why are owners so crooked

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
David I couldn't agree with you more. So why has EO partnered with one of those schools? See link below. (Read the left colum)This too I have e-mailed EO and never got a response, guess someone up at EO lost that e-mail also. It dosen't make sense.

From their site.

Our 3 Phase training program costs $3,995 per person, of which Expedite Solutions will pay the first $1,745 dollars. Your commitment for the training is $2,250 per individual paid at the end of first year of driving. If you don’t complete one year of driving with Expedite Solutions you will pay the entire $3,995. The only fees you will pay for beyond personal living expenses are the cost set by the state of Indiana for CDL written and skills testing;$215 each as well as $100 dollars for your physical and drug screen.
===========================================
There is a difference between a partnership and one that pays to advertise. There is no reason one should pay these kind of fees to obtain a license.
Secondly, this is probably illegal unless you are from the state of Indiana. CDL licenses must be obtained from the state in which you are a resident. Might want to change that policy as Swift just got busted by the FBI in Memphis for issuing CDL licenses to folks who were not a resident in the state. Those CDL's issued by Swift have been revoked and students must retest to maintain their license.
Bottom line: $4000 per person to get a class B CDL? Are you kidding me?
http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_news/Daily/2009/Feb09/020909/021309-02.htm

Last edited:

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
David I couldn't agree with you more. So why has EO partnered with one of those schools? See link below. (Read the left colum)This too I have e-mailed EO and never got a response, guess someone up at EO lost that e-mail also. It dosen't make sense.

From their site.

Our 3 Phase training program costs $3,995 per person, of which Expedite Solutions will pay the first $1,745 dollars. Your commitment for the training is $2,250 per individual paid at the end of first year of driving. If you don’t complete one year of driving with Expedite Solutions you will pay the entire $3,995. The only fees you will pay for beyond personal living expenses are the cost set by the state of Indiana for CDL written and skills testing;$215 each as well as $100 dollars for your physical and drug screen.
===========================================
There is a difference between a partnership and one that pays to advertise. There is no reason one should pay these kind of fees to obtain a license.
Secondly, this is probably illegal unless you are from the state of Indiana. CDL licenses must be obtained from the state in which you are a resident. Might want to change that policy as Swift just got busted by the FBI in Memphis for issuing CDL licenses to folks who were not a resident in the state. Those CDL's issued by Swift have been revoked and students must retest to maintain their license.
Bottom line: $4000 per person to get a class B CDL? Are you kidding me?
http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_news/Daily/2009/Feb09/020909/021309-02.htm

So are they an advertiser or a partner with EO, I wouldn't use a company such as this one and I steer everyone I can away from them...I just can't believe that they have "partnered" with EO as they claim in their ad. (The claim is written in the left collum of their main page)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That may be just the terminology the advertiser uses. I have not seen EO use that in an ad of any type. I have never heard of them as a partner of EO.

Last edited:

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
That may be just the terminology the advertiser uses. I have not seen EO use that in an ad of any type. I have never heard of them as a partner of EO.

I think so also, and if I was EO, I would encourage them to remove that claim. If I didn't know better, and I was looking for a company and read this claim that they have partnered with EO, then based on EO's reputation I would be inclined to go with them. Then when I got ripped off, EO would be included in the suit as they are indicated as a partner and never made any disclaimer to such. EO has an excellent reputation and a responsibility to protect that reputation. Expedite Solutions' ad dose not read as a paid advertisement but a partner...a really huge difference.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
I agree, if I was EO, I would have them remove the immediately. They scammed us, but we didn't have a cdl B, so we thought we had to go to school for it. :rolleyes: We found out, we could of learned everything at home, because all they did was give us a book and told us what to study and probably only difference the school made, was the fact they had a truck for use to physically look at. At the time, our son-in-law drove a TT, so we could of used his on the weekends to learn what ever thing actually looked like.

Any ways, EO needs to do something about them saying they are partners with them. Its going to bring bad reputation to them. Here is what it says if some have not actually went to the page:

Expediters Online is the leading provider of media services to the Expedite Industry. For nearly a decade, Expediters Online has worked within the expedite community to increase networking, promote professionalism and meet its customers needs. Through its radio shows, newsletters, workshops, magazine and internet portal, Expediters Online informs and entertains millions of people every year. Expedite Solutions has partnered with Expediters Online to reach even more candidates interested in getting started in the fast paced world of expedite freight hauling! With career opportunities for every experience level, Expedite Solutions serves as a “Gateway to the Expedite Industryâ€.

And here is the definition of partner:

part·ner (pärt'nər) Pronunciation Key
n.

1. One that is united or associated with another or others in an activity or a sphere of common interest, especially:
1. A member of a business partnership.
2. A spouse.
3. A domestic partner. See Usage Note at domestic partner.
4. Either of two persons dancing together.
5. One of a pair or team in a sport or game, such as tennis or bridge.
2. Nautical A wooden framework used to strengthen a ship's deck at the point where a mast or other structure passes through it. Often used in the plural.

v. part·nered, part·ner·ing, part·ners

v. tr.

1. To make a partner of.
2. To bring together as partners.
3. To be the partner of.

v. intr.
To work or perform as a partner or partners.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I don't know about the partnering thing, it is like others claiming to be partners with their company, maybe?

If Lawrence is in fact partnered with them, maybe he could clarify it for us and the people reading these posts instead of having us assume.

But in order for you to teach in the state of Michigan, you have to be an established brick business (no home businesses) and have to be up front with everything in order for the state to 'allow' you to teach driving skills - the exception is skills training on private property. I feel all states should adopt something along the lines of teaching schools be only teaching schools and none of this "you work off the cost driving for us" crap.

The other thing that I truly feel needs to be done is revamping the tests to the skills needed to drive a truck. Outside of a multiple choice question, no one has to prove they know how the brakes work on the truck or how to check them. I have helped a bunch of people out with some of these skills during my downtime and just this weekend taught a couple how to do maintenance on their brand new truck which the dealer refused to take an hour with them and go through the truck (I told them to return the thing).

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Well I don't know about the partnering thing, it is like others claiming to be partners with their company, maybe?

Those partners with or partnered with lines are used by carriers to pump up the drivers ego and make them feel more important then they really are. As far as Expedite Solutions, they may be using this partnered with line to add credibility to there company.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Those partners with or partnered with lines are used by carriers to pump up the drivers ego and make them feel more important then they really are. As far as Expedite Solutions, they may be using this partnered with line to add credibility to there company.

And they use EO's logo. Your point is exactly why EO should take action (unless they are infact partners). I hate to think that someone gets ripped because of their claim. Look at their ad, note the LOGO and the claim. Any court would hold EO jointly liable for the actions of Expedite Solutions. It comes down to Civil Law 101...the "BUT FOR" clause...in the case, But for the partnership with EO, I would have never signed on with.... An ad would not have the same standard, however a partnership would.

http://www.expeditesolutions.com/expeditersonline.aspx

Last edited:

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Expedite Solutions is definitely bad news. They are a scam, a rip-off and they do things shadily. We had to list our residence as their little "house" in Indy where you stay during the 11 days of "training". When we went to get our CDL's that was the address that we had listed on our license, and when we went back to Michigan after, we had to go to the Secretary of State's office and change the address to Michigan. That is how they are able to get away with their having their "students" get their license in IN.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Expedite Solutions is definitely bad news. They are a scam, a rip-off and they do things shadily. We had to list our residence as their little "house" in Indy where you stay during the 11 days of "training". When we went to get our CDL's that was the address that we had listed on our license, and when we went back to Michigan after, we had to go to the Secretary of State's office and change the address to Michigan. That is how they are able to get away with their having their "students" get their license in IN.

FYI According to Indiana statue a CDL training school in the state of Indiana must be a minimum of 15 classroom days. Also, everyone involved in the training (all) must be a certified classroom instructor. HMMMM Is Kyle a certified instructor? OOPS! NO. heeheehee! Is Stephnie a certified instructor? OOPS! No, not even a CDL holder, heeheehee, Is Adam a certified Instructor? OOPS! NO again! Not even a CDL holder. heeheehee, Is Chad a certified instructor, OOPS Nope! What about Charles? Is he certified to teach, nope, don't think sooooo! Oh my! Seems like not only is their school under the min for teaching days but there is not a single licensed instructor. Oh yeah, I didn't know EO was their partner, hey Lawrence any change of getting a check from ya, say for, like, ahhhh nine grand? heeheehee! :D

Oh yeah, FOOT NOTE: For my 'orientation' they had me teaching the pre-trip to the others! heeheehee, Nope, I'm not a certified teacher either! :D

Last edited:

sheetmom

Seasoned Expediter
Worked with Expedite Solutions for the past few years now. The last year which ended in December of 2008. They owe me over 1500 dollars now and wont reply to any of my contacts. As for their add about EO thats insane. Stay clear of this company in Anderson In, the ones with the gold brown trucks with the GREEN SHAMROCK on them. Keep on Trukin.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am not trying to knock Expedite Solutions for any reason but I have a problem with the level of skills some drivers have and blame a lot on the easy tests that are used.

I understand that they may be good for some, bad for others but with our present situation in this business, the carriers are just as much to blame as the people themselves when it comes to how things work out.

Like I said before, the feds should modify the regs to include sub-contractors in the contract process - meaning that the carrier has to have a copy of the contract between the driver and the owner, no expections. This will put a stop to a lot of BS that is going on by the simple fact that the carrier is now involved.

As for schooling, training or what ever you call it, having people change their license, having people train without proper insurance, proper permits and so on is rather dangerous - regardless who it is. Again the carrier who is allowing the drivers who have zero experince on the road under their banner should step in and stop allowing drivers go through this process, as should the state of Indiana.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think the partner thing is one sided. If they were partnered in any way, I think they would have a advertisement on here.
They did at one time and that is all I know.
As for the schooling thing, I am certainly not comfortable with what I am reading. Whether it is the price, procedures, qualifications or anything else if it is accurate information.
Having out of state folks living in a house for a week or two to claim residency, is another huge flag if that is what they are doing. Kinda would borderline on fraud if you claim that address as a residence while actually living out of state. Not saying that is happening, but if it is, could have some future issues with the CDL license. They closed the Swift school down in Memphis because of this. I put that link in another post.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
I think the partner thing is one sided. If they were partnered in any way, I think they would have a advertisement on here.
They did at one time and that is all I know.
As for the schooling thing, I am certainly not comfortable with what I am reading. Whether it is the price, procedures, qualifications or anything else if it is accurate information.
Having out of state folks living in a house for a week or two to claim residency, is another huge flag if that is what they are doing. Kinda would borderline on fraud if you claim that address as a residence while actually living out of state. Not saying that is happening, but if it is, could have some future issues with the CDL license. They closed the Swift school down in Memphis because of this. I put that link in another post.

Yep, that's what they do. When you get to their so-called school, they send you for your physical right away. Then they give you a book from the drivers license place and tell you to study it. They give you a list of what you need to know to pass the pre-trip and air brake part of the test and tell you to memorize it. They show you once around a truck where everything is and tell you to practice with the other couple you are in "school" with.. and say "The test is in 3 days. Know it all by then."

They tell you that when you go to get your CDL to put down the address of the house where you stay during their "school" as your residence address, and that after you get your license and go back to your home state you will have to change it to that state.

Once you pass the written part of the test, one of their instructors takes you out on Saturday to a part of Indy with very little traffic and you drive around the block a few times until you get comfortable driving, then they take you on some city streets and finally on the interstate. Then you get to go to a truck stop and learn how to fuel the truck.

On Sunday, you spend a few hours backing up on the range, and on either Monday or Tues of the next week an "instructor" rides with you while you drive down the interstate to another town to a truck stop to practice (just once) backing into a parking spot between other trucks.

On Wed or Thurs, they have you go take the rest of the tests to get the CDL, (pti, air brake, backing, driving) and Fri they assign you one of their crappy old trucks and bring out this huge contract to sign. That day is the first and only day that you see the contract.

In between all of the above, you quickly learn how to do logs, how you're going to make all this money even though they will be taking some deductions (which according to them really aren't much. HA!), go through some kind of funky "motivational" course that's supposed to teach you how to be this great business person, and learn how to plan a route using their gps system that they want to charge you a fortune for. Don't have a laptop? No problem, you can pay a fortune for one of their old crappy ones, but it's just a loan. You have to give it back when you are done with it.

All of this takes place in less than 2 weeks. As yesteryear stated, the "school" is not certified, the "instructors" are not certified and they charge you a fortune for everything.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If those items are components in the contract you signed, I think I would visit a attorney. That contract likely isn't worth the paper it is printed on if that is a part of it. Hard for a court to enforce a fraudulent activity. If you owe them money, I don't believe it can be enforced. Might even have some options for damages if your CDL is in jeopardy or any damage has been done to your credit rating? Another attorney question that would be worth the few bucks based on what I am reading here. Hopefully they close that mess down.

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
It is funny, however, when you have been there and been abused by a truck owner it becomes not quite as funny. I understand this poster as we also were abused by a truck owner. The first truck owner we drove for still owes us somewhere around 9000.00. This truck owner required drivers maintain 6000. in what they referred to as a 'savings account' (it is, for them), they require the driver to pay fuel but they hold back the first 2 weeks of FSC and then pay once amonth so they always owe the driver 6 weeks of FSC, then they also hold back 2 weeks of load pay. So at the end the driver is owed 6000 (from savings) 6 weeks FSC and 2 weeks load pay. Needless to say the driver never sees what is owed them on the last day of driving. (And that does not even include all the tolls, and other deductions that the truck owner cannot explain that were withheld from drivers checks) I know lots of you will say take him to court and sue him. It's not that easy. Biggest issue is the time and money involved in taking him to court. That is what these dishonest truck owners count on and why they keep getting away with. Unfortunately carriers do not back drivers on this issue, they also let these dishonest truck owners get away with what they are doing, which really makes them just as cupable as the dishonest truck owners. If the carriers would step in when there is repeat complaints on a truck owner then maybe some of this abuse would stop. :rolleyes:

Yesteryear,

Try Legalzoom.com. If your claim fits in small claims court, Legalzoom will prepare your complaint and filing for $60 last time I checked. In any event, you might call Legalzoom and see how they might help you.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
inkasnana is telling the truth. I did not take the CDL 'training' so I mainly stayed at the house. It was quite amusing on the days I did go with the others to the 'training'.

The one I found most amusing was the 'marraige counseling' provided by Stephnie. lol (take my husband and I for example, our children are 30 and 20, married before this little girl was even a twinkle in her daddys eye! lol) This little girl is somewhere in her mid-twenties, never married, with a small child. Hmmmm marriage counseling by a young un-wed mother who's never experienced marraige. Ooooo Kay! :D

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Yesteryear:
How can you let someone get in your pocket "for some where around $9000.00" and not take them to court.
I would GUESS, that $9000.00 is well past any Small Claims Coutrt.