can be hard in a van. My wife and I run team and on top of that we have 2 dogs and they are not small. I said it before, it is not for everyone but it works for us.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus

lookin' at your post count and reviewing where and what you posted and this thread makes me have to ask,....how much reading did you do before starting your career?

2) A good starter "dock high" truck is ? - Example: a dock high box truck ?.....take a look at the free classifieds. LOTS of examples.

3) Run solo and make a good living ? .....best talk to a solo driver in the back lot or the fuel island.

4) Downside of "dock high" ?....logging, scaling, hos and some walmarts won't let you in.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Never seen a dock high van:rolleyes:

Now you have!

dockhighvan1.jpg

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
lookin' at your post count and reviewing where and what you posted and this thread makes me have to ask,....how much reading did you do before starting your career?

2) A good starter "dock high" truck is ? - Example: a dock high box truck ?.....take a look at the free classifieds. LOTS of examples.

3) Run solo and make a good living ? .....best talk to a solo driver in the back lot or the fuel island.

4) Downside of "dock high" ?....logging, scaling, hos and some walmarts won't let you in.

Zack started this thread specifically because of a response I made about the need for dock high trucks as opposed to vans at the moment.

zack100

Active Expediter
Hey - this newbie was about to apologize :eek: for not understanding "dock high" is synonymous for a Straight truck......that is until Moot revealed the "dock high van" ;)

Seriously ....... regarding straights (seems to be a nagging goal). So, a question FOR ALL you straight truck drivers. It APPEARS (a newbie - remember ?) the successful straights tend to be teams. How about some details on the successful solo straight driver ?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Hey - this newbie was about to apologize :eek: for not understanding "dock high" is synonymous for a Straight truck......that is until Moot revealed the "dock high van" ;)

Seriously ....... regarding straights (seems to be a nagging goal). So, a question FOR ALL you straight truck drivers. It APPEARS (a newbie - remember ?) the successful straights tend to be teams. How about some details on the successful solo straight driver ?

The teams are more succesful due to the fact that they can keep the truck moving longer due to logging which allows them to take loads with more miles. Sure solo's can do well, but they are limited to shorter trips, If it needs to get their quick a team might win the load over a solo.
Depending on the company, vans don't have to log so they could realistically drive for 12 hours or more(not saying it's safe, but it is possible) So based on 45mph in 10 hours a solo straight could only do 450 miles in that day and if the delivery was 550 miles away a team might get it over a solo.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Ok: I'm 5'2", brown eyes - ooooh - you want to know about working as a solo :eek:
It is a fact: teams are preferred. Both for the longer straight through runs, and so that any delay/detention doesn't prevent delivering per the original schedule, too.
Solo drivers have to be able to keep up with the trip planning and paperwork as well as driving, fueling, securing the loads, and inspecting the truck [and minor repairs, such as changing burned out lights, fuses, etc].
Like everything in life, it's a tradeoff: you don't have anyone helping you, but you don't have anyone getting on your nerves, either. :D
The key to staying busy is finding a carrier that will work for you - some are not good for solos. I've found Load One to be very good - but it depends on what you drive, [don't think they're looking for cargo vans right now], and how much you want to work.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

you don't want to hear from the gay truck drivers?:rolleyes: