who is slow

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The Logans Roadhouse in Laredo is one of my Favorite places to eat, i go there very time I am down there...I give my current carrier 48 hrs to get me out of there, if they don't I start movin north...Sittin for 3-4-5 days anywhere is just plain goofy...it cost you money, so you might as well move to another area and take the chance on getting out....

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I turned down a run from Pa to Laredo today. GOOD THING...I do not want stuck there for days!!

Now this is the way to make money in this business....turning down those fifteen hundred milers!!

You newbs taking note????

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Now this is the way to make money in this business....turning down those fifteen hundred milers!!

You newbs taking note????

Yah stuck in in 72 and sunny for few days after making more $ in 24 hrs then you would ever make..legally.........Yah I would say no to...
Sounds like people are sitting everywhere....

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Originally Posted by ErieBigDawg
I turned down a run from Pa to Laredo today. GOOD THING...I do not want stuck there for days!!

LOL, yea...you just made a much of new friends in dispatch...:rolleyes: the next thing you will be whining about is that dispatch isn't calling me....wonder why that will be....:rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Originally Posted by ErieBigDawg

LOL, yea...you just made a much of new friends in dispatch...:rolleyes: the next thing you will be whining about is that dispatch isn't calling me....wonder why that will be....:rolleyes:

Yup....turn down a 1500 miler and get stuck for days in warm weather and get another 1500 miler back out....who wouldn't turn that down....pick me....

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
What is with the "rolleyes".....thing...hmmm
Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

ErieBigDawg

Seasoned Expediter
I'm NOT looking for warm weather and JUST trying to make money NOT sit in warm weather.

This trip would have involved 500 miles DEADHEAD. Not worth it!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sometimes...BUT not this time! AND when they do...it JUST covers fuel!

May want to switch carriers or your calculator is different than mine. Just on simple math assuming the carrier pays 1.50 total rate, and fuel is factored at $3.50 per gallon against 8MPG, I see 2000 miles with adding your 500 DH to come out to $625.
That is assuming you get nothing at all for DH
Not sure why you would DH 500 miles either, but that is another post.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sometimes...BUT not this time! AND when they do...it JUST covers fuel!

Lets look at the big picture Dawg...

ok 500 DH this load...which is about 33% DH one way..now ya sit in Laredo say 3 days....another load...the DH will almost be 0....for say another 1500 miler....now your DH is just about 16% which is acceptable...

BTW...your DH pay is NOT supposed to cover ALL your fuel...just supposed to offset.

Dawg..you have to look at the big picture...not just one load at a time....Good Luck..:)

ErieBigDawg

Seasoned Expediter
THANKS for all your info...LOOKS like I made a rookie mistake.

I will have to learn to see the "BIG" picture and NOT make so hasty of a decision.

That is what is "GREAT" about this forum. There is a vast amount of info available and many different view points.

Thanks for your help!

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I agree Dawg needs to switch companies or just add more companies to his list. Dawg is a good guy he is new to the industry he will learn with time as we all did. here is how I figured his laredo run if it was me in a sprinter like him.

1676 miles @ $1.05 pm = $1759
fuel average 18mpg = 95 gallons $332.50
sit in laredo for maybe 5 days = $100 food
dead head to houston 317 miles $60 fuel
=$1267 in the very worst case scenario in his pocket.

Now the problem is he drives for a outfit that likes to play tricks on their drivers I know I told that company to hit the road. They probably were trying to get him to haul the load for .80 cpm or some ridiculous low ball rate. And with that I do not blame him for turning down the load at all.

I will not mention his company at all and dawg if I was you I wouldn't either many lil cry baby tattle tale snitches on here. just make your life quiet and smooth there bro and add more companies to your list and stand tall and firm on rates for your truck.

THANKS for all your info...LOOKS like I made a rookie mistake.

I will have to learn to see the "BIG" picture and NOT make so hasty of a decision.

That is what is "GREAT" about this forum. There is a vast amount of info available and many different view points.

Thanks for your help!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have been busy since week two.

On the DH. It is all how you look at it. We look at it as just part of the run. We add the DH and run mileage and then divide the entire mess out. If it pays good enough and meets all other needs, we take it. We just did a 420 mile DH last week. All miles, DH included, it paid around $2 per mile. Don't matter to me if we are loaded or empty. Two bucks is two bucks.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The DH on that load was actually 25%. 2000 total miles 1/4 of them DH. As OVM said, add the trip out of Laredo to it and the % gets very livable...IF... you get a decent loaded rate to begin with.

If your with a lowball carrier...SWITCH CARRIERS! Feeding these lowball carriers by staying leased to them is just allowing them to survive another day and take advantage of another driver. IMHO

idtrans

Expert Expediter
90 including fuel or plus fuel?

he is a oo ! 90 is to the truck so he has to pay for sprinter, fuel, services, tires, and insurance.

.90 is about the going rate but of course short runs pay higher if your with a honest carrier that cares about the drivers and long runs will pay a your base usually unless your lucky.

I would say if dawg is in a newer extended high top sprinter his rate should be at $1 minimum per mile. now if dawg is in a low top short sprinter then .90 is doing good since a low top sprinter is darn near a hair bigger than a standard cv.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Jeff,

Keeping busy? Have not talked to you in a few weeks. Im curious to know if some of these companies allow o/o's to seek out there own freight when its slow for them. I have a panther driver that calls me weekly for loads when they are slow. Im usually successful helping them get loaded. I send the rate confirmation to their dispatch and I provide the addresses and directions. Call me soon. Be safe!!

Lawerence for EO is setting up my avatar and signature. Cant wait! Im just not computer savy.

John D. Clark Jr.
CEO
J.D. Clark Logistics,Inc.