Which Lane

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
When going through a city on an Interstate with more then two lanes which lane is safest? Which lane do you stay in to be safest and legal.

I have heard both stay in the middle lane or second lane from the right and others stay in the right lane.

Staying in the center lane we do not have to change lanes when someone merges onto the interstate but others have to pass us on the right.

The other is to stay in the right lane so that if there is an emergency you have an out.

Which lane do you use and why?

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I stay to the right whenever possible.
I don't like being passed on the right.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Right lane, the merge-related accidents I witnessed were cars striking other cars in the left lane while trying to avoid a merge-collision. The cars that stay in the right lane and simply adjust speed, avoid contact...experience from many years driving in Miami Florida.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Right Lane on Interstate. I drive slower than most folks.

Middle Lane in the city.

Traffic usually heavy and adjoining interstates and roads can suddenly appear to the left or right. Being in the middle lane in the city traffic, I might only have to move one lane to left or right to merge into interconnecting road or interstate.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I was taught in driving school that if I am keeping up with traffic to travel in the second lane from the right. Otherwise, the right lane.

eb

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
REMEMBER THIS WHEN DRIVING OVER SEAS LEAVE YOUR SELF AN OUT PEROID. IF THE RIGHT LANE HAS A SHOULDER THATS AN OUT. IF THE FAR LEFT LANE HAS A SHOULDER THATS AN OUT. if YOU GOT 2 JABRONIES IN STRAIGHT TRUCKS ON EACH SIDE OF YOU AND YOUR A TRACTOR TRAILER YOU DONT GOT AN OUT DO YA. SIMPLE ISNT IT.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I was always taught, on 3 or more lanes through a city, from right to left "Local, Travel and Hammer lanes". Always use the Travel.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
center lane - because people in this country have forgotten or not taught how to properly merge, and that includes other truck drivers...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
People will have their opinions, usually with logical-sounding rationale behind it. Back just before I got my learner's permit I began to get interested in the nuts and bolts of how to drive a car, because it was something that was quickly approaching as I got closer to my 16th birthday. I would pump whoever was driving the car with questions about why they were doing that they were doing, at the time they were doing it. One of those questions was why they were in the lane they were in. One of my cousins gave an answer that made the most sense to someone who didn't yet drive, and it turns out to be the right answer.

When you have a choice between a controlled access highway (freeway, Interstate, etc.) and a boulevard with lots in intersections and shopping parking lots with people entering and exiting the road all over the place, you'll generally want to choose the controlled access highway because it minimizes the interactions and thus the chances for an accident. The three (or more) lanes on an Interstate present the same scenario, where each lane presents more chances for interactions and accidents.

In the right lane, you have people exiting the highway, some of whom will slow down often without warning. You also have people in the center lane sometimes changing lanes to the right lane at the last possible second in order to exit the Interstate. In addition, you have people entering the Interstate on the entrance ramps which present interactions from those speeding up or slowing down or changing lanes to accommodate the merging traffic. In the right lane, while you do have an "out" on the shoulder, you're dealing with some merging traffic from the right, and an entire lane of traffic to your immediate left that you have to deal with and be defensive about, there is usually heavier traffic in the right lane, and also, possibly the most crucial factor, the wildly varying speeds in your lane due to merging traffic and people changing lanes at the last second.

In the center lane, as IRT noted, you lose your "out" in case of an emergency. Also, now you have to deal with traffic not just to your left but also to your right. You'll have sudden lane changes from both side to get into the center lane that you have to deal with. You're moving in the out of blind spots of drivers in the left and right lanes, as well. Every lane change and pass presents an interaction.

In the far left lane, you generally have your "out," you rarely have merging traffic or exiting traffic to your left, and you only have to deal with moving traffic to your immediate right. The far left lane clearly presents the fewest interactions and opportunities for accidents.

So, when you think it through logically, the left lane is the safest, the middle lane is less safe, and the right lane is the least safest lane in which to drive.

So then, you look at the actual data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, see how it stacks up with some logic and critical thinking. As part of their National Automotive Sampling System (NASS) have the Crashworthiness Data System, which is the detailed data on a representative, random sample of thousands of minor, serious, and fatal crashes. The NASS CDS doesn't specifically track lane of travel for accident data, but the accident narrative reports do list the lanes of travel when the lanes are known. Approximately 30% of the narrative reports (100,000 reports give or take) list a lane of travel as being pertinent to the accident.

Of the lanes listed, accidents in the far right lane represent 46 percent of the accidents, the middle is at 37 percent, and the left lane is at 17 percent.

Those percentages compare quite nicely to the 'opportunities for interactions' logic - the lane with the most opportunities for interactions, and thus the least safe, is the right lane, followed by the middle lane, and finally the left lane being the safest.

What most people do, however, is when there are three or more lanes, is use the right lane when traveling at a slower speed than traffic, the left lane for passing, and the center lane for cruising. If everybody did that, there wouldn't be very many accidents. But some in the right lane tend to speed, passing center lane vehicles on the right, even thinking they can speed almost at will in the right lane because they won't get a ticket (because they're not in the left lane), and others who are in the center lane who don't drive at a consistent speed (or too slow of a speed - impeding traffic) because they figure if someone wants to go around them there are two other lanes to choose from (not realizing that big trucks cannot use the left lane at all and in most states it's illegal (tho rarely enforced) to pass on the right). These people who hang out in the center lane and impede traffic make an almost conscious decision to not be courteous, even though they think they're not being rude and inconsiderate at all. Because they're in their 'center lane comfort zone' it creates the habit of not changing lanes (sometimes not ever, almost defiantly), and not looking into mirrors and they tend to stop being aware of the traffic around them.

But it's important to keep in mind that the above percentages for the three lanes are for those who were involved in accidents, not for everyone traveling on he road. They don't necessarily predict a likelihood of an accident. The primary factors in having an accident, regardless of lane, are speed, speed differential between you and others around you, and the amount of traffic on the road. A major factor which cannot be dismissed is the lane percentages also correspond quite accurately to the amount of traffic each lane has. Simply, the left lane has far less traffic so it will naturally show a lower percentage of accidents than the other two lanes. The center lane as more, and the right lane has the most traffic. But the numbers do make it clear enough that the left lane is the safest, then the middle, then the right lane. Just as important as the numbers, however, is the essence of good driving is not adhering to a hard and fast set of rules, but driving with common sense and courtesy. Sometimes you don't want anything to do with the left lane, despite is being the safest lane, and it's the right or middle lane where you should be.

In heavy traffic, I tend to stick to the middle lane and use the left lane for passing, moving back to the middle lane to let those who must exceed the speed limit to pass me in the left lane. If the left lane is moving along at the speed limit without a lot of speeders I'll usually stay in the left lane, because it's safer.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I use the right most of the time except when in a heavy entrance exit area I found people don't exit correctly and entry is even worse!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I agree with Turtle, IF you're driving a four wheeler. In a big truck, I like to use the middle lane. We can't ride the left lane in most cities, and the right lane is too unpredictable. If it's not bumper to bumper, being in the middle lane leaves two outs. As far as impeding traffic, too bad. I have no need to drive 80 in a 55, and I will not be relegated to the granny lane, where no one knows how to merge anymore.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Some Cities/Towns get it right when they post a sign that reads "thru traffic use left lane" "No need to complicate the simple"!

However, that requirement by a Muni is contrary to the figgur'in of some highly held Safety Guru's.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Usually the right, sometimes the middle to set up for left exits or real heavy merging traffic. I saw a truck yesterday running under the posted limit in the center lane for miles of mostly rural interstate in a state with no trucks in the left lane, that forces faster traffic, even trucks to pass on the right, that driver was creating a hazard in my opinion. I find the right lane more relaxing evening with lots of merges, you don't have to be as vigilant about people trying to pass on both sides and you have that escape route.

TS (Shelby)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I prefer the middle lane. As Turtle's post mentioned, there are fewer "opportunities for interaction" than the right lane, and if I'm not passing, I don't belong in the left lane, even when it's allowed.
The 'opportunities for interaction' is why I dislike driving in states with different speeds for trucks & cars: it requires far more passing & lane changing, not all of which is done with patience or care.

dalejrroks

Active Expediter
Depends on the current situation. If there are not a lot of on and off ramps and traffic is flowing good I will choose the right lane and reduce my speed about 5 mph. This allows me to maintain a constant speed and give entering traffic an easier time merging. This has actually saved my bacon several times in avoiding a major pile up. Like the one in 2002 near the TN/GA line. If there is going to be a lot of interstate junctions or it is getting to be rush hour traffic I will move one lane over from the right and still maintain the 5 mph reduced speed. In the instance I am on an interstate that will split ahead I will use the furthest right hand lane that will allow me go the direction I want as my starting point.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have also used the center lane when going through cities and the heavier the traffic the more I stick to the center lane. While talking with some veteran drivers they were askance that I would do such a thing.

Both drivers said just what dalejrroks said they say in the right lane slow down a bit and keep a steady speed. Their reasoning was that they have more outs that way if something goes wrong and are not "trapped" in the middle. They want the right shoulder as an escape ramp. Since I have posted this I have been working my way over the right lane and trying it out. What I do not like is trying to find that right speed so that I do not wake Bob by speeding up or slowing down.

The left lane is something I am never in unless it is a left lane exit and then I get out as soon as possible. I drive way to slow to be in that lane.

The comments have really been interesting and I am sure I am not the only that appreciates all of the reasons of why stay in a certain lane.

Reactions: Lawrence