WHO From EO, Has Helped You the Most?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
For the most part people come here for info on this industry. Be it what carrier is the best, how much money can i make, and all of the questiones we have seen over and over again.

We also get questions from newbies and veterans alike on how to do something or how does this work.

I spent a good year reading here gathering information on more then a few topics. While I had family in the trucking industry and even drove TT's back in the day for a few summers for my dad, and I was a certified Auto / Light Truck mechanic yrs ago and have a good working ability to lean on to put my van together, there certainly were issues I wasn't as strong on as some here were. Alot of people contribute here.

I have for most of my adult life worked for myself, so starting a business was not something i was unfamiliar with. Business plans and financial info was not an issue. My issues were mainy going past the basic info I already had into more technical areas, both from the business and mechanical (setting up my 1st van) side of things.

So after that 1st yr and then 3.5 yrs in the business, I have taken alot of info are EO....Over that time while I learned alot, I also tired to give back what i have learned and gained from the mistakes I made (the hammock incident comes to mind :D).

Leaving the "Soapbox" stuff out of posting here, I try to give back myself and i get alot of "how do you" pm's..I have even had recruiters tell people to contact me as "He seems to know what he is doing in this business"...Now this is not a post to brag on myself..the point is I have tried to give back what I have learned here and the general info I already had coming in.

So why this post? Well as I am in the process of setting up my new CargoMax (it s ongoing), there is alot I carried over from my old van and there is info I had to dig up from the "Stickies" in the Truck Forum on CV's and now Sprinters too.. As i went through those old post, there was a reoccuring pattern...I had taken alot of info in the past from several posters, but has I went about setting up my new truck, it became apparent that one poster has goes way out of his way to provide info that I am sure all of us have used...I know I did in the past and more so now with a bigger truck...

From how to charge your house bank batteries, to which batteries to use. From how to set up the charging system to the seat cushions I sit on...to financial info to GPS and computer info, from how to insulate your van to how to heat it in the winter and keep it cool in the summer...And I know his advise has been used by members in ST's and TT's not just CV's and Sprinters..

This member has been nothing short of a wealth of info...While we might not agree on alt in the "Soapbox", thank you Turtle for all that you have contributed to aking my life on the road easier...I think I can speak for alot of people here, you have been great at sharing all the that you know...Thanks Turtle!! It has been and is greatly appreciated...:)

Oh and not to forget the venue, Thanks to EO and all of you that put this place together s that we can benefit form each other and your effrts....

karp01

Active Expediter
I would like to add ChefDennis to the thank you for helping page.
I have asked questions and he answered on many occasions with great advise.When i needed information and he thought someone might be better suited for that answer he pointed me in the right direction.
I was searching for a group to help with decisions on getting involved with expediting and am happy to have discovered EO and Chef Dennis.
I have been a lurker for a while and decided to register due to the quality of information here at EO

With out people like Turtle, Chefdennis and many others here I would have moved on right away. I hope to be here a long time running my business and learning something new everyday.
Thanks again to all of you who take the time to help out new people.

Larry

moose

Veteran Expediter
O.K, i'm in on the butt kissing thread.
can i choose more then one ?

business wise it will be Frank catz

inspiration : Ateam, the Caffee's,

POV : Dennis (after the election it was like WTF they do to my country ? )

don't do the Sprinter thing : OVM. (thanks)

Fun : Louixo (somehow he is sitting on my same Email address book )

having a strong feeling of De'jaVoo : LOS ...

having a place to post : Priceless . (don't take it literally)

Reactions: 1 person

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That's a difficult question to answer. I have picked up countless, business-useful tips and tricks from a wide variety of Open Forum members, including those who may have only a few posts to their credit.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Hey, theres no butt kissin, Heck Turtle and I have had many a head butt'in...While I have taken alot of info from alot of people...Turtle far and away has been the most benefical to me in alot of areas in this business..especially on the technical side.

And yea more then one is a given..When I posted my locations on the Monthly location thread, Moose often times had a great place or site to see in alot of areas!!

There are too many to list that have provided info on Great places to eat...and the list goes on...but far and away, look at the number of post made by Turtle to help others here...

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
And yea more then one is a given..WhenI posted my locations on the Monthlu location thread, Moose often times had a great place or site to see in alot of areas!!

well, slow down little fella, i only being in this country for 10 years str8, and having a hard time reading this, any typo maybe ?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
lol , yeap "typo" is can always find its way into most of my post...I have been going back and reading to correct them for a while, but I am cooking as I posted that one and this oe...Laptops on the counter are good for more then keeping recipes from getting "food stains" on them...LOL..

LOL, I fixed them...:)

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Boy I am racking my brain and it is starting to hurt....:cool:

Back when I started..there was Teacel who ran dedicated CV's out of Pittsburg and the DD's and of course Terry M was a great help....the late Jeff Jensen and our own LM....not many CV'ers back then that I can remember...and being from Canada I was almost on my own here....there was no sprinters back or hybrids thereof...

Oh I almost forgot Uncle Truck...Mark, I miss your calm cool advice..even tho he was a straight truck, back then Buffalo was my closest US city...

Then all you rookies came along....Enemy, Chef, Turtle..EB, The Bliz....so many now..in each and every one there is so much information....like individual brain cells brought into a central mass forming one super cell.....

Called....EO:D

Thanks for the memories....Ken aka OVM

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
From how to charge your house bank batteries, to which batteries to use. From how to set up the charging system to the seat cushions I sit on...to financial info to GPS and computer info, from how to insulate your van to how to heat it in the winter and keep it cool in the summer...And I know his advise has been used by members in ST's and TT's not just CV's and Sprinters..
Well, people do keep calling me a "know-it-all". <snort> :D

Thanks, Dennis. That's very kind. :)

I try to help out others when I can, because I appreciate all the countless others who have made the effort and taken the time to post helpful information on a variety of subjects for me an others to use and enjoy. I know what an impact this kind of information has had and still has on me, giving me information I can use or in sparking ideas of my own, so if I can help someone out in return then I've done my job. When I am unable to do that, I at least hope it's an entertaining read. I'd hate to waste people's time in reading my stuff if they can't get at least something out of it.

As for who on EO has helped me the most, again it's all those who have taken the time to recount their experiences and post their knowledge and ideas for which others may benefit. It's quite a laundry list, and as Phil so aptly noted, many of whom I have no doubt forgotten, who may have only a few posts to their credit.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Absolutely nobody! In fact, after a couple prospective drivers that somehow found me via eo, I quit even inviting them to take a look. Interesting and entertaining tho.

I'm beginning to think it must be REALLY slow out here with all this bs I been looking at.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Another Thank you goes to Jack Berry and EBSprintin for taking the time to compile and continue to add post on CV's and Sprinters in the Stickies in the Truck forum for everyone to find the answers to most of their questions...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Absolutely nobody! In fact, after a couple prospective drivers that somehow found me via eo, I quit even inviting them to take a look. Interesting and entertaining tho.

I'm beginning to think it must be REALLY slow out here with all this bs I been looking at.
I am sorry...forgot about ya....lol

for a quick head knock and back to reality head shake...Thanks!

BTW: my "don't wanna" list is a wee bigger then when I first started...

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
In the early days, as Ken mentioned, it was Teacel (Tony), Weave or Uncle Truck (Mark) who is a walking encyclopedia on truck issues, Davekc, and even though he came in after us, Phil.

The ones that have helped us the most all through the years and continue are Lil'foot from PA and her man, Maverick. Rarely in my life have I had friends as these that are so helpful, loyal, and trustworthy.

Now when you fast forward to today, everyone here has something to share and most times it's of benefit to the membership. None of us should get so "grown up" that we can't learn something new.

Oh and I learned from Lawrence that if you post a farting sound "at" another member.........you will get banned! :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Another Thank you goes to Jack Berry and EBSprintin for taking the time to compile and continue to add post on CV's and Sprinters in the Stickies in the Truck forum for everyone to find the answers to most of their questions...
Big time, huge. It cannot be overstated how important that kind of organizing of information can be.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
When I started our research this site was where we turned to everyday to read and learn.

The two that stick out most in my mind are Jeff Jenson and Terry O'Connell and I read everything they posted.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I dont want to come off as a know it all,but I was in expedite for so long,had to learn it the hard way.There was no EO,so know one to ask questions with.Most of everyone at the time was afraid you were taking their loads,so others didnt help either.I put together a where to go and not go in my book,and usually didnt pay attention to my self,those that know me will agree.Ive helped many others but,cant remember ever getting any help.
You learn from your mistakes,and I made many,but its always been profitable.AT Roberts,my name was always brought up for turning loads down,but For the 1st three years I was the highest paid tractor there,and mostly running solo,the good old days.Bobby Bobbit was always saving my butt.
Well,I'm in a new venture now,pullin refridgerted freight,with a leased truck so I can get mine back on the road.So far looks good but new broom sweeps clean.10 days and 6500 miles on truck.